Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4385 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I know you were at the Tiger/White Sox game today, @Thunderheads.  So, I expect a complete and detailed video of the perpetrators who were stealing and relaying Chris Sale's signals to Victor Martinez.

Posted

I know you were at the Tiger/White Sox game today, @Thunderheads.  So, I expect a complete and detailed video of the perpetrators who were stealing and relaying Chris Sale's signals to Victor Martinez.

LMAO!!!  That's funny Jeff!  Great game! Got on TV even!  Perfect day, ... 73 degrees, and not a cloud in the sky ......

  • Like 1
Posted

What happened to your shirt?  If your gonna go shirtless, I'd expect to see a navy blue Olde English "D" painted on your chest!

  • Like 1
Posted

What happened to your shirt?  If your gonna go shirtless, I'd expect to see a navy blue Olde English "D" painted on your chest!

 

OK, so that bothered me, since the calligraphic D the Tigers use is neither old (well, 1904 is not that old) nor English, and certainly not from the actual (extinct) language called Old English. I don't know what "olde" means....

 

Then I learned that there are in fact 2 such D's, the "jersey D" and the "cap D," and have been for decades. Nobody knows why.

 

So that's pretty unsatisfying... I'd rather bicker about chief Wahoo....

  • Like 1
Posted

 

What happened to your shirt?  If your gonna go shirtless, I'd expect to see a navy blue Olde English "D" painted on your chest!

 

OK, so that bothered me, since the calligraphic D the Tigers use is neither old (well, 1904 is not that old) nor English, and certainly not from the actual (extinct) language called Old English. I don't know what "olde" means....

 

Then I learned that there are in fact 2 such D's, the "jersey D" and the "cap D," and have been for decades. Nobody knows why.

 

So that's pretty unsatisfying... I'd rather bicker about chief Wahoo....

 

You don't ??  You've never seen that spelling of 'old' before?

olde
adjective
 
  1. pseudoarchaic variant spelling of old, intended to be quaint.
    "Ye Olde Tea Shoppe"
     
     
     

Olde English is an old style font .....

http://www.dafont.com/olde-english.font

 

Why do you seem so confused about something some trivial?   And ....  who's bickering? :shrug:

Posted

Jeff:

 

"Olde English" is the name of a font...that was invented long after the Tigers adopted their logo in 1904. So that ain't it.

 

I'm not really confused, just have no good account of where the logo came from, nor why there are two.

Posted

Jeff:

 

"Olde English" is the name of a font...that was invented long after the Tigers adopted their logo in 1904. So that ain't it.

 

I'm not really confused, just have no good account of where the logo came from, nor why there are two.

I think fonts were invented around the time of the printing press -- and maybe before.

 

And, googling "old English font" and "olde English font" gives many more choices than just the two Ds on the uniform.

 

My guess is that some low-level employee was given the task of ordering new hats, sent the order off with the instruction "old English D" and the manufacturer used the equivalent of the "MS" font instead of the "adobe" font.  It was close enough that no one noticed, at least for a while.

Posted

Jeff:

 

"Olde English" is the name of a font...that was invented long after the Tigers adopted their logo in 1904. So that ain't it.

 

I'm not really confused, just have no good account of where the logo came from, nor why there are two.

What "AIN'T" it ?

×
×
  • Create New...