Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5215 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Not all was happy during the regionals.

They let very few controversial plays be posted on the NCAA website.

Hard to learn anything from them.

The below was handled by a former CWS umpire many times over. Sounds like he made the correct call, even if controversial, and even if some disagreed, but it would be nice to post so others can learn, but not to ridicule, if by chance others think he may or may not have missed the call. Once again, sounds like a good interference call.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20120602/ARTICLES/120609934/1088/sports?Title=Key-interference-call-comes-back-to-haunt-Clemson

  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

The NCAA talked about the FPSR at the clinics this year.. I made a call just like this is a DI conference weekend.. I explained the call to the coach... runner slide at the fielder away from he bag.. easy ...call..but umpires are afraid to make this call.. just like batter interference...

Posted

“We played 62 ballgames and haven't had one call like that all year,†Leggett said. “It's just a tough time for that to come to surface. Let the teams play and let us do our thing. … That was the difference-maker in a close game. That was a tough one to swallow.

That quote in bold is why coaches love umpires who will not make controversial calls and won't rock the boat. "Let us do our thing"...."Let the kids play"...."Don't insert yourself into the game"....and on and on.

Posted

That quote in bold is why coaches love umpires who will not make controversial calls and won't rock the boat. "Let us do our thing"...."Let the kids play"...."Don't insert yourself into the game"....and on and on.

This is exactly the issue that amateur officials face throughout the country.

On another note, I'm trying to dvr as many ncaa games as I can trying to make my own clips of plays to learn from. I will say it again. It is NOT about disparaging the umpire(s)....I want to learn from the clips. They are of tremendous value as a learning tool.

Posted

“We played 62 ballgames and haven't had one call like that all year,†Leggett said. “It's just a tough time for that to come to surface. Let the teams play and let us do our thing. … That was the difference-maker in a close game. That was a tough one to swallow.

That quote in bold is why coaches love umpires who will not make controversial calls and won't rock the boat. "Let us do our thing"...."Let the kids play"...."Don't insert yourself into the game"....and on and on.

It's the classic quote but if we just "let em play" and then a fight breaks out the umpires / officials are the first to get the finger pointed for "not doing enough". They either want us to control the game or they don't, whichever is more expedient for them at the time.

I had a freshman basketball game this last year where I called three intentional fouls for excessive contact or intentionally rough play and the coaches were yelling about just letting them play. After I had changed and was watching the varsity game, I had a chance to talk to the home freshman coach and he said "I know those were the right calls but nobody has made those calls all year."

I simply told him "Coach, if I'm doing what I have to in order to prevent a brawl." He gets it but I don't doubt he was correct, they probably had not seen that many intentional fouls all year, let alone in one game.

I guess this goes to show that officials not calling things and coaches whining about letting them play transcends sports.

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Its also a "rarely made call" because FPSR has been on the books for almost a decade and most teams know what they are doing to not get caught.


×
×
  • Create New...