NCAA Test #4

noumpere
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3373 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm having a brain fart on this one:

#42  R3, R1, less than two outs. The batter hits a pop fly near the third-base bag. As F5 attempts to field the pop-up within one-foot of the bag, R3 screams right in his face, "DROP IT!" F5 subsequently touches the ball in fair territory and drops the pop-up. R1 advances to second, and the batter is safe at first.

a. The ball is dead immediately. R3 is declared out for verbal interference. R1 returns to first, and the batter is returned to the plate with the previous count.

b. The ball is dead immediately, and R3 is declared out for interference. R1 advances to second, and the BR advances to first.

c. The ball is dead immediately. R3 is declared out for verbal interference. R1 is returned to first, and the BR is also declared out for the interference of R3.

d. Call nothing as there is no such thing as verbal interference.

It's B, right?  If the ball was foul, return BR to bat and add a strike.  It doesn't matter whether the ball was caught or dropped.

But, there's also 8-5.k AR2: A runner who, while touching a base, interferes with the fielder attempting to field a batted ball, is not out unless the umpire rules intentional interference.  In this case, the batter is our if there are two outs.  If there are less than two outs, both the batter and runner are out.

In the play, we don't know whether R3 was on the base (I'd hope so).  And, does it make sense that if the runner is off the base, there's only one out unless a double play is likely, but if the runner is on the base it's automatically a double play (when the double play is all-but-impossible)?

it says R3 was 1 foot off the base.... I went with "B"

Of course we know it is Intentional... theres a part of me that's wants to get a Double play.

It says F5 is one foot off the base; it says nothing about R3.

If R3 was right in his face, I think it's okay to assume he was on or close to the bag.

If there are less than 2 outs and it's intentional, wouldn't the answer be "C?"

If a double play is likely. 8-5-d. I'm not sure that's the case here.

And that's my conundrum -- since the DP isn't likely, we only get one out per 8-5.d.  But, if the runner was on the bag, we get two outs per 8-5.k AR2

What is the rule citation for getting two outs here?

8-5k  AR 2

That says the runner is on the base. The question never says R3 is on the base. 

It doesn't say he's off of it either.  On a pop up to the third baseman we have to have an infer that at the NCAA level, R3 is standing on the base.  Not saying I agree w/ how the question is written, but either way we have to make an inference.  

What is the rule citation for getting two outs here?

8-5k  AR 2

That says the runner is on the base. The question never says R3 is on the base. 

It doesn't say he's off of it either.  On a pop up to the third baseman we have to have an infer that at the NCAA level, R3 is standing on the base.  Not saying I agree w/ how the question is written, but either way we have to make an inference.  

I just think if you're going to use that citation you posted, the question needs to be specific and say that R3 is standing on the base. Surprise surprise, another poorly-written NCAA test question. 

• Like 1

b. The ball is dead immediately, and R3 is declared out for interference. R1 advances to second, and the BR advances to first.

5-3 Penalty & 8-5

I think we need to get two on this.  8-5 is pretty clear.  Are you disagreeing b/c the question doesn't specifically say that the R3 is standing on third base?