Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4487 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I was BU for a game. It was an overcast, rainy day, but we started the game and rain would not be an issue. However, we got into late innings and it was clearly too dark to continue. I struggled on the bases and while in C, F6 told F4 he couldn't see a thing. My partner and I had discussed the conditions an inning earlier when a bat went flying out of a batters hands (I'm sure because of the wetness). It was the 2nd bat that went flying. Though there was no puddling, one of the F1 fell on a delivery. After I heard F6, I went to my partner, but he wanted to finish the 6th as HT was up. If I'm sure that it is unsafe, but am clearly not the UIC, what do you do?

Posted

As with all items when umpires disagree (rules interps, etc.), a lot of the answer depends on the "power" (age, length of time, position in the association, etc) of the umpires.

 

Sometimes you can force him; sometimes you have to suck it up.

 

However, since this is a safety issue, document that you brought it up -- maybe even say it loud enough for both managers to hear.

Posted

One of our social clubs once sponsored a youth tournament and used our fields. They hired umpires from the local association.

 

Rain pouring down, fields getting muddy. Umpire wouldn't stop play.

 

So I told him they could continue if he wanted to but not on our field because it was now closed.

 

Happy participants - POed umpire. 

  • Like 1
Posted

One of our social clubs once sponsored a youth tournament and used our fields. They hired umpires from the local association.

 

Rain pouring down, fields getting muddy. Umpire wouldn't stop play.

 

So I told him they could continue if he wanted to but not on our field because it was now closed.

 

Happy participants - POed umpire. 

how does that address the original post?

Posted

 

One of our social clubs once sponsored a youth tournament and used our fields. They hired umpires from the local association.

 

Rain pouring down, fields getting muddy. Umpire wouldn't stop play.

 

So I told him they could continue if he wanted to but not on our field because it was now closed.

 

Happy participants - POed umpire. 

how does that address the original post?

 

 

Get the league staff to call the game by closing the field.

Posted

If you truly feel it is not safe you tell your partner you are calling the game because you now have two players that do not feel safe playing and you do not feel safe letting the game continue.  If he wants to continue he will have to without F6, F4 and a BU.

 

Sometimes a partner needs to be convinced in a strong way.

Posted

One of our social clubs once sponsored a youth tournament and used our fields. They hired umpires from the local association.

 

Rain pouring down, fields getting muddy. Umpire wouldn't stop play.

 

So I told him they could continue if he wanted to but not on our field because it was now closed.

 

Happy participants - POed umpire. 

I would never umpire on that field again.  For someone to pull that on an umpire who knows that an umpire controls the game once the first pitch is delivered is wrong.  I hope you have trouble getting umpires to your field because what else would you question and overrule and umpire on now? 

Posted

One of our social clubs once sponsored a youth tournament and used our fields. They hired umpires from the local association.

Rain pouring down, fields getting muddy. Umpire wouldn't stop play.

So I told him they could continue if he wanted to but not on our field because it was now closed.

Happy participants - POed umpire.

I would never umpire on that field again. For someone to pull that on an umpire who knows that an umpire controls the game once the first pitch is delivered is wrong. I hope you have trouble getting umpires to your field because what else would you question and overrule and umpire on now?

Even though umpires are given "The God Effect" once the game starts, it does not mean he must invoke it. Use your resources that are available. Youth tournament and there are concerns about field playability. Listen to the brain trust that coordinates the site. Don't let the ego grow.

×
×
  • Create New...