Sign in to follow this  
MT73

Error on Out Call

What happens if an umpire wrongly calls a player out?

Example:

Two outs with runners in 1rst and 3rd.

Batter strikes out but catcher drops the pitch.

Batter starts running to first but P/U ( thinking it was one out) shouts “Batter out! Batter out””

which causes the batter to stop before touching first and heads toward the dugout.

Looking for any case book in Fed and OBR.  

Umpires have the ability to place runners where they feel they would be absent the incorrect call. In this, the umpires would need to determine if B/R would have advanced without being out; if so, sounds like bases loaded with 2 outs.

Here's a relevant case play (I thought I remembered one that had the same situation as the OP, but I can't find it right now).

10.2.3 SITUATION I: With a count of three balls and two strikes on B1 and no runners on base, the pitch
is made and the batter takes what appears to be a half swing. The plate umpire calls ball four as the ball
gets away from F2. B1 trots to first base and F2 throws the ball to F3, who tags B1 prior to his reaching
the base. F2 asks the plate umpire to check with the base umpire to see if it was a strike. The base
umpire indicates that B1 did swing at the ball. RULING: If, in the judgment of the umpire-in-chief, B1
would have reached first base before the throw if it had not been called ball four, the plate umpire can
award B1 first base. The umpire-in-chief can rectify any situation in which an umpire's decision has
placed a batter-runner in jeopardy. Advances and outs made by runners following a reversed call stand,
if the call that was changed clearly did not place them in jeopardy.

1 hour ago, MT73 said:

What happens if an umpire wrongly calls a player out?

Usually someone has a fit.

This can also happen when an umpire correctly calls a player out.

• Haha 2