Jump to content
  • 0

Fed. Vs O.B.R. Balk(3rd base)


Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4495 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Posted

13 yr. old travel ball tournament. Semi-final

Father's Day tournament used Fed. Rules

Confusion and ejections.

R-2 & R-3. Batter squares for safety squeeze as pitcher makes first movement. R-3 moves cautiously toward home as pitcher makes first movement. Rt. handed pitcher makes a legal step and feint to 3rd base. Seeing R-3 off the bag the pitcher now follows up his feint to 3rd base with a throw to 3rd base. R-3 breaks for home and beats the throw from F-5. The third base coach forgot or was unaware that we were using Fed. Rules.

When the pitcher faked a throw to 3rd base the 3rd base coach said," that's a balk",

The defense coach argued that the third base coach interfered and R-3 should be out.

We allowed the run to score. I ruled that the defensive players should play until continuous action is over or an umpire calls time.

The coach argued that his team quit playing for a moment when they heard the 3rd base coach say,that's a balk." This may sound like a thread about coach interference but really I wanted to talk about confusion caused by the difference in the balk to third base rule. Fed vs O.B.R.

The 3rd base coach was unaware that Fed. Had not kept up with O.B.R. With the new rule.

Education may be the solution.

I will talk about it at pre game.

8 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Guest Bruce Decker
Posted

With some leagues/tournaments playing under OBR and some under FED, I ALWAYS cover this at pre-game.

 

Easiest way to remember, under OBR 3rd is JUST like 1st...F1 steps there from the rubber, ne MUST throw.

  • 0
Posted

Education may be the solution.

I will talk about it at pre game.

You're going to talk about all the FED / OBR differences?  What makes this one special?  IMO, the rule change has been around long enough so that it does not need to be mentioned anymore.

  • 0
Posted

I am doing Legion ball during the summer and most of the teams are the same local HS teams I had during the regular season.   I remind them that they are playing under official baseball rules, but all the Safety, Sportsmanship and Speed-up rules are still in effect (whether they really are or not).    When a travel ball team enters the mix, I remind them that the FPSR is in effect. 

  • 0
Posted

I am doing Legion ball during the summer and most of the teams are the same local HS teams I had during the regular season.   I remind them that they are playing under official baseball rules, but all the Safety, Sportsmanship and Speed-up rules are still in effect (whether they really are or not).    When a travel ball team enters the mix, I remind them that the FPSR is in effect. 

 

To add confusion, Legion uses the NCAA FPSR.

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

 

I am doing Legion ball during the summer and most of the teams are the same local HS teams I had during the regular season.   I remind them that they are playing under official baseball rules, but all the Safety, Sportsmanship and Speed-up rules are still in effect (whether they really are or not).    When a travel ball team enters the mix, I remind them that the FPSR is in effect. 

 

To add confusion, Legion uses the NCAA FPSR.

 

 

 

Yeah, too much detail for a plate meeting for sure.   Ultimately, it's never an issue because the players have been chained down all year to the more restrictive FED FPSR. Anything illegal I have seen in Legion is illegal everywhere. 

  • 0
Posted

My standard pre-game instructions cover stuff like this with a very simple statement and question;

 

"Gentlemen, my instructions are that this game is being played under _______ rules, with several specific (league/tournament) over-rides which are posted on (website/bulletin board/tournament entry package).  May I assume you are both familiar with those rules and over-rides?" 

Pause for both to acknowledge.

  • 0
Posted

My standard pre-game instructions cover stuff like this with a very simple statement and question;

 

"Gentlemen, my instructions are that this game is being played under _______ rules, with several specific (league/tournament) over-rides which are posted on (website/bulletin board/tournament entry package).  May I assume you are both familiar with those rules and over-rides?" 

Pause for both to acknowledge.

 

And what follows is most likely a blank stare and a tentative nod, correct?

  • Like 3
×
×
  • Create New...