Jump to content

Shock Doctor's VP Discusses Mouthguards for Umpires


Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 6212 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Guys,

I hope everyone is doing well. I promised I would keep everyone in the loop on my research for mouthguards for umpires in help preventing concussions. Here is a very interesting post I'd like to share with you on my talk with Jay Turkbas of Shock Doctor:

http://umpattire.blogspot.com/2009/09/shock-doctors-vp-on-mouthguards-for.html

What I like about the results of this conversation is that there appears there is a very good candidate in a mouthguard that Shock Doctor makes that may work for umpires and, at the same time, may cover some of the issues that some of you have expressed.

I continue to solicit feedback as honestly this is a subject started by umpires and other officials. And as I've shared everything in my three blog posts on the subject these last few months, then you know everything that I do if you've read them. So your insights are greatly appreciated as we move forward on this.

  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

really interested in seeing how this works out.........I am just recently coming off some rather extensive dental work..... a bit restorative, but also cosmetic....and I am very interested in protecting my rather expensive investment.......

Posted

Last Thursday night in fall HS league, I took my "career" foul ball to the mask from the 4th batter of the game..

I was wearing a Diamond Edge HSM. Pitcher unleashes a (had to be) mid 80's heater that the batter drove straight back and struck me just above my left eye where the mask was secured to the shell itself.

All I remember was seeing and feeling the impact and then coming around with a group of voices around me. I don't even remember hitting the ground but somehow landed on my back from being hit in my GD stance. I guess the impact drove me backwards..

No mouthguard..Pain in my head, obviously, and couldn't open my eyes for a few moments and it radiated through into my cervical area of the neck...

I don't know how long I was down but I eventually was helped up, walked around a bit and, against advice, "manned up" to finish the game, so I thought.

On 2 seperate occasions I felt nausea coming up but was able to counter it. Both times I had to call time and casually stroll around a minute. I made it to the middle of the 3rd. 2 out of the last 3 pitches on the last batter--I barely even saw. I started seeing 1 1/2 pitchers on the mound. It was ( actually past) time to go.

I went to my partner and informed him we needed to change. League officials came out and re-checked me again and told me >>:banghead::angel4:.

The irony was that I had ordered a Wilson Shock FX HSM on the day before this happened ( Sorry Jim, but yours wasn't available until October:() and, after reading Jim's article on the research for mouthguards, had checked around for a Shock Doctor brand mouthguard, the very same brand mentioned in Jim' latest blog above. I bought one Friday and have worn it once since with the tether attached to mask of the Wilson.

Would the Wilson shock HSM have made a difference in the impact that I took? I don't know, but I have tried to simulate what I remember of the impact in the mirror and by side by side comparisons of the Wilson and the Diamond masks. It appears the impact point would have indeed struck the uppermost section of the Wilson facepiece. Would it have lessened the shock?(no pun intended) I would hope that maybe.

Would the Shock Doctor Nano Gel model mouthpiece that I now have tethered to the new helmet lessened the effects?? I don't know.Evidence suggests that perhaps it may have.I know the traditonalists will:HS on this subject, as they have on the HSM itself vs traditional masks themselves.

But should I experience another quasi career impact such as the one described here, or and even more severe impact, I have tried to take proactive steps in an attempt to alleviate the damage potential and protect what little bit of noggin left that I have. (wife's opinion N/A here:crazy:)

And a bit about my "manning up" to finish the game in the first place:shakehead:. I have only worked in emergency services as a firefighter, fire officer and EMT for going on 32 years. And, uhh ahem, have seen a few head injuries on the street in that time and am well trained in the subject matter. Ain't it funny (more like STOOPID:nod:) that I can come to YOUR assistance in a matter same as this and WILL STRONGLY:tantrum::ZZZ: advice YOU as to the treatment and abatement steps that YOU NEED TO TAKE, i.e. be transported to the hospital for evaluations, MRIs, recovery ect---

but am just toooo stoopid to do it myself:bang:.

Posted

For those that wear a HSM (I wear one on occasion), check out the padding at your forehead. In my top-o'-the-line All Star, it's minimal compared to any of my traditional masks. It's the same with most helmets. Sure, you've got a big pillow on your chin, but that's only going to save you on shots below your nose. And shocks are a great idea for square blows to the cage. But a shot to your forehead isn't well protected.

I like the idea of mouthguards, but I don't know if I can trade off my ability to bark loudly. Silly, but true.

Posted

Surprisingly, Kyle, I noticed that wearing the Shock Doctor Nano Gel made my voice a little more gruff, so to speak, and I didn't have any problems giving counts, ect. I even apologized once to one of the Momma scorekeepers ( the backstop is pretty close on this field and she had been real nice to me in the previous blow to the head episode with Advil and tylenol) after she had asked me the count and it actually sounded like I was being a real horse's rear end to her request.

I learned quickly that using the tether on the mask, it forced me to "spit out" the guard using my tongue as a pusher when removing the mask when coming out from behind the plate, trailing runners, moving the cover third ect.


×
×
  • Create New...