Sometimes you do everything right and stuff still happens

grayhawk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2509 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

47 minutes ago, MidAmUmp said:

If an umpire at my clinic waited as long as he did on a screwed up play like this, I would tell him exactly what I wrote earlier...the player screwed up and made your life difficult. 

Again, this has absolutely nothing to do with timing. The runner was practically laying on the baseball. No one could see it. The timing was good, the fielder held up his glove, he called him out, then the fielder realized he didn't have the ball. Fielder picked it up, umpire stayed with the play, and changed his call when evidence proved the runner was safe. 

We all know most double calls occur because an umpire made up his mind too soon. This was not the case in this situation.

I would say something if a camper immediately called him out, then had to change the call because the umpire didn't take everything into account.

I would say something if a camper made a double call and the ball was obviously not in the glove/on the ground. That didn't happen on this play.

I would have absolutely nothing wrong with a camper handling this play this way.

Exactly why I posted the video and I agree 100%. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, grayhawk said:

Very different from the OP. The umpire could see the ball come out - he pointed right at it.

Respectfully I see it differently, PU reacts only after seeing F1 sprint for the ball, he then turns to see the loose ball.  From another angle it is apparent that Duda's leg blocks PU view so near impossible to see it real time. 

Respectfully I see it differently, PU reacts only after seeing F1 sprint for the ball, he then turns to see the loose ball.  From another angle it is apparent that Duda's leg blocks PU view so near impossible to see it real time. 

Even if that's true, he still had a visual cue (F1 sprinting for the ball) to alert him that something was amiss. That was not the case in the OP.