Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4043 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

A few people have mentioned fitting a delta flex on their Schutt XV or Air Flex
 

Original:

original.thumb.JPG.79553c568b4b37371d30a

 

Thought I would share my solution: 

20150805_221825.thumb.jpg.dbe9b749f9150a20150805_221818.thumb.jpg.6251cea9022e8d20150805_221800.thumb.jpg.819f07353abb58

I fed the delta flex straps through the buckle, then through the slot I cut into the protector, then back through the buckle. 

Replaced the plastic snaps on the delta flex with the metal ones that came with my Air Flex, and I now have a chest protector that actually fits properly.


Disclaimer: I am pretty small; for most people, there probably is not enough strap on the delta flex to do this.

  • Like 1
Posted

Bravo, @StevenCraze, that is the exact sort of modification I am pursuing on my XV.

I just haven't started it yet because I need to make a video production out of it, worthy of something like This Old House or Property Brothers. I have all the parts and the plan, ready to go. Different than you, instead of cutting slots in the back edge of the shoulder arch plates, I'll be attaching a D-ring each to those plates, thus lengthening the straps' adjustability.

We (the Schutt modders) will have to put together a packet and send it to Schutt, encouraging them to make a design modification to the CPs in the future. Stop wasting time and materials, and losing effectiveness, on a fixed, woeful harness.

Uh, anyone willing to operate the video camera while I do this "modumentary"?

Posted

Are you planning on using rivets?

I would have preferred to go with 2 D-rings, straps and rivets to attach them to the protector, but it was just so convenient to attach it with my method. No special tools necessary - a utility knife was all I used.

@MadMax - any tips on how to get the velcro shoulder pads to stay in place, short of stitching? They come off with my shirt every time.

 

Posted

Bravo, @StevenCraze, that is the exact sort of modification I am pursuing on my XV.

I just haven't started it yet because I need to make a video production out of it, worthy of something like This Old House or Property Brothers. I have all the parts and the plan, ready to go. Different than you, instead of cutting slots in the back edge of the shoulder arch plates, I'll be attaching a D-ring each to those plates, thus lengthening the straps' adjustability.

We (the Schutt modders) will have to put together a packet and send it to Schutt, encouraging them to make a design modification to the CPs in the future. Stop wasting time and materials, and losing effectiveness, on a fixed, woeful harness.

Uh, anyone willing to operate the video camera while I do this "modumentary"?

Name it this old gear bag.

  • 4 weeks later...
Posted

Hear ye, hear ye, I have finally modified my Schutt XV with a DeltaFlex harness... 
... and it roxors!

large.IMG_2406.jpg.01d92eb3f640379a552b9

It fits even better now, and it conforms to me as well as the Force3 UnEqual or a softee CP. There isn't a video (yet) because I couldn't find anyone with the time to work the camera, and I really needed this done for a 12-game stretch this weekend.

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

Nice job Max!


Just completed a second rework.  I needed additional strap length on all four corners.

Wound up deconstructing the DeltaFlex and sewing on new webbing and elastic.

Hand sewing was not difficult.

Heavy duty nylon thread and a #18 tapestry needle did the job.

Plastic D-rings, webbing and elastic are readily available on eBay for a few $$

 

newback.JPG

drings.JPG

Edited by goldsmi
×
×
  • Create New...