Ball out of play on dropped third strike

Biscuit
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2051 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

14u Major game playing house rule modified ORB, R2, 2 outs. Batter swings at ball in the dirt for strike three, and takes off for 1st. Catcher takes his time, and throws to first, hitting the BR in the back, and the ball rolls into the 1st base dugout. I ruled it dead, all runners get two bases time of pitch as it's the first throw from the infield. In this situation it doesn't matter if it's TOP or TOT, but if there was R1 2 outs, R1 steals on the pitch and reaches second before the catcher throws, then it matters (which is what I thought happened, because somehow I didn't realize we had R2 instead of R1... Yikes.) 

What I'm unsure of is if it is a TOP award, due to it not being a batted ball. I believe I got this correct, but I just want to make sure. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Biscuit said:

all runners get two bases time of pitch as it's the first throw from the infield

That exception applies to a batted ball only.

39 minutes ago, Biscuit said:

What I'm unsure of is if it is a TOP award, due to it not being a batted ball.

No, for the reason you mention.

I'm confused by the stealing part. With 2 outs, it shouldn't matter that 1B is occupied, so it's a live ball even if R1 doesn't make it to 2B in time. As for the ToP vs ToT in that situation, all runners would need to get to the next base in order for it to be ToT. And since F2 is throwing to 1B, I'm going to assume that B/R hasn't made it there yet. 

Am I missing something?

23 hours ago, Mister B said:

I'm confused by the stealing part. With 2 outs, it shouldn't matter that 1B is occupied, so it's a live ball even if R1 doesn't make it to 2B in time. As for the ToP vs ToT in that situation, all runners would need to get to the next base in order for it to be ToT. And since F2 is throwing to 1B, I'm going to assume that B/R hasn't made it there yet. 

Am I missing something?

The OP had R2, which made TOP or TOT irrelevant. He was wondering, if the situation was R1, R1 stealing and reaching 2B prior to F2's throw to retire BR, would R1 get 3rd or home.