Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5241 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Yeah...wow.

I have never seen an umpire yank off his mask as part of his Strike 3 Called mechanic. Is he mad that the kid struck out? :HS:shrug: :wow:

Posted

Yeah...wow.

I have never seen an umpire yank off his mask as part of his Strike 3 Called mechanic. Is he mad that the kid struck out? :HS:shrug::wow:

Nah, he is just ready for the ejection that happens after a coach calls him an arrogant ass for making that unnecessary of a C3K signal on little kids.

Posted

^^^ It is stuff like that that give every umpire a bad name. What a doofus! He needs to slow down on smoking the crystal meth.

  • Like 1
Posted

While I certainly concur with everyone that this is a bit "over the TOP" and certainly not something I would do, I'd just like to share an observation.

Back when I was coaching kids this age (I'm guessing the players are around 10????) we had one umpire - a HS age kid - who was very "animated" with ALL his mechanics. He wouldn't pull his mask off on a punch out, but it was BIG. Every call was BIG and LOUD - routine outs at 1B, foul balls back to the backstop, pretty much everything. And, he was a very BIG kid - played OT on the HS football team, catcher on the HS baseball team.

EVERYBODY loved having him umpire the game - the players, the coaches, the parents, the grandparents - EVERYBODY. He was also a great kid, hustled his brains out when he umped, and it was pretty obvious he was having a good time and wasn't trying to show anyone up. He also was very good in terms of getting his calls right and calling a consistent strike zone.

So, sometimes what's "proper" at upper levels isn't necessarily what's proper at lower levels.

Working a men's league game a couple of years, I'm on the bases. My PU partner actually DID the "rip the mask off" thing on called strike 3s. His timing was so terrible that a couple of times he had the mask off, going into his punch out, when the batter fouled off the pitch with a late, defensive swing. It was pretty unbelievable. In the postgame, I suggested he might want to slow down a tad and leave his freakin' mask ON when calling balls and strikes.

JM

Posted

While I certainly concur with everyone that this is a bit "over the TOP" and certainly not something I would do, I'd just like to share an observation.

Back when I was coaching kids this age (I'm guessing the players are around 10????) we had one umpire - a HS age kid - who was very "animated" with ALL his mechanics. He wouldn't pull his mask off on a punch out, but it was BIG. Every call was BIG and LOUD - routine outs at 1B, foul balls back to the backstop, pretty much everything. And, he was a very BIG kid - played OT on the HS football team, catcher on the HS baseball team.

EVERYBODY loved having him umpire the game - the players, the coaches, the parents, the grandparents - EVERYBODY. He was also a great kid, hustled his brains out when he umped, and it was pretty obvious he was having a good time and wasn't trying to show anyone up. He also was very good in terms of getting his calls right and calling a consistent strike zone.

So, sometimes what's "proper" at upper levels isn't necessarily what's proper at lower levels.

Working a men's league game a couple of years, I'm on the bases. My PU partner actually DID the "rip the mask off" thing on called strike 3s. His timing was so terrible that a couple of times he had the mask off, going into his punch out, when the batter fouled off the pitch with a late, defensive swing. It was pretty unbelievable. In the postgame, I suggested he might want to slow down a tad and leave his freakin' mask ON when calling balls and strikes.

JM

John, did you watch the second video posted? I know you can't condone that one!
×
×
  • Create New...