Pretend this is high school, obstruction? Out for hurdling?

Gfoley4
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1818 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I still see this as hurdling, or attempting to hurdle, a player with the ball. Not simply jumping over outstretched arms - to me, that's a one handed tag, maybe the catcher is diving or kneeling and trying to reach. I don't have this as simply foot hitting an outstretched arms, as the situation above presents as legal.

He also knocks his mask off with his hand it appears (photo 3 plus the full video). That sure seems like jumping over more than just an outstretched tag attempt.

Catcher then also goes spiraling down from the momentum of Harper hitting him with his hand (and maybe feet? Tough to tell). With all the HS safety rules in place, I find it hard to believe that this is looked upon as a legal play at the HS level.

First glance live with our TV angle, I have this as an illegal slide. You really have to zapruder the hell out of this to try to convince me that this is legal, and even then, I'm not convinced. We can see this different ways, but if I had one look at this live speed like I did (even if I'm on the field) I have an illegal slide.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2019 at 2:14 PM, noumpere said:

Except that there's an interp that if the hurdle is only over the outstretched arms, it's legal.  (Sorry, no time to look it up and post it.)

I've always sided with this interp and published case play in 2019's (and previous year's) case book (Sit. 8.2.1 D).  But, this came across the screen for our annual online rules meeting.  In the picture I'd judge those arms are pretty outstretched.  So, I'm really confused how to rule on this play, especially if it's a last second move by the runner to avoid a collision.  

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 7.49.37 AM.png

1 hour ago, humanbackstop19 said:

I've always sided with this interp and published case play in 2019's (and previous year's) case book (Sit. 8.2.1 D).  But, this came across the screen for our annual online rules meeting.  In the picture I'd judge those arms are pretty outstretched.  So, I'm really confused how to rule on this play, especially if it's a last second move by the runner to avoid a collision.  

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 7.49.37 AM.png

This PlayPic is terrible... Follow what is actually in the rule book and case book. Not a powerpoint presentation. 

I think we talked about it when the pic first surfaced prior to the season -- and we all agreed the the pic did not seem to represent the rule (either the pic was supposed to show jumping over the torso, or the words were supposed to show "...but jumping over outstretched arms is legal."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1