Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5985 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

All,

I posted this on the other forum as well, but wanted to put it here too for s&g...

--------------------------------

I'm (potentially -- rain) doing my 10th game tonight this season after a 15 year layoff, and so far, I've enjoyed myself very much, and very happy with the decision to get back into it and "give-back" to the community I grew up in.

That said, ..... I've always had a 'big' strike call, ...now, I'm not talking Jim Joyce or anything but .... let's just say there's NO DOUBT what the call is.

I had a parent-scorekeeper between innings the other night say, ..."hey blue, ....thanks ....." I turned and smiled , and said "for??" He replied, "for making my job easy because there's never a doubt what's a strike or not" ...I just smiled and said 'thanks' ...

I know it's a HTBT kind of thing, but .....I was just wondering ...can it be too much?

My strike call is, as a comparison to Jim Joyce's 'bellow', his call being a 10 on the 'big' scale, ...mine is about a 6 or 7, I guess. My call is what I've always done, and it's consistent the whole game, from strike one, to the last strike of the game.

Can it be too much?:)

  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

IMO no as I am also "very clear" on my plate calls. The only thing I get careful of is going over the top with volume or arm motions on called third strikes with the little kids (9's/10's). Half of them are in tears on the way back to the dugout anyways and I don't need a parent in my ear (or face after the game) letting me know I made that situation worse.

For the older kids, have at it on the called third strike, but for the little kids just call the strike and let them know that's it.

Posted

IMHO I do not think its to much.

My Strike call are loud. ( Not Screaming) but Loud. I do not care if they are 8yo or 20yo. I do them all the same.

I have had scorekeepers thank me and parents thank me.

Posted

Just don't look like this guy.

Or this guy.

It just looks goofy.

You could have left the 2nd one out but the First one is too much!

Posted

What about this guy?

For a minute there I thought that was Paperipper!

Just kidding Buddy!

Posted

my called stike is a strong STRIIIKE with a snap point to the right. my called 3rd is a "draw the bow" with a strong "STRIIKE THREE" I know there are some who do not "ring up" the little ones (10u) because they don't want them to feel bad, make them cry or what have you. I disagree, I feel that the pitcher worked hard for the K and I'm going to give it to him. 1

Posted

I did a punch out on a 9/10 yr. old game last year and haven't really felt like doing one since. It felt like it was over the top, and I felt bad about it.

Posted
Guys, ...not talking about punch-outs, ....just strikes ......but these are funny!:2cents:
Just strictly speaking strikes, I guess you could eventually go over the top, but there is nothing wrong with being loud. People (scorekeepers, coaches, etc.) hate having to ask if a pitch was a ball or strike, and I don't like people asking, so I try to be plenty loud enough that they hear it.
Posted

"I punched out a kid" just doesn't sound right :FIRE:

Now substitue "coach" for "kid" and we have a discussion :2cents:

Haven't done it but have thought about it sooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times. :wave:

Posted

I have a loud ( not over the top ) strike call as well followed by a normal point to the right. No knock on anyone who isn't loud at all, but it does seem like it gives the players, coaches, and spectators the impression that you are into the game so to speak, and may buy you a few less moans and groans over the course of the game.

I don't emphatically punch out the little guys, but I let the big ones have it.

Posted

I have a loud ( not over the top ) strike call as well followed by a normal point to the right. No knock on anyone who isn't loud at all, but it does seem like it gives the players, coaches, and spectators the impression that you are into the game so to speak, and may buy you a few less moans and groans over the course of the game.

I don't emphatically punch out the little guys, but I let the big ones have it.

This is an important point and I have noticed this a bunch this year - many games where I have had a "quiet" partner it seems like the coaches try to walk all over him if the slightest thing goes wrong. I think that they are viewed by the coaches as being less than confident beacuse they are less than assertive.

Had two games with a guy for the first time last night even though I know him away from the field. He has the plate for Game 1, has major issues with the home coach for a less than confident call and visiting coach for a generous strike zone all in the first inning and at the same time. I had to deal with the visitor coach and once he knew I meant business and he would get an EJ he settled down, same with the home coach. Second game I had the plate and my partner had coach issues on several field calls he made - I also stepped in on several of those to end the arguing.

Looking back on this, I stepped into the first situation as BU because he lost control and was trying to explain his way out of it. I told the coach to stop, end of discussion and issue. The second game he was less than convincing in his calls and the coaches were on him immediately. I firmly stated the rule in effect, backed his call and stated the play was over, let's play.

Important to note that my partner is about 5'8" and is a very nice, softspoken person to just about everyone he meets. I am 6'4"/260 and while I am quite calm and level headed my voice carries very well and I can flip the badass switch when I need to :2cents:. I think how you carry yourself out there has a direct relationship to a coaches perception of you and how far they feel they can take things.

Posted

Can you elaborate a bit?

Not without seeing / hearing you work. You yourself said it's HTBT.

But, I've clearly seen some that were too drawn out, too loud, too sing-song, or all of the above.

Posted (edited)

For a minute there I thought that was Paperipper!

Just kidding Buddy!

C'mon, Rolo...like I'd ever wear a balloon...:shrug:

My strike call is more a barked "Hike!" as I stand and point to the right.

For the punchout I'd describe it as a "Who!" and...rip the paper :nod:

Edited by Paperipper17
Posted

Friday night, DH and I have the dish for game 1. Babe Ruth Minors. I am loud enough for the concession stand to enjoy. No one ever doubts a call. Game 2-my partner's strike calls are such that my calls sound like the mating call of a mute titmouse. :yippie:For what it is worth, both coaches in these games are animated and the atmosphere of these 2 games is exciting.

Posted

I tend to tone down the volume of my strike calls when I'm doing little league, but my strike calls for the older kids and men are fairly loud.

Posted

C'mon, Rolo...like I'd ever wear a balloon...:rollinglaugh:

My strike call is more a barked "Hike!" as I stand and point to the right.

For the punchout I'd describe it as a "Who!" and...rip the paper :D

Ahh....now I get the name!


×
×
  • Create New...