better at tracking pitch

Iverson76er
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2018 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Hi,

First time post- This will be year 3 of umpiring. The majority of what I do is solo, I have the opportunity to work with a crew but I like the leagues I work for and they need help desperately. I have learned to work out of the slot and anticipate for working solo. I'm aware "don't work solo you're out of position every play" I love youth baseball and it helps pays bills while im getting degree. 

This year I tried to live by "the game plays downhill" and tried to apply chest cavity to my zone. I've heard more than a few groans from the people as a ball falls perfect height in the glove. (alot of what I do is 12u) ball doesn't fall for the older. 

I'm not sure if I'm giving up on pitches that I assume are high and not watching all the way into glove. I may be too low on the top of my zone? 

After a year of going like this im not sure how to correct or if any correction is needed? I was always told its not where the catcher catches the ball, but I've also heard reward a good looking pitch in the glove for my sake in regards to the fans. I don't want to rob batters or pitchers.

I understand working alone is a big no-no with most of you guys. If I had a consistent partner id be able to get good feedback, but as said I work alone. 

I do love what I do and its always a challenge, in the end I want to improve every pitch.

Thanks alot for being umpires, and any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

6 answers to this question

I wouldn't say that working alone is a "big no no". It is just that a majority if us on the page have reached a point where we no longer have to work solo if we dont want to. But I can also see how it comes off as that. 

As for calling the pitch up... it has to do with perception. As we set up, a majority of us do so at the top most point of our strike zone. It is then that we deal with the optical illusion (at least one played on ourselves that is) that anything eye level is to high. When in reality, it isnt.

So now you need to train your brain that a pitch that would hit you square in the nose is a strike. Anything above that is a ball.

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:10 PM, Iverson76er said:

First time post-

......and under your name it says 4 posts.    Did you lose the count already?

I too started solo, due to shortages in the area.  Focus on every pitch/play as the most important call of the game, and you will be fine.

12u is a great place to work on the plate mechanics and to work out kinks. Breath through the pitch, breath in as hes coming set, the let it out until you see the ball enter the glove and hear the pop. If your zone is too low and your hearing lots of oohs and awes on the same pitches, it's great to self reflect and see if you've got a bloop in you zone. I would first ask a senior umpire to watch an inning or two and see if it's really there. Work on your plate posture, dont lean in, make sure you're dropping into position, back straight and vertical, rather that leaning into it. It's harder the smaller the kids get, but you're better off widening you legs to drop in or using the scissor than leaning over. If you propping yourself on your knees, youre probably in a bad position which will askew your zone plus it's a good way to get hurt. 

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2018 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.