Jump to content

"I've got the ball" vs. "I'm on the line"


Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4263 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

 

 

 

" 

There probably is more to it, so chime in as to why PU should communicate "I've got the ball" down he LF line,  other than "that's what's taught at umpire school" or "that's what's in the red book."

 

There probably are other reasons that I'm not thinking of so help me understand.  

 

Thanks!

 

 

Because BU has all fly balls until PU calls him off.

 

 

 

 

That's not what CCA suggests unless I'm reading it wrong.  CCA seems pretty clear in each umpire's responsibilities.  Getting your calls right is important too!  :-)

 

I think I understand what @noumpere is saying here. Ball hit to the left or right fielder..maybe they take a step toward the line to get under the ball, maybe he's charging in and veering slightly one way or the other...As BU, I'm watching to call the catch/no catch until my PU calls me off. If I don't hear "I've got the ball" I'm assuming I have the catch/no catch call......Yes...always pregamed. 

  • Like 1
Posted

I think I understand what @noumpere is saying here. Ball hit to the left or right fielder..maybe they take a step toward the line to get under the ball, maybe he's charging in and veering slightly one way or the other...As BU, I'm watching to call the catch/no catch until my PU calls me off. If I don't hear "I've got the ball" I'm assuming I have the catch/no catch call......Yes...always pregamed.

If that's the case, then I agree.

Posted

I think I understand what @noumpere is saying here. Ball hit to the left or right fielder..maybe they take a step toward the line to get under the ball, maybe he's charging in and veering slightly one way or the other...As BU, I'm watching to call the catch/no catch until my PU calls me off. If I don't hear "I've got the ball" I'm assuming I have the catch/no catch call......Yes...always pregamed.

If that's the case, then I agree.

If that's not the case you don't agree?

Posted

I think I understand what @noumpere is saying here. Ball hit to the left or right fielder..maybe they take a step toward the line to get under the ball, maybe he's charging in and veering slightly one way or the other...As BU, I'm watching to call the catch/no catch until my PU calls me off. If I don't hear "I've got the ball" I'm assuming I have the catch/no catch call......Yes...always pregamed.

If that's the case, then I agree.

If that's not the case you don't agree?

I don't know. I don't know everything.

  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

When you build a house you need a good foundation. If it's 100 degrees and you are working the plate in the 11th inning your good foundation may really help. Build a good foundation with mechanics and verbal communication with your partner. It's hard to over communicate. It doesn't hurt to say, ' I have the ball. I'm on the line". It may seem anal and be frustrating, but there is a reason Jim Evans teaches this verbal communication. Evans will also have your partner fall down on purpose to see if you glanced at your partner. If I have fair/foul, catch/ no catch down the right field line and I communicate to my partner that I am camped out on the line, I am still going to glance at my partner after I have done my job and if he is focussed on 2nd base or 1st base, I am going to move up the 3rd base line and make a call after making eye contact with him. I am only going to get 1 or two steps toward third base but at least Someone has the call. Your field umpire may read back pick into 1st base and over commit to 1st base, forgetting that he has responsibility for third base.

  • Like 1
Posted

When you build a house you need a good foundation. If it's 100 degrees and you are working the plate in the 11th inning your good foundation may really help. Build a good foundation with mechanics and verbal communication with your partner. It's hard to over communicate. It doesn't hurt to say, ' I have the ball. I'm on the line". It may seem anal and be frustrating, but there is a reason Jim Evans teaches this verbal communication. Evans will also have your partner fall down on purpose to see if you glanced at your partner. If I have fair/foul, catch/ no catch down the right field line and I communicate to my partner that I am camped out on the line, I am still going to glance at my partner after I have done my job and if he is focussed on 2nd base or 1st base, I am going to move up the 3rd base line and make a call after making eye contact with him. I am only going to get 1 or two steps toward third base but at least Someone has the call. Your field umpire may read back pick into 1st base and over commit to 1st base, forgetting that he has responsibility for third base.

FYI... Before Evans had a school.. this Verbal stuff you talk about was taught at other schools.

 

But on a side note.. he is right.

  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Hey, hide the Salammi, we have had our differences. My apologies sir. What do you say we put the past in the past and move forward as colleagues. Let's suport each other with respect. You have good knowledge and I learn from your posts. My only reference was Jim' s school down in Tuscon. Jim wasn't even able to make it. We got "sarge", Dick Nelson and Ted Barrett and my favorite umpire, #77, Jim Reynolds. We drilled on this mechanic. It was a great camp. Sarge was really funny and a joy to be around. I hope you have a fun season

Posted

Kstrunk - Great question for a 2nd year umpire. In 2-man, remember that you also have the call at 3rd base when R-1 goes half way and R-2 tags and runs to 3rd base. Soooo, not just on an Uncaught fly ball, but a caught fly ball and a tag. 1st responsibility is read the ball. 2nd responsibility is read your partner if possible. Head on a swivel. 3rd responsibility is verbal communication. 4th responsibility is fair/foul. 5th responsibility is catch/no catch. 6th responsibility is a play at 3rd base. 7th responsibility is dead ball on an overthrow. 8th responsibility is go home if necessary. If I have left anything out the fine umpires on this site will fill in.

  • Like 1
Posted

I think you were out to lunch when they covered that in Arizona. PU has play at 3B with R1 and R2.

Edited to add: unless you're talking about a ball down the 1B line?

  • Like 1
Posted

Hey, hide the Salammi, we have had our differences. My apologies sir. What do you say we put the past in the past and move forward as colleagues. Let's suport each other with respect. You have good knowledge and I learn from your posts. My only reference was Jim' s school down in Tuscon. Jim wasn't even able to make it. We got "sarge", Dick Nelson and Ted Barrett and my favorite umpire, #77, Jim Reynolds. We drilled on this mechanic. It was a great camp. Sarge was really funny and a joy to be around. I hope you have a fun season

Ive never had a problem with you...

 

I just find it funny that when Jim Evans says it , well it must be true, like he is the only guy to tech umpires...LOL

 

Fyi Ted barrett is great umpire.. Sarge is a great guy too.. I have been to Evans weekend camp, and learned a bunch.. But i did attend Harry Wendlestedt.

Posted

In talking a pre-game meeting with a new umpiring partner, discuss

 

Fair / foul responsibilities

 

Catch / no catch responsibilities

 

Infield fly and time play* signals and responsibilities

 

Swing / no swing appeal communications

 

Foot off the bag? communications

 

Rundown mechanics

 

Field rules, any time limits, mercy rules, league exceptions / options

 

This is a great time to talk umpiring, and not enough of us take full advantage of it. It is valuable if both umpres know the "holes" in coverage in 2-man field mechanics, they can make fure they communicate and adjust for any situation.

 

Incidently, other than when I have to see a base touch or a play, I try to sneak a peek at my partner. If he slipped and fell or collided with a player, I prefer to have a correct call in my pocket than, "'Uh, I didn't see it, I think..." I don't make the call - I'll call "Time!" when the action stops, go to my partner, give him any info he needs and let him make his call.

 

* - If a greenhorn partner does not understand time play mechanics and communications, DO explain the importance of this and reinforce it to the point of offering to trade positions. A plate umpire MUST know this critical aspect of baseball. Could you imagine blowing this in Game 7 of the World Series?

Posted

In talking a pre-game meeting with a new umpiring partner, discuss

 

Fair / foul responsibilities

 

Catch / no catch responsibilities

 

Infield fly and time play* signals and responsibilities

 

Swing / no swing appeal communications

 

Foot off the bag? communications

 

Rundown mechanics

 

Field rules, any time limits, mercy rules, league exceptions / options

 

This is a great time to talk umpiring, and not enough of us take full advantage of it. It is valuable if both umpres know the "holes" in coverage in 2-man field mechanics, they can make fure they communicate and adjust for any situation.

 

Incidently, other than when I have to see a base touch or a play, I try to sneak a peek at my partner. If he slipped and fell or collided with a player, I prefer to have a correct call in my pocket than, "'Uh, I didn't see it, I think..." I don't make the call - I'll call "Time!" when the action stops, go to my partner, give him any info he needs and let him make his call.

 

* - If a greenhorn partner does not understand time play mechanics and communications, DO explain the importance of this and reinforce it to the point of offering to trade positions. A plate umpire MUST know this critical aspect of baseball. Could you imagine blowing this in Game 7 of the World Series?

On television, one or two years ago, I saw a crew working a Florida Gators conference game kick the $hit out of a time play at the plate.  What I mean is not that his judgment was right/wrong, but that he wasn't even aware of the possibility of a time play until it was too late.  R2 was thrown out at third base before R3 crossed the plate and PU was standing there watching everything from in front of home plate.  It's unlikely to happened at the MLB level, but it's not just a youth issue.  For our purposes, it can happened anywhere....just hope it's not in your game.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

I had the privilege of having Ted Barrett work in the cage with me in Tucson. A gentle giant with a wonderful sense of humor. Happy to see him get another World Series. My apologies if I elevated Jim Evans to a God like figure. I was really impressed with Jim. A warm hearted Texan that deserved better than what happened. Hope you have a fun season

×
×
  • Create New...