Umpire Gear

Finch3643
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2572 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

I'm trying to get some info on a type of equipment . I just wanted to know if you know if the TAGS protective gear is any good ? I just started in Feb. and  I bought that Mcgregor set and I'm ready for a new set of gear . What do you think of the TAGS .Im also looking at some DIAMOND gear. What do you recommend ?

7 answers to this question

On 4/15/2017 at 0:21 PM, Finch3643 said:

I'm trying to get some info on a type of equipment . I just wanted to know if you know if the TAGS protective gear is any good ? I just started in Feb. and  I bought that Mcgregor set and I'm ready for a new set of gear . What do you think of the TAGS .Im also looking at some DIAMOND gear. What do you recommend ?

What's wrong with your MacGregor set?

You can get hurt worse doing young kids, because they don't protect you as well.

Buy the best stuff you can afford. There are some good sites to get equipment from - Ump Attire, Honigs, All Sports East are a place to start.

Many places try to pass off catcher's gear as umpire gear. Catcher's have a glove to protect themselves - we don't.

Welcome to the International Brotherhood of Umpire Gear Upgraders............(of which, I am either a founder, or member, or associate gear junkie...I really cant remember now)

My advice to all new umpires is like the above, buy the best gear you can afford!..............and it is advice clearly seated in the "do as I say and not as I did" club. Now I understand the initial outlay for gear is a hefty price. Especially so, if you buy before you get enough game fees under your belt to offset the costs.

BUT....if the best financial bottom line is your goal, pay now to avoid paying way more later......

My opinion of priorities (wrt protection/expense):
Chest protector (hardshell)
Mask pads (notice an expensive mask frame is not my priority)
Plate Shoes
Cup (not a high dollar expense, but don't get the cheapest)
Shin guards (fit is most important consideration) 

• Like 1

I agree with the "go with the best that you can afford" concept.  With a common understanding that with a higher price, usually (I said usually, so back off) comes an increase in quality/protection.

Based on that concept, look at it this way, if you had a motorcycle accident and your head hit the road, would you rather be wearing a $25 helmet, or a $325 helmet.