Rule clarified

Airborne
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3611 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Need a rule clarified

Runner on 1st  no outs, batter swings and misses 3rd strike, catcher bobbles ball, batter takes off for first gets catcher to throw to first, runner on 1st takes  off for second, ball is over thrown to first, runner ends up on third, batter is out , coach argues that the batter made the catcher throw to first even though he is out, wants the runner to either advance 1 base or go back to first, explained that runner advances at own risk to be put out and batter is automatically out and the catcher did not have to throw to first, what is the rule and was the call right 

11 answers to this question

You got it right.  The coach needs to do a better job of...you know...coaching.

OBR rule cite:

Rule 7.09(e) Comment: If the batter or a runner continues to advance after he has been put out, he shall not by that act alone be considered as confusing, hindering or impeding the fielders.
  • Like 1

Coach is out of luck with the rule, as others have posted. Many coaches teach their batters to take off here, knowing that they're out and that there's no penalty for running, as a way of moving R1 to 2B.

As umpires, we can help with this situation by verbalizing, "He's out!" or "Batter's out!" when you see him take off. Some guys prompt F2 when they get to 2 strikes, but I'd rather help out after strike 3, if necessary.

• Like 2

Coach is out of luck with the rule, as others have posted. Many coaches teach their batters to take off here, knowing that they're out and that there's no penalty for running, as a way of moving R1 to 2B.

As umpires, we can help with this situation by verbalizing, "He's out!" or "Batter's out!" when you see him take off. Some guys prompt F2 when they get to 2 strikes, but I'd rather help out after strike 3, if necessary.

I am in the announcing after strike 3 camp because I am not coaching but announcing the facts of life to all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would never prompt F2 when there are 2 strikes - even for the little guys.  If 1B is occupied with less than two outs, I will give a "Batter's out! He's out!" if I see the batter take off after a U3K.  I do the same if a fielder drops a declared IFF.  "Batter's out!  He's still out!"

If the circus still happens, it's all on them.

I would never prompt F2 when there are 2 strikes - even for the little guys.  If 1B is occupied with less than two outs, I will give a "Batter's out! He's out!" if I see the batter take off after a U3K.  I do the same if a fielder drops a declared IFF.  "Batter's out!  He's still out!"

Not sure what maven means by promt. Could be simply announcing the count as I do whenever it's a decision pitch. ie: 2 strikes or 3 balls.

Not sure what maven means by prompt. Could be simply announcing the count as I do whenever it's a decision pitch. ie: 2 strikes or 3 balls.

I've heard guys ask F2: "Now: what are you going to do if strike 3 is in the dirt?"

@maven

I hate that SH*#!  Umpires umpire and coaches coach.  I had an umpire when I was coaching who wanted to tell my guys how to tag, how to slide, how to lead off, how to pick off, etc.  I asked him nicely once to stop.  The next time I called time and spoke in a louder than normal but not yelling voice, I want you to umpire the game and STOP coaching my players.  I am their coach.  You are the umpire so please, just umpire.  Coaching is my job.

He stopped but I knew he was looking for a reason to dump me.  I was smart enough not to give him a reason.

I suppose there's a fine line between "umpires coaching" and what I like to call "preventive umpiring".  I'd NEVER remind a catcher of the situation referred to above (beyond announcing the count). 

But I WILL:

Have a word with that lazy F3 to remind him to get out of the way when not making a play so I don't have to call obstruction on him later.

Take a moment to explain to that confused 12 yr old WHY what he did was just called a balk.

I might also quietly tell a catcher "catch that same pitch with the thumb down and it's probably a strike."

• Like 1