Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5199 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I was asked to Work a LL Distric tournament next week.

Never Done LL before so I am looking for a copy of the rules.

The one I tryied to dowload is password protected.

HELP?

Posted

I was asked to Work a LL Distric tournament next week.

Never Done LL before so I am looking for a copy of the rules.

The one I tryied to dowload is password protected.

HELP?

I sent you a message via this site (however that works)

Posted

Have fun nad enjoy but beware, the stupidity level usually goes up a notch in the all-star tournaments. At least from my experience.

the inherent risk of that is probably exacerbated by the LL model that changes the rules for the tournament season . . . . the coaches that can't understand the regular season rules can be in deep doo-doo . . .

Posted

My game fee DOUBLES as soon as I hear the words LL

Posted

I really enjoy doing LL. I do everything from 9/10s to 17/18s. Last night I did a SrLL double and we were trying to get them in before dark. The PU came to me and asked if the LL rule was the coach had to wear a mask when he warms up the pitcher. I said no it wasn't because he isn't allowed to warm him at all. The manager complained that they were trying to speed things up because of no lights. I told him to let his F9 do it. No big argument simply handled.

Posted

LL? No game fees here for the tournament.

No Fee = No Me

I have too much time, $ and effort invested in gear, uniforms, and training to not get paid. You work for free? Not a chance in the pit of Hades (remember that line from Young Guns?). Lol

  • Like 1
Posted

I absolutely work LL free and have for 37 years. I get paid for everything else but I figure I learned in LL and I can go back and teach in LL. Some guys hate it but I find it fun.

Posted

LL? No game fees here for the tournament.

My understanding of LL is that is a national mandate. As I understand it, local LLs are prohibited from paying umpires for the tournament games, and strongly encouraged to get volunteers for the regular season. (My impression is also that the strong encouragement is relatively ineffective and most leagues do actually pay during the season. (While AYSO has pulled off the "only volunteer refs," model -- albeit with problems in some areas -- it's a lot tougher when you need plate gear than when you can give someone a uniform after taking a class, and they've done a good job of staging the training needed for different levles.))

Posted

LL? No game fees here for the tournament.

No Fee = No Me

I have too much time, $ and effort invested in gear, uniforms, and training to not get paid. You work for free? Not a chance in the pit of Hades (remember that line from Young Guns?). Lol

Nothing wrong with working LL.

I work LL.

Have been a LL UIC.

I take pay during the regular season. Even as UIC I took pay but volunteered my time holding clinics and scheduling and paying umpires.

But I will volunteer on the days I don't have paying games for Post Season.

I am presently doing Junior All Stars for a District and this Saturday night will be working a Big League Sectional game with two umpires that I helped get started and would work anytime and any where with. SDix and his son Cameron.

Looking forward to working a 4 man crew with them and the District UIC.

A few good things about these is:

1. Networking. It increases the amount of games you will get offered to be paid on during the season and in other leagues.

2. Giving something back to the community.

Try volunteering sometime.

Might make you feel good.

  • Like 1
Posted

Non paid umpires in LL is encouraged but not mandated. Some regions won't consider you for post season if you take pay. I never charge for any 60ft, but have been paid for 90ft.

Some leagues use non paid but make up with other perks. Free uniforms or equipment is one way. Gift cards or other means have been employed.

Posted

I'm occasionally asked to "volunteer" my services. Depending on who asks me, I will. I will not work a regular schedule for free. Back in April, tornadoes ripped through a community I cut my teeth calling in. The UIC called me to volunteer for a charoty tourney. The $ raised to help families at the park affected by the storm. I think we called 8 games that weekend. I showed up wearing my finest, in full "dress" uniform. Non-competitive games, but I gave them 100%. Something like that I don't mind, but I don't do it often.

Posted

LL? No game fees here for the tournament.

No Fee = No Me

I have too much time, $ and effort invested in gear, uniforms, and training to not get paid. You work for free? Not a chance in the pit of Hades (remember that line from Young Guns?). Lol

If you want to compare expenses and training time with coaches you'll find that the good ones have as much or more invested as you do.

Posted

I have about $3000 in gear and uniforms, spend about $1000 a year on camps and clinics. Do you really want to go there?

Posted

I have about $3000 in gear and uniforms, spend about $1000 a year on camps and clinics. Do you really want to go there?

Yes.

You get paid so you get it back. @ $50 per game you only need 20 games to recoup ther camps and a few more to recoup the amortized cost of gear and uniforms. Do you get mileage? We don't.

Coaches work for free and still have a pile of expenses.

Dollar-wise you win - we lose.

Posted

I have about $3000 in gear and uniforms, spend about $1000 a year on camps and clinics. Do you really want to go there?

You win - we lose.

every time!!
Posted

#1 - Coaches are rats.

#2 - A lot of coaches get paid. College, HS, AAU to name a few. That's where good coaches go. If you're not there, maybe you should considcer doing something else. Just becasue you can cut and paste rule references doesn't make you a good coach. It makes you a rat. Which brings us back to point #1

Posted

LL? No game fees here for the tournament.

No Fee = No Me

I have too much time, $ and effort invested in gear, uniforms, and training to not get paid. You work for free? Not a chance in the pit of Hades (remember that line from Young Guns?). Lol

Nothing wrong with working LL.

I work LL.

Have been a LL UIC.

I take pay during the regular season. Even as UIC I took pay but volunteered my time holding clinics and scheduling and paying umpires.

But I will volunteer on the days I don't have paying games for Post Season.

I am presently doing Junior All Stars for a District and this Saturday night will be working a Big League Sectional game with two umpires that I helped get started and would work anytime and any where with. SDix and his son Cameron.

Looking forward to working a 4 man crew with them and the District UIC.

A few good things about these is:

1. Networking. It increases the amount of games you will get offered to be paid on during the season and in other leagues.

2. Giving something back to the community.

Try volunteering sometime.

Might make you feel good.

No good deed goes unpunished. Words to live by.

Posted

I have about $3000 in gear and uniforms, spend about $1000 a year on camps and clinics. Do you really want to go there?

You win - we lose.

every time!!

Believe what you wish.

Posted

#1 - Coaches are rats.

#2 - A lot of coaches get paid. College, HS, AAU to name a few. That's where good coaches go. If you're not there, maybe you should considcer doing something else. Just becasue you can cut and paste rule references doesn't make you a good coach. It makes you a rat. Which brings us back to point #1

Your proctologist called - he found your head. :angel4:

Posted

LL is non-profit, yet I'm sure that those who work real jobs within the orgainization get paid. Why should an umpire work a 2 hour game for free. Most of the LL I know are now using experienced umpires. Keeps things in order. I volunteer. Sat on the LL Board for years. Give free clinics with TH3 to the kids and coaches. I will even go out and do games for a good cause for no fee. But please, LL is shown on television. It's a moneymaker, but lets not pay the umpires. Give me a break.

  • Like 1
Posted

#1 - Coaches are rats.

#2 - A lot of coaches get paid. College, HS, AAU to name a few. That's where good coaches go. If you're not there, maybe you should considcer doing something else. Just becasue you can cut and paste rule references doesn't make you a good coach. It makes you a rat. Which brings us back to point #1

Your proctologist called - he found your head. :angel4:

your urologist called. Seems he's never seen ears on a .... Nevermind.
Posted

Got a call today. I have two LL majors tournament games Saturday and Sunday. Both games at 4:00, forcast temperature for both games is 103 degrees and humid..........Bring it on.

×
×
  • Create New...