Ump1019

Lightning Bolt

I was doing the plate :home: at a Babe Ruth Game last night,and  the weather was bad.

There was a lightning bolt over right field. I stopped the game.

Manager comes out and states :blah  "that you saw 210+ ft from home plate,

but you didn't see the runner was safe 1 ft in front of you." :smachhead:  

My partner and I looked at each other and laughed. :notworthy:

Ump1019

"You know what else I can't see? You sticking around for the rest of the game."

I was doing the plate :home: at a Babe Ruth Game last night,and  the weather was bad.

Ump1019

BOOM!!  Goes the dynamite!!  :wave:

I was doing the plate :home: at a Babe Ruth Game last night,and the weather was bad.

Manager comes out and states :blah "that you saw 210+ ft from home plate,

Ump1019

my league stops for thunder now, sometimes coaches will just say "it was a freight train" or "I ate a bad burrito" much better than them telling me I didn't see lightining it was just a glare in my glasses

my league stops for thunder now,

Now?

You can't have thunder without lightning, and the sound won't travel nearly as far as the visual, so you should have been stopping for thunder all along.

Now?

You can't have thunder without lightning, and the sound won't travel nearly as far as the visual, so you should have been stopping for thunder all along.

I love science!

Now?

You can't have thunder without lightning, and the sound won't travel nearly as far as the visual, so you should have been stopping for thunder all along.There were many times where we heard thunder but saw no lightning

Now?

You can't have thunder without lightning, and the sound won't travel nearly as far as the visual, so you should have been stopping for thunder all along. There were many times where we heard thunder but saw no lightning

Tucker, you don't get it ........

Thunder is lightning ....just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not happening.........

http://www.sciencemadesimple.co.uk/activities/thunder

• Like 3

Jeff should know he is Thunderheads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it was common knowledge ....... 

It will become more common because those who don't know it will be killed by the lightning they thought didn't exist. ;)

• Like 1

Now?

You can't have thunder without lightning, and the sound won't travel nearly as far as the visual, so you should have been stopping for thunder all along.There were many times where we heard thunder but saw no lightning

Tucker, you don't get it ........

Thunder is lightning ....just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not happening.........

http://www.sciencemadesimple.co.uk/activities/thunderFair enough just saying we only called if we see it now its see or hear

Now?

You can't have thunder without lightning, and the sound won't travel nearly as far as the visual, so you should have been stopping for thunder all along. There were many times where we heard thunder but saw no lightning Tucker, you don't get it ........

http://www.sciencemadesimple.co.uk/activities/thunder Fair enough just saying we only called if we see it now its see or hear

it's always been see or hear.  I can't imagine it being different anywhere else, but it's that way in Michigan

Nice blurb from NOAA.

Big thing for us AND we train our young umpires to do/say this:

“Coaches we have reports/sightings/have heard thunder and/or lightning in the area.

We are suspending the game NOW.

We will resume 30 min after the last report of lightning and/thunder.

The officials of this game are releasing your teams in your custody and sole responsibility and we are leaving the field. We have confirmed the book is up to date and noted the time progression at suspensionâ€

We talk about this at our pre-season joint umpires-coaches meeting.

Key here is transferring custody/responsibility of the players to the coach after suspending the game.

The NOAA blurb is handed out to all at the pre-season joint umpires-coaches meeting.

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/sports.htm

Hi All

I appreciate all the comments regarding lighting and thunder.

The main thought of the posting was that the Manager had 

a nerve to make a comment regarding my EyEs :cool2:  on a play at home that he thought

i didn't see and went against his team. But I was able to see 210+ and not 1 ft in front of me

We called the other manager and  stated to both Managers " we are suspending the game

and have to wait 30 minutes until the last report of thunder and lighting so we can resume play." 

Game was continued and the manager that questioned my eye :cool2: site was quiet the remainder of the game

I had the same team on Monday Night, and the Manager came over to us and apoligized.

Stu Pfeffer

Ump1019@aol.com

Now?

You can't have thunder without lightning, and the sound won't travel nearly as far as the visual, so you should have been stopping for thunder all along.There were many times where we heard thunder but saw no lightningTucker, you don't get it ........

http://www.sciencemadesimple.co.uk/activities/thunderFair enough just saying we only called if we see it now its see or hear

it's always been see or hear. I can't imagine it being different anywhere else, but it's that way in MichiganHere it was see only for ages, now its both and let me tell you some kids during a delay would climb the back stop or run around holding metal bats up as lightining rods, as the ump i had to explain why they couldnt do this to 10 year olds

Ump1019

You should have said,"Coach, that's nothing. Ya see that bright thing in the sky over there. That 93 million miles away and I can see it just fine." :rollinglaugh:

• Like 2

Guys I know there's a lot of joking, but please take lightning seriously. I've been thru the experience, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I carried a 14 year old victim off a diamond and started CPR on her. We were very fortunate, we had a doctor with her within a couple of minutes, and a defibrillator in less than four minutes, or the situation would have most likely had a tragic ending.

Guys I know there's a lot of joking, but please take lightning seriously. I've been thru the experience, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I carried a 14 year old victim off a diamond and started CPR on her. We were very fortunate, we had a doctor with her within a couple of minutes, and a defibrillator in less than four minutes, or the situation would have most likely had a tragic ending.

BFP,

no one is taking lightning lightly ......take a look around ...you'll see.

The lightheartedness is coming from the coaches comment mentioned in the OP

It will become more common because those who don't know it will be killed by the lightning they thought didn't exist. ;)

Darwin lives!

While this subject of lightning (sort of) has come up.....

Does anyone have good experience with lightning detectors? Accuracy? Limits that the leagues set on distance away?

I have only worked 1 tournament with one in action, and it was spot on - cleared the field, then the sky opened up.

I ask, because many fields don't use radar or they don't believe it.

Thanks

While this subject of lightning (sort of) has come up.....

Does anyone have good experience with lightning detectors? Accuracy? Limits that the leagues set on distance away?

I have only worked 1 tournament with one in action, and it was spot on - cleared the field, then the sky opened up.

I ask, because many fields don't use radar or they don't believe it.

Thanks

Our school has one now. It's EXPENSIVE, I believe in the 18K-20K area. It can be seen here: http://earthnetworks.com/Products/OutdoorAlertingSystem.aspx There is a pretty good video explaining the "out of the blue" scenario. Lightning can occur several miles ahead of a storm, in "blue skies". Many times cloud to ground strikes are precipitated by cloud to cloud strikes, which in the blue sky scenario from several miles away would not be visible, nor audible.

A pretty efficient system is to use the Weatherbug "Spark" app on your phone. It will tell you how close lightning has been detected. Of course the only issue is you could be several miles from whatever station it's using. Spark is part of Weatherbug's free app, it's pretty dependable I would highly recommend it. I'm not a fan of having a cell phone on the field with you, but in a situation where lightning could be a factor, I'm willing to do it.

• Like 1