U3 positioning

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5006 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hey guys, ...

I don't work 4 man, well, I mean, I never have, so I don't know, so I thought I'd bring it up here :shakehead:

Is Ed Hickox out of position here? It appears the call is correct, but something doesn't look right .....thoughts?

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=11604515&topic_id=8879976&c_id=mlb

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

R1 only and a hit to the outfield, normally PU should have been rotating to third.

But, it was 3-2 with 2 outs, so it was an automatic "reverse rotation." They got it right, but I wouldn't try this mechanic at your local youth game without lots of pre-game discussion and pre-pitch signalling.

R1 only and a hit to the outfield, normally PU should have been rotating to third.

But, it was 3-2 with 2 outs, so it was an automatic "reverse rotation." They got it right, but I wouldn't try this mechanic at your local youth game without lots of pre-game discussion and pre-pitch signalling.

you are right.. the crew can pre game this.. but if it was a 3-2 count then PU would move to 3rd.

you are right.. the crew can pre game this.. but if it was a 3-2 count then PU would move to 3rd.

Is this only on night games or cloudy day games? :D

To be serious, 4-man mechanics get so detailed that they change a rotation based on number of outs, and then change it based on the count?

I guess the thought is R1 will be stealing with a 3-2 count, so getting 3B is easier on a hit.

To be serious, 4-man mechanics get so detailed that they change a rotation based on number of outs, and then change it based on the count?

I guess the thought is R1 will be stealing with a 3-2 count, so getting 3B is easier on a hit.

only on cloudy day away games BTW...LOL

4 man is easy when your working it everyday like those guys.. I used to think the same for 3 man.. till i started working it a ton.

3- and 4- change (or can change) on outs and count.

In the play at hand, do you think PU could have been in a good position for the play at third? R1 was stealing so was likely more than halfway to second when the ball was hit. That means PU needs to react and run 90' in the time it takes a player already moving at (or near) top speed 135'.

Even in 2-man, BU might have to make this call. That's why all plays in the infield belong to BU UNTIL PU calls him off. There are times when it's more likely (nearing "automatic"), but as soon as you rely on it, you'll get bit.