Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 6040 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

In 2-Man with runner(s) on and BU in B or C, who has the responsibility for a catch/no catch on a soft liner to F3 or F5 coming or diving in towards the plate?

  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

You are a little vague on your description but I say pu has the call

Posted

In 2-Man with runner(s) on and BU in B or C, who has the responsibility for a catch/no catch on a soft liner to F3 or F5 coming or diving in towards the plate?

Depends on your mechanics. CCA has BU taking this call. I agree with this -- BU has the angle; PU will be straightlined.

Posted

Depends on your mechanics. CCA has BU taking this call. I agree with this -- BU has the angle; PU will be straightlined.

Yep. It's amazing, really, how few guys cover catch/no catch responsibility in their pregame, and when this happens, you'll find those guys staring at each other with a deer-in-the-headlights look.

CCA manual has BU taking the lion's share of catch/no-catch in the infield with runners on. :HD:

Pregame, pregame, pregame.

Posted

I don't have my CCA manual with me, but I think that with runners on, the PU only has F2, F1 coming in, and F3/F5 going toward foul territory.

Posted (edited)

Unless it's changed I believe the CCA shows that those calls are the PU's

I know first hand if you remember this post...

UIC:

I'm looking at my CCA manual right now... those calls belong to BU.

With R1, U1 (base umpire) has:

F3 going to his right and going in; (PU has F3 going back and to his left).

F4 on all;

F6 on all;

F5 going to his left and going in (PU has F5 going back and to his right).

In the 2-umpire mechanics section, there are no other infield catch/no-catch coverages detailed with any number of runners on base.

The weird thing about that thread is, we really didn't get around to discussing the appropriate mechanics - rather, it turned into a bunch of horror stories.

Edited by BrianC14
Posted

Something must have changed. My partner and I had a thorough post game and discussed the situation. He mutually agreed I was wrong and I believe we pulled out the book.

Posted

Something must have changed. My partner and I had a thorough post game and discussed the situation. He mutually agreed I was wrong and I believe we pulled out the book.

For the 2-umpire system (in CCA), it changed several years ago.

Note that the coverage is different for 3-umpires. For example, R1 only, U3 in C. You'd think (or at least I think) that the coverage for balls hit to F5 would be the same as in 2-person. But, in 3-person, PU has F5 coming in.

That makes no sense to me.

Posted

Thanks for all the help. I actually had both of these Tuesday (F5 coming in, and F3 coming in). Since it was the first game of the year for me and my partner, we had a lengthy pregame, but did not cover that particular situation.


×
×
  • Create New...