Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5805 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

I do it on the main frame, but have seen professionals and amateurs alike attach to the ear.

The theory, which I would have to agree with, is that moving the connection points spreads out the harness and actually creates less contact between the harness and the head. The less contact the less friction the mask has in being hit off. The less friction the less chance of injury.

Being on the main frame, there is more contact, more friction and actually a little better leverage, any/all of these increase the chance of injury.

All that said I still believe the number one way to prevent injury is to have your harness adjusted properly. Make sure that when you put your mask on the harness is loose enough that when you look straight down it remains on your head, but the chin dropps about 1.5-2 inches from your chin.

Posted

I wear mine loose as a goose (or I did) haven't worked since last November at Kentucky for Fall World Series Final...........(sigh) I wear the harness on the ear flaps. Never even had my bell rung and been hit dozens of times both glancing and square, full-on shots. It always spins off and takes all that negative energy with it. (grin)

Posted

I think some guys use the ear flap to attach their harness is to aid in removal of the mask w/o pulling off your cap. I tried that for a few games and did not like the feel of the setup.

  • 4 weeks later...
Posted

I wear mine on the main frame..and just loose enough. Hoping that my bell never gets rung. Have had a few glancing blows, but nothing hard and direct.

Gee, this game is going fast.

I've never been hit in the (insert body part here)

Posted

Gee, this game is going fast.

I've never been hit in the (insert body part here)

:)

Truer words never spoken.

I'm a main frame guy, but honestly because I've really never thought to do it the other way. May be worth a shot. I've had my bell rung once or twice.

Posted

:shrug:

Truer words never spoken.

I'm a main frame guy, but honestly because I've really never thought to do it the other way. May be worth a shot. I've had my bell rung once or twice.

Dammit! I didn't even realize I jinxed myself. Does it help that I said "hoping" in the first part of the sentence? :banghead:

*note to self - choose your words more carefully. :kissass:


×
×
  • Create New...