Wendestedt Manual Addendum

umpschool
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4509 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Anyone who has purchased a Wendelstedt Rules and Interpretations Manual, we have prepared an addendum to add to changes made in rules and interpretations from the last edition, and to correct errors that have been addressed. To receive a free copy of this addendum, send an email to admin@umpireschool.com with "Manual Addendum" in the Subject line. We will send you a copy of the addendum via email attachment.

• Like 1

Abandoning effort to run the bases

All references to third outs for abandoning effort to run the bases always being a time play

have been removed. Due to a change in the official interpretation, if a runner abandons his

effort to run the bases before reaching a base his is forced to advance to, the out shall be a

force out. If such out is the third out, no runs may score, whether they crossed the plate

before abandonment was called, or not.

This does not effect plays on which the runner abandons his effort to run the bases before

reaching a base not forced to, or after reaching his forced to base. In those instances, it still

remains a time play if such out is the third out.

Affected Areas – Sections 5.4, 8.4

Where can we find this new interp? Do we need to wait for the new MLB Umpire's Manual?

In your PBUC manual it is a time play... I know at school last year they were trying to get this rule in, as it is not fair to the defense, that a runner who has abandoned his running, a run can still score.

I think I have a pretty good understanding of the abandonment rule, however, at higher levels (FED and above) can you give me a couple of practical examples of where I might see this? Maybe I am looking at it the wrong way, but I've never called it and I don't think I've ever seen it...so where might this type of play occur?

Thanks!

well if it is a time play..

2 outs R3, R1 base hit to win the game.. BR touches 1st, R3 touches home and R1 never goes to 2nd...this is a time play.. did the run score before R1's abandonment?... this is always a time play.. ( until now) ..Now it will be a force and no runs score.

And no appeal is required correct?

well if it is a time play..

2 outs R3, R1 base hit to win the game.. BR touches 1st, R3 touches home and R1 never goes to 2nd...this is a time play.. did the run score before R1's abandonment?... this is always a time play.. ( until now) ..Now it will be a force and no runs score.

And no appeal is required correct?

I would think you would still need an appeal. You already have a third out so there is no need to call abandonment unless asked.

But abandonment is not an "official" appeal play.

It's probably unofficial for most of us in the sense that unless someone from the defense sees and says something, in this situation, we're remaining silent to avoid starting the next world war.

The change in the interpretation now makes that a moot point.

Should the runner have been judged to have abandoned, the interpretation is now saying that out is to be treated as a force out (as long as the runner is being forced to advance).

So in the example, 3rd out due to abandonment, take the run off the board, continue the game.