Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5821 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

I saw 3 umpires calling it.. which is great, if 1 calls it, all umpires should echo it, it makes the crew look that much better.

same way with calling time, whether the ball goes out of play, or some one ask for and is granted time, all umpires should call time, so that way all the umpires now what is going on.

Posted

I saw 3 umpires calling it.. which is great, if 1 calls it, all umpires should echo it, it makes the crew look that much better.

same way with calling time, whether the ball goes out of play, or some one ask for and is granted time, all umpires should call time, so that way all the umpires now what is going on.

Be careful with advocating this mechanic to younger, less experienced umpires.

The problem stems from a potential argument - what if the manager mistakenly goes to a / the umpire who did not see the balk, but echoed the call?

If we were working together, you called a balk, I echoed it, and the coach came to me, you would most likely step out and tell to "talk to me, that's my call," vice versa if I had the call.

However, if you have a less experienced guy out there, and you see nothing but he calls a balk, you echo, the manager comes to you, and he doesn't step up to intercept the manager, what do you do?

This is precisely why the B-Can directive on the subject is for other umpires to echo the base award only.

Generally not an isssue with the levels you work, but something that must be mentioned due to the variety of readers here.

Posted

Be careful with advocating this mechanic to younger, less experienced umpires.

The problem stems from a potential argument - what if the manager mistakenly goes to a / the umpire who did not see the balk, but echoed the call? then the umpire who called it should say " it's my call"

If we were working together, you called a balk, I echoed it, and the coach came to me, you would most likely step out and tell to "talk to me, that's my call," vice versa if I had the call.

However, if you have a less experienced guy out there, and you see nothing but he calls a balk, you echo, the manager comes to you, and he doesn't step up to intercept the manager, what do you do?

This is precisely why the B-Can directive on the subject is for other umpires to echo the base award only.

Generally not an issue with the levels you work, but something that must be mentioned due to the variety of readers here.

i see your point, but as umpires we should be working together.. we are 3rd team out there right, and besides if a coach see 2 or 3 or 4 umpires all signaling the balk, they should " damn all of them called it, must have been a balk then" of course it doesn't always happen like that right...LOL

Posted

Be careful with advocating this mechanic to younger, less experienced umpires.

The problem stems from a potential argument - what if the manager mistakenly goes to a / the umpire who did not see the balk, but echoed the call?

If we were working together, you called a balk, I echoed it, and the coach came to me, you would most likely step out and tell to "talk to me, that's my call," vice versa if I had the call.

However, if you have a less experienced guy out there, and you see nothing but he calls a balk, you echo, the manager comes to you, and he doesn't step up to intercept the manager, what do you do?

This is precisely why the B-Can directive on the subject is for other umpires to echo the base award only.

Generally not an isssue with the levels you work, but something that must be mentioned due to the variety of readers here.

if my partner calls balk and I echo it--when the coach comes out and ask me what i got I tell him that I was echoing my partners call of a balk and my partner will tell you what he/she has-- treat it the same as when your partner calls time-you echo it --you do not know why time was called you are just echoing the call from your partner.

Posted

if my partner calls balk and I echo it--when the coach comes out and ask me what i got I tell him that I was echoing my partners call of a balk and my partner will tell you what he/she has-- treat it the same as when your partner calls time-you echo it --you do not know why time was called you are just echoing the call from your partner.

I'm the opposite. If I initiate the call and it's mine as the coach comes out, I'll intercept him on his way to my partner. "Hey, Spirit I've got this one. Coach, that was my call."

From there if you say, "No, Warren I'll take" it I'll back off assuming you have what I have.

Now if you initiate the call and I echo and you hang me out to dry, I will not pass the buck, "Well coach I was only echoing my partner..." All that coach knows is he saw me make a balk call, and I'd loose all credibility if I didn't give him an answer. On the next call that coach doesn't like I would most certainly be expecting a visit and expect to hear some snide comment like "Now was this your call or someone else's?"

When that coach comes to me on the call I echoed. I will confidently give him my best guess as to why you called it and live or die on what I say.

Now what I say to you post-game is a different story.

We are a team out there. And echoing is part of our team work, but being responsible for your own calls is also good teamwork.

Posted

Warren:

There is nothing wrong with echoing the call and saying that is what you are doing. If you guess at what the other guy called, you may be wrong and then you both look like dummies. Tell him you are only making sure the rest of the infield knew everything was dead.


×
×
  • Create New...