Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4494 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Posted

I found out i will be doing a game alone this week, happy to do it just a bit lost its 15U which around here is full on mlb rules and the kids can hit/play so its a "real" game, I currently debating 3 ways to handle the game here they are below, which should i do? 1) Umpire from behind homeplate alone 2) umpire alone from behind the mound 3) ask for a parent volunteer to cover some infield for me. Please help!?

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Posted

Fleas of 1,000 camels(wtf) kidding, you were put into a tough position and lied too. I wonder what kind of money the tourney made at the expense of umpires working 7 games in one day alone

I can do 4 with a partner. I have no idea how you worked 7. I would need hot tub and Tylenol and whiskey after the game. It sucks that you were treated like that. Scabs break picket lines knowingly. You are not a scab. Did any of the local umpires talk to you? We had an association 100 mile away that went on strike during summer ball because a coach was not suspended.

Our assignor sent 2 umpires up there to work a game without telling the crew what was going on

Local umpires met the crew at the dressing room and asked them not to work the game.

The crew worked the game fearing problems with our assignor if they refused to work the game.

The local umpires refused to talk to the crew after the game. They were angry.

Our assignor was fired by our group

We are private contractors and have no union

We are not in a power position.

We must press the issue by negotiation.

I worked 1 one man game for Park and Recs

When the game was over I politely told park and Rec that That was my last game as a 1-man crew

My point of emphasis was the players deserved a two man crew. Our complex is fairly new and has lots of tournaments and millions of dollars on the line. Park and Rec can not afford to have unhappy coaches and parents because a call was missed due to perception or reality that 1 umpire could not get into proper position.

Couple months ago I called a runner out at home

Problem was, the ball was laying on the ground

The catcher did not have possession of the Ball

My partner was able to help our crew get the call right. How would that work in a 1-man crew

  • 0
Posted

One question keeps running through my head....  Why does every call have to be right for a 10U, 11U or 12U game - even travel ball?  We should be teaching this kids that sometimes you get the calls, sometime you don't so they don't act like spoiled brats when you don't get what you want.  I know that these games are very competitive, but these are just kids.  If the umpire knows the rules (like 90% of the folks here), but might miss a banger at 3rd, because there was a previous play at 1st, I can live with that - and the kids (and more importantly the coaches) should be able to live with that too.  Sometimes the umpires get it wrong and you have to roll with that - it's a good lesson for kids.  

 

If it's a choice between me working one man and a kid not being able to afford to play, I'll do one man any time.   

  • Like 2
  • 0
Posted

Also, for the record - I'm not in any way defending doing 7 games solo (or even 4 for that matter).  I'm just saying that it isn't the end of the world if a league goes one man (at lower levels) to keep the cost down. 

  • 0
Posted

Let's face facts.  ONE umpire.........is not a crew.  Someone hung you out there (or you're doing your best to help out), so just do the best you can.

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

@Sayhey, I want to be sure to delineate the different levels of baseball here in SoCal for this discussion.  Sorry, in advance, for the LONG post.

 

HS Regular Season:

 

Trinity League Varsity:  3 Man.  Not sure of the fee, since I am not rated high enough yet to work those games.  I suspect they pay $75 per umpire.

Trinity League Sub-Varsity:  2 man.  Pays $65 per umpire.

 

All other leagues:  All Varsity is 2 man and pays $75 per umpire.  All Sub-Varsity is 1 man and pays $74.

 

As you can see, there is no "1.5" game fee for working solo.  In fact, it pays $1 less for a reason I have no knowledge of.

 

HS Off Season:

 

These are assigned by a bunch of different guys, so the pay will vary but usually pays about $60-$70 per game and most of these games are 1 man.  Some of the higher level games are 2 man, and I work for the assignor that has those games, but this is a new relationship for me so I will likely only get the his lower level games that are 1 man.  He has college umpires as well and they typically get the higher level games (duh).

 

Travel Ball:

 

All of these games are 2 man (for USSSA and AAU), and will pay somewhere between $40-$49 per umpire per game, depending on the ages.  If you are one of the "in" crowd, then you will get games on a pretty regular basis.  USSSA has tournaments 50 weekends a year here.  If you are getting games, you will likely get 3-5 per day, and sometimes both days on the weekend.  AAU will give 6-7 per day and both days of a weekend.

 

CCYB:

 

This is a mix of ages and is all 1 Man.  Pay is good, and you usually get double headers, but the assigning fees are very high (up to $15 per game).  Lots of Sunday games.

 

Mickey Mantle and Connie Mack

 

These are HS ages.  Not sure who is assigning these this year, but they were all 2 man in the past.  Usually paid $60 per umpire per game with some double-headers.

 

Other youth baseball (PONY, etc):

 

Almost all 1 man, and the pay is usually around $60 per game.  May get some 2 man here and there, but it's rare.

 

There are many other sources of baseball here in SoCal, with higher level tournaments that I am just starting to break into, but the above gives you an idea.  There have been many times where I have invited another umpire (as long as the assignor is okay with it) to work games that were assigned as 1 man, but we agreed to work together and split the fees.  I have done this in both regular season HS, as well as off-season.  I usually will do this where I have a 1 man DH and we can each do the dish and the bases.  Teams love it because they are getting 2 for the price of 1.  Sometimes everyone else (that I like to partner with) is already working so we all have to go it alone.  Sometimes I get invited to partner as well which is always nice.

 

I have to admit that I laugh when I hear people who are shocked at thought of working a big-field game solo.  It's SO not a big deal as long as you show them you are working hard.  I stand by my comment that it's still just a kid's game.  Nobody is going to miss out on their next major league contract if they are called out on a steal at second when they got around the tag.  Seriously, if the teams/coaches/leagues thought it was THAT important, then I assume they would find a way to pay 2+ umpires to work their games.  By only paying enough for one umpire, they are sending the message that they are okay with the product that one umpire can provide.  I appreciate your perspective, and think it's great that everyone in your area is willing to pay for 2+ umpires for every game.  It's just not that way here, and I suspect it never will be.

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

Late last year (after most of our local stuff was done for the season) I got a panicked call from a tournament director in a large city about 2-1/2 hours away. They were in desperate need of umpires for that coming weekend...big tournament being played at several complexes around the city and suburbs. They offered pay slightly above normal, plus pay for mileage and hotel.

I rounded up 3 other guys from our local ass'n and we took the deal. Only after we got there were we told that they were using 1-man "crew". I had 12u...90 degrees, hazy, humid, 7 games on Saturday without a break (8am, 10am, 12n, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm). I'm in decent shape for my age (58), but this was WAY more than I had bargained for.

Initially we were led to believe that we were having to work 1-man because they couldn't find enough umpires for all the fields. We found out part way thru the day that ALL the umpires were from out of town, as the local association had refused to work 1-man.

We all felt like scabs.

Never again.

1-man is for t-ball and coach-pitch.

10u is play pitch but there are no close calls 1 man can call it all and be fine the field is tiny its all visable easily from home
  • 0
Posted

 

Late last year (after most of our local stuff was done for the season) I got a panicked call from a tournament director in a large city about 2-1/2 hours away. They were in desperate need of umpires for that coming weekend...big tournament being played at several complexes around the city and suburbs. They offered pay slightly above normal, plus pay for mileage and hotel.

I rounded up 3 other guys from our local ass'n and we took the deal. Only after we got there were we told that they were using 1-man "crew". I had 12u...90 degrees, hazy, humid, 7 games on Saturday without a break (8am, 10am, 12n, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm). I'm in decent shape for my age (58), but this was WAY more than I had bargained for.

Initially we were led to believe that we were having to work 1-man because they couldn't find enough umpires for all the fields. We found out part way thru the day that ALL the umpires were from out of town, as the local association had refused to work 1-man.

We all felt like scabs.

Never again.

1-man is for t-ball and coach-pitch.

10u is play pitch but there are no close calls 1 man can call it all and be fine the field is tiny its all visable easily from home

 

 

You still shouldn't be camped out at home for any calls on the bases unless the play dictates that you stay home for a play there.

  • 0
Posted

Let's face facts. ONE umpire.........is not a crew. Someone hung you out there (or you're doing your best to help out), so just do the best you can.

I like doing 10U alone, its easy calls not a problem but anything over you need 2 umps, but in 10U its easy to do and Im a lonner type so I like doing things myself if i can an in 10U its fun and easy to do alone
  • 0
Posted

Late last year (after most of our local stuff was done for the season) I got a panicked call from a tournament director in a large city about 2-1/2 hours away. They were in desperate need of umpires for that coming weekend...big tournament being played at several complexes around the city and suburbs. They offered pay slightly above normal, plus pay for mileage and hotel.

I rounded up 3 other guys from our local ass'n and we took the deal. Only after we got there were we told that they were using 1-man "crew". I had 12u...90 degrees, hazy, humid, 7 games on Saturday without a break (8am, 10am, 12n, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm). I'm in decent shape for my age (58), but this was WAY more than I had bargained for.

Initially we were led to believe that we were having to work 1-man because they couldn't find enough umpires for all the fields. We found out part way thru the day that ALL the umpires were from out of town, as the local association had refused to work 1-man.

We all felt like scabs.

Never again.

1-man is for t-ball and coach-pitch.

10u is play pitch but there are no close calls 1 man can call it all and be fine the field is tiny its all visable easily from home

You still shouldn't be camped out at home for any calls on the bases unless the play dictates that you stay home for a play there.I don't camp there I am putting the field size in perspectove by saying you CAN see from there, if course I go out to make calls but I was using that to better describe field size

  • 0
Posted

Grayhawk, sounds like you have a great attitude and you try to make the best out of every game situation. I applaud you. Good job.

I do not mind the long post. If you have good things to say, let er rip. You make strong points

As far as laughing at people being shocked when we hear that an area is using 1-man, I can understand that since what is normal in your area is so different than mine. Please realize that in my area a 1-man crew is impossible. It would be like teams showing up without gloves and bats and balls, and trying to play a game. Of course a 10 year old game is very different than a J.V. game. That is what shocked me. J.V. Baseball games with 1 umpire in some parts of USA

I had never heard of that being done.

I understand it is your perspective that it is a kids game and Matt saying that players can learn life lessons when umpires miss a call. We make enough bad calls in 2-man that the players are learning life lesdons already.

I look at it from an umpire paycheck perspective

If you work one man you are taking a paycheck out of a working umpire's pocket. You may enjoy the 1.5 fee and gladly pocket the money, but another umpire did not work that game and made nothing unless he is somewhere else in town also working 1-man. Philosophically, I think it dishonors the game., but now I am getting serious and it is not my intention to disrespect anyone.

I have already told you I respect you. We have a difference in opinion. There are a lot of serious issues in America and this is only a game.

  • 0
Posted

No worries Sayhey - I don't feel disrespected and I hope you don't either.  Our beliefs with respect to umpiring are a product of the region we live in.  What's normal for one region may be ridiculous in another.

 

Honestly, even with as many umpires as there are here in SoCal, I suspect it would be difficult to fill all the games if every one of them were 2 man.  There is just SO much baseball going on here at all age levels.

 

Believe me, I wish all HS games (regular season, at least) were 2 man or more, and I know the association leadership has these discussions with the schools, but the money just isn't there.  It was nice that the Trinity League (private schools) went to 2 man for their freshman and JV games.  It gives guys that are not varsity rated a chance to work 2 man and be evaluated and move up.  I hope they keep doing  it and maybe the word spreads to other leagues as well.

  • 0
Posted

Well I just got back from the game I made this thread about, wasn't too hard one team was really good another was not my calls had no real impact as the score was 21-1 at the end, 10 came in on walks, despite my calling my usual large zone, we mercyed after 4 innings the away team(the tesm scoring 21 runs) conceded their third out so the home team could bat before it got dark(4 innings is minimum we can play) , wasn't so bad with this matchup but I wouldnt do it again(10U is the highest I will willing do alobe) because there could be closer calls in the game I got lucky that there were no close calls

  • 0
Posted

I just did a 12u game solo and was fine with it.  Plenty of close calls but I think I got them all right as there were no major complaints.  Trying to make sure I'm in a good spot for all the calls.  Had several plays where I wasn't sure if the throw would go to first or home, all went to first which was the correct play each time.  Reading the action is imperative when doing solo but you also have to expect the unexpected.   

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

Let's all work hard on every pitch and support each other. We have no union. Hopefully , conditions will improve. It sounds like all are trying to make the best of every situation they are placed in. Hopefully more money will become available to hire a full crew whatever full is in your area. We need better dressing conditions and higher pay. Hopefully if we work hard and do a good job this summer we will see better conditions next year. The more respect we earn the more likely conditions will improve.

We have dressing rooms at most fields. Sometimes we share the room with a mover and tools. I do not get it sometimes. If umpires are a vital component to a successful program why are they an after thought most of the time?

  • 0
Posted

I honestly prefer to dress at my car most of the time.  My gear is always in my trunk, and it's a pain to have to get it all into a gear bag and haul it into a dressing room.  If it's hot and there is no shade in the parking lot, then I would like to have a better place to get ready if it's cooler there.  I definitely prefer my car to some crappy shed or tiny little bathroom.

 

I've had dressing rooms for 4 games this year:

 

Twice when I umpired with KFinn at UCLA in the off season

Once at Angels Stadium for a regular season HS game

Once for a HS playoff game

 

In each of those cases, the dressing room was nice and spacious, with an attached bathroom.  If I had something like that every time, I would probably change my tune.

  • Like 2
  • 0
Posted

No worries Sayhey - I don't feel disrespected and I hope you don't either.  Our beliefs with respect to umpiring are a product of the region we live in.  What's normal for one region may be ridiculous in another.

 

Honestly, even with as many umpires as there are here in SoCal, I suspect it would be difficult to fill all the games if every one of them were 2 man.  There is just SO much baseball going on here at all age levels.

 

Believe me, I wish all HS games (regular season, at least) were 2 man or more, and I know the association leadership has these discussions with the schools, but the money just isn't there.  It was nice that the Trinity League (private schools) went to 2 man for their freshman and JV games.  It gives guys that are not varsity rated a chance to work 2 man and be evaluated and move up.  I hope they keep doing  it and maybe the word spreads to other leagues as well.

@grayhawk The same thing goes on here in AZ..... So many games year-round, we do quite a bit on one-man.

  • 0
Posted

We used to have an air conditioned space with private room and bathroom at one ball park.

Someone decided the press box people needed all that space and now we are down the left field line in a big warehouse with movers and drags

We do have a reefer down there for drinks and snacks but our nice bathroom and sink is now a porta potty. Sucks when that happens.

My double header Sunday will be at a ball park that does have a private umpire dressing room

Bathroom is public but just steps away.

Once again, it seems short sided to not provide umpires with comfortable conditions. You get a better game called if umpire needs are met.

We one park at a high school where they open up a football locker room that is always cool and has a big shower room. Sometimes I will shower before and after the game. We get over 100 degrees in the summer

  • 0
Posted

I haven't had the experience of an umpire's changing room yet so I really don't know what I'm missing.  At least with the car, you are the only one with access to your stuff.  Unless of course, someone breaks out your window.

  • 0
Posted

We do not have a lot of crime. The car can be quick and handy. If I have a double header I like a dressing room. Here is a quick tip. Buy a big roller bag like you would roll through an airport and check. 50 lbs and under. Buy a garment bag and out shirts and pants in it. Bungee cord the garment bag to your roller bag and roll it to the dressing room. You can do this high end and look like ya got it together. Dress in a dressing room when you can. We have all experienced someone walking by as you put your cup on

It really sucks when it is a 10 year old little girl

Protect yourself and dress in a room or way back in the parking lot. Every Athletic director in USA should be ashamed of themselves if they do not provide a dressing room for high school umpires.

We have one that does not because they use a public field. Another alternative is a tent.

We do tournaments at a city complex that put up a big tent for the umpires

  • 0
Posted

When I umpired back in KY, the main field I worked had a changing area above the concession stand.  It was nice as I could bring my gear and get dressed there.  I would think we would have something like that in FL with all the baseball going on here but so far I have not seen it. 

  • 0
Posted

I honestly prefer to dress at my car most of the time. My gear is always in my trunk, and it's a pain to have to get it all into a gear bag and haul it into a dressing room. If it's hot and there is no shade in the parking lot, then I would like to have a better place to get ready if it's cooler there. I definitely prefer my car to some crappy shed or tiny little bathroom.

I've had dressing rooms for 4 games this year:

Twice when I umpired with KFinn at UCLA in the off season

Once at Angels Stadium for a regular season HS game

Once for a HS playoff game

In each of those cases, the dressing room was nice and spacious, with an attached bathroom. If I had something like that every time, I would probably change my tune.

I just wear the gear to the field, I dress at home
×
×
  • Create New...