When the Manager is a Board Member in LL

Dannytheman
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4011 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Here would have been your report on me.

dumbdumb was ejected for yada yada yada. He immediately left the LL site ( and that means not going in the public street or just outside the boundary and continuing to observe the game even though off the site).

The league sent me a letter that he was suspended from his following game, which was last night at 8. (Fri, 5/17).

"I was told dumbdumb was no where to be found for the game". Other coaches have sat in the neighbors yards across the street from the left field fence, maybe 300 feet from the dish, "but dumbdumb did not do this".

That being said. I had 2 games to today, the ejected manager, dumbdumb/board member was there. I walked straight up to him, shook his hand and said, "You and I OK"? He said yes, and I said thanks and continued to the field I was assigned.

Me and my partner restricted a board member to the dugout last season because he pushed over a cooler of ice and spilled it on the field while yelling about something. We couldn't tell if he was yelling at us (the umps) or one of his players. 

Dan,

You were spot-on on your handling of this situation. The issue with the parking lot is a judgement call. If you felt the manager was trying to insight the team from that location then requiring him to leave was appropriate.

This example is a great case study and the exact reason that LL instituted the "Adult UIC" rule when minors officiate. BOD members should know how to behave period. Fortunately for you and those that follow you, it sounds like the President supported your decision.

I recently experienced a similar situation.......Manager/Coach charging down the line frantically arguing balls and strikes. In my case, the Manager/Coach was not only a BOD member but also a former President and is the current UIC for the league. Needless to say the ejection did not stand.

My response......I no longer officiate for this league.

Dan,

You were spot-on on your handling of this situation. The issue with the parking lot is a judgement call. If you felt the manager was trying to insight the team from that location then requiring him to leave was appropriate.

This example is a great case study and the exact reason that LL instituted the "Adult UIC" rule when minors officiate. BOD members should know how to behave period. Fortunately for you and those that follow you, it sounds like the President supported your decision.

I recently experienced a similar situation.......Manager/Coach charging down the line frantically arguing balls and strikes. In my case, the Manager/Coach was not only a BOD member but also a former President and is the current UIC for the league. Needless to say the ejection did not stand.

I thought all LL permitted the board to do on ejections was increase the suspension to more than one game?  Is my memory wrong?

Dan,

I thought all LL permitted the board to do on ejections was increase the suspension to more than one game?  Is my memory wrong?

You are correct, LL mandates a min of one game suspension. The BOD can not lower the one game, but they can increase it. 

Mike has this correct, we have a bub rule that if if you are ejected once, you serve suspension. If a second time, you are gone from the league for that season.

If I was smart, I would eject them all in early April to keep them on their best behavior for rest of year.  (Just kidding)

• Like 1

We had an ejection in our league on Saturday.  The manager found some info on the LL Facebook site where a league vacated an ejection because they found that it was in error.  In their case, a manager was ejected because an obscenity was shouted from the vicinity of the dugout and the umpire thought the manager was the one who said it.  It was later determined (not sure how) that it was a fan who was standing near the dugout that said it, so they vacated the ejection.

The manager in our league brought this up because he felt the umpire was the aggressor in his ejection and that it wasn't warranted.  Apples to oranges to the case on the LL Facebook page.  He served his one game suspension last night and will be back on the field tomorrow.

As an aside, the umpire that ejected him on Saturday was scheduled to umpire their game last night.  There was some discussion by the board that taking him off that game was a good idea, but I strongly disagreed, and also went to the district UIC for his support as well.  The board backed the umpire and he did the game last night with no issues.

Dan,

You are correct, LL mandates a min of one game suspension. The BOD can not lower the one game, but they can increase it. 

All are correct here. Once a Manger/Coach is ejected, they are also suspended for the next game as well. A BOD can increase that suspension or even remove a coach from the league if they feel it's warranted.

In my case, the EJ was legit as the Manager/Coach continued to argue Balls/Strikes even after the discussion had ended. What I experienced was LL politics at its worst. The Manger/Coach that I tossed was not only a BOD member but also the UIC for the league and a former President. He and the current BOD members (including the president) decided to ignore the rule requiring him to sit out the additional game and allow him to participate.

My only recourse at that point was to approach the D/A and file a complaint. In my experience, at least with this administrator, he usually refers the issue back to the league president for resolution. It's circular logic that makes no sense but it is what it is.

As I said above, I had one of two options;

1). Ignore it and continue to officiate for this group.

2). Stop working games for this league and move on.

I went with option 2. Once a league goes down the road of cherry picking which rules to enforce or not, it creates chaos for those of us officiating.  Fortunately I belong to several associations with many other opportunities. I suspect I will see this coach again however as he also coaches travel ball. 

Mike has this correct, we have a bub rule that if if you are ejected once, you serve suspension. If a second time, you are gone from the league for that season.

If I was smart, I would eject them all in early April to keep them on their best behavior for rest of year.  (Just kidding)

I like it!

If he left the field and went to his car in the parking lot, that is good enough.

As a Board Member he did have a meeting to attend.

Even if he wasn't a Board Member, he may have had to wait for kids playing in the game which he was transporting.

Once the game is over there are plenty of reasons he may have to come back as long as one of them is not to confront you.

If he left the field and went to his car in the parking lot, that is good enough.

As a Board Member he did have a meeting to attend.

Even if he wasn't a Board Member, he may have had to wait for kids playing in the game which he was transporting.

Once the game is over there are plenty of reasons he may have to come back as long as one of them is not to confront you.

FYI, the parking lot he was sitting in is above right field about 250 feet away. I considered that present at the game.

Purely visable from 3rd base dugout, which his team was occupying.

I was at the board meeting to, and when asked for my report, I said "All things are going well, we have not missed any assignments."

When the league president asked me what happened, I said it will all be in my report. Keep it professional, nothing personal. But everyone knew via texting that was flying around.

I can't be bothered to look for a coach once I've ejected him.  If he's not in contact with the team and he's far enough away to not bother the game on the field, he's OK with me.  I have a game to umpire.

• Like 1

I ejected a coach once in a JrLL game, which if he goes to the parking lot he is far enough away to not interfere with the game but still watch. The problem was he then threatened to meet me after the game. I then told him he was off the property. In that park there was a parking lot directly behind RF, that is another business's lot. He went there, met my requirement and was no longer a problem. 

Dan,

All are correct here. Once a Manger/Coach is ejected, they are also suspended for the next game as well. A BOD can increase that suspension or even remove a coach from the league if they feel it's warranted.

In my case, the EJ was legit as the Manager/Coach continued to argue Balls/Strikes even after the discussion had ended. What I experienced was LL politics at its worst. The Manger/Coach that I tossed was not only a BOD member but also the UIC for the league and a former President. He and the current BOD members (including the president) decided to ignore the rule requiring him to sit out the additional game and allow him to participate.

My only recourse at that point was to approach the D/A and file a complaint. In my experience, at least with this administrator, he usually refers the issue back to the league president for resolution. It's circular logic that makes no sense but it is what it is.

As I said above, I had one of two options;

1). Ignore it and continue to officiate for this group.

2). Stop working games for this league and move on.

I went with option 2. Once a league goes down the road of cherry picking which rules to enforce or not, it creates chaos for those of us officiating.  Fortunately I belong to several associations with many other opportunities. I suspect I will see this coach again however as he also coaches travel ball. 

Where is Rich on this?????????????????

Would LL international like to know of incidents like this??????????????Direct violation of sportsmanlike conduct rules and penalties?

Of course you probably run the risk of being blackballed or called a snitch or whistleblower and never work anywhere.

Isn't it funny how doing the right thing gets you no where. Where are the Adult heroes. Where are the Adult people to look up to as examples.

Once again, win at all cost, I only want an unfair advantage wins again. This is what the kids are learning. Great role models, yes sir re baby.

Little League is HUGE..... I sure would hate to see LLI have to deal with every instance of trouble that occurs. One of my district representatives is one of the biggest "a" holes I have had the displeasure of meeting. But he is a volunteer, so they get what he's worth. (He always makes up rules)