Question on DH and substitutions

conbo61
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3726 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Going through the casebook and this one popped into my head with regard to the DH (Casebook 3.1.4C & D; page 26)

F4, for whom the DH is batting, pinch hits or pinch runs for the DH, then the DH is eliminated for the rest of the game. No issues, I understand that completely.

My question is: Can S1 (NOT the ORIGINAL DH) then substitute for F4 an inning or two later and can F4 then re-enter?  The original DH can ONLY re-enter for F4 (by virtue of him being "locked" into that spot in the batting order.) 

Example:

Able is playing F4, Baker is DH-ing.

In the third inning, Able pinch runs for Baker (DH eliminated).  Can Charlie sub for Able in the 5th inning and can Able return in the 7th?

Thank you.

The way to think about the DH and the fielder for whom he bats is that they are both starters and both in the game at the same time, one on offense, and one on defense.

So if the fielder plays on offense, the role of the DH is eliminated. That's not a substitution, and neither player is (yet) out of the game. Both have their re-entry privilege.

You should be able to answer your question now. :)

See also this thread.

• Like 1

A question on the NFHS test has me a little flustered.

Can a courtesy runner run for the DH?     

As I understand the concept of courtesy runners, it's to speed up the game for the catchers/pitchers (we're talking FED here).  That said, I don't see how a DH (who is not going into the game on defense) needs that time.    

I answered NO, you can't use a CR for a DH.   Was this correct?      Can you point me to a rule or case book reference?   

The one question I got wrong on the test won't be available for me to review for quite some time, but i'm dying to know if this is the one I got wrong.

Thanks folks.  One last follow up.

When Charlie subbed for Able, that effectively ended the playing day for Baker since he can only come back in for Able in that slot in the batting order.

Correct?

Can Baker then be used as a courtesy runner since he is no longer in the game?

Thanks folks.  One last follow up.

When Charlie subbed for Able, that effectively ended the playing day for Baker since he can only come back in for Able in that slot in the batting order.

Correct?

Can Baker then be used as a courtesy runner since he is no longer in the game?

When Able bats, Baker is removed once.  When Charlie comes in, Able is removed once.  Since both Able and Baker were starters, they can each re-enter.

So, Baker re-enters.  Charlie is now done for the day (he was not a starter and thus cannot reenter).  then Able PHs for Baker -- Baker is now done for the day.  Then Daniels runs for Able --- Able is now done for the day.