Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4880 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have a Wilson charcoal that I bought used but in great shape - i've used it for at least 3 full seasons at 100-150 games behind the plate per year. I don;t really do anything to care for it but it looks the same as the day i got it and seems like it is going to last forever. Is there a reason to get new equipment, from a safety standpoint? Does the padding break down (w/out being noticable) over time? I've worn out a mask and plate shoe's in the same time period. but my used, $40 on CL charcoal is a rock

Posted

Yes the padding will break down over time. How much time, I can't tell you, you will have to use your judgement. Push down on the padding across various spots and see how cushioning the padding is, See how quickly it bounces back when it is compressed.

Posted

Masks & helmets I would worry about the padding breaking down after a couple of seasons, CP's not as much (especially hardshell models).  FranklinT has an excellent point about the use of "vintage" CP use in MLB.

 

If it was something that I started to think or become concerned about, I would either replace the padding (if available) or get a new CP and relegate the old one to back-up duty.

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

I just discovered the material covering the padding on my WV Gold is breaking down.

The left shoulder area has a rip.

Temp repair with a piece of Duct Tape to prevent further ripping.

Purchased Oct 2009

Probably worn 700 plus games.

Need to replace and may go with TW Retro Fit.

 

Worked a LL Big League game last night and took a Hard Foul that center punched me in the CP.

Still didn't feel anything.

Although the Loud Noise from the impact seemed to startle everyone else.

 

So after almost 4 years and 700 games, the padding still is good but the nylon material is starting to deteriorate.

  • Like 1
Posted

Funny because we see guys wearing old Powerd and West Vests (CPs and the triple knee leg guards) that are over 20 years old.

 

Some of these CP's have been retrofitted with new padding.

×
×
  • Create New...