Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5908 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

This may the Stupidest Question Ever :cheers::D but on a HBP does the batter have to go to 1st or can he stay at the plate and hit?

Somebody asked me this today and I didn't know the answer.

  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

This may the Stupidest Question Ever :HS:question1: but on a HBP does the batter have to go to 1st or can he stay at the plate and hit?

Somebody asked me this today and I didn't know the answer.

OBR 6.08 The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when -

© He is touched by a pitched ball.............

So once he is HBP he is no longer a batter but has become a runner. His time at bat is over. Advance to 1B.

Posted

OBR 6.08 The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when -

© He is touched by a pitched ball.............

So once he is HBP he is no longer a batter but has become a runner. His time at bat is over. Advance to 1B.

Thanks Semper Fi! That makes it clear!

The "becomes a Runner" part is what got me!

Posted

And if you tell the batter to proceed to first and they refuse and stay in the box...?

What happens when a participant doesn't do something they're told to do by an umpire???

:question1:

Posted

And if you tell the batter to proceed to first and they refuse and stay in the box...?

Abandonment...Out?

Posted

No - you eject them and have the sub complete the award.

Participants do what we tell them to do or they dont get to participate......Rich nails it....

Posted

This may the Stupidest Question Ever :beerbang:smachhead: but on a HBP does the batter have to go to 1st or can he stay at the plate and hit?

Somebody asked me this today and I didn't know the answer.

And if you tell the batter to proceed to first and they refuse and stay in the box...?

This happened to me in one of my first Varsity assignments and to top it off I was being evaluated in the game.

BIG #4 hitter up with runners on. He get hits by a pitch which bounced about 5' infront of the plate. The batter actually stepped back and turned away to avoid being hit but it took a bad hop an got him in the back of the calf.

I nonchalantly call time and quietly tell him to go to first.

He acts as if he didn't hear me and is taking some warm up swings.

I say a bit louder, "Batter take first."

He's completely ignoring me and digging in at the plate again.

What do I do? I put the ball back in play and let him stay there, and I knew better.

Batter grounded out.

The post game was interesting.

My partner asked me did you have that pitch hitting him?

I told him yes.

"Then why the hell did you leave him in the box. Somebody should have chewed your ass out there for that, but somehow didn't. So I will."

I got the point of being more authoritative drilled in my head for the next few minutes. :shakehead:

Posted

This happened to me in one of my first Varsity assignments and to top it off I was being evaluated in the game.

BIG #4 hitter up with runners on. He get hits by a pitch which bounced about 5' infront of the plate. The batter actually stepped back and turned away to avoid being hit but it took a bad hop an got him in the back of the calf.

I nonchalantly call time and quietly tell him to go to first.

He acts as if he didn't hear me and is taking some warm up swings.

I say a bit louder, "Batter take first."

He's completely ignoring me and digging in at the plate again.

What do I do? I put the ball back in play and let him stay there, and I knew better.

Batter grounded out.

The post game was interesting.

My partner asked me did you have that pitch hitting him?

I told him yes.

"Then why the hell did you leave him in the box. Somebody should have chewed your ass out there for that, but somehow didn't. So I will."

I got the point of being more authoritative drilled in my head for the next few minutes. :smachhead:

Great story Warren!

Posted

First Rich is correct, he must take the award or be ejected. I've told this story before but my assignor was doing a presaseon game and this happened. Everybody knew he got hit but insisted he hadn't. My assgnor called a foul ball and the fans all got vocal. I told thm he said it didn't hit but it hit something so it must be a foul ball. they all agreed the batter was an idiot. In a real game he woulsn't done that but it was funny.


×
×
  • Create New...