Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5586 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Evidently MiLB has instructed their umpires to handle the coaches up to a point then stand back and let them go. It sets a horrible precedent as far as I am concerned.

Posted

Well, I wouldn't recommend this approach to the average umpire for the basic fact that you have no idea how many baseballs are actually out there.

However, this situation was exceptionally unique. Here's what my research has gathered:

BP was cancelled and the game was delayed 52 minutes due to rain. U3 is the one who runs out, so U1 did not go out on this deep drive to CF. So U3 is making the call from inside the infield, a look that is at least 250 feet away (all the while, trying to avoid being blocked out by R1, F6, and F8, and trying to see R1's touch of 2B). Getting back to the rain though - things would've been wet, very wet. Naturally, the crew would've come together after Durham's manager came out. When they reached the verdict of "let's send U3 out to look behind the wall", if I am CC, here is what I'm doing:

I'm bringing both managers out of the dugout and I'm going to explain that U3 had a look from very far away and isn't sure, so we're going to send him out and check behind the wall since the Durham OF is staging a stand-up strike, claiming the ball is back there. We acknowledge there is no way to know for sure that if U3 does find a ball behind the fence, it was the one just hit. That said, the recent rainfall would've caused any balls out there to become water logged. Not to mention any balls that had been out there for an extended period of time would be discoloured due to age in some way. If we find a baseball behind the fence, the 3 umpires will get together and determine whether or not that was the ball just hit and at that point, render a verdict. If there is no ball found out there, the original call will stand.

Throw this into the barrel of "once in a lifetime" calls for an umpire. The only reason they got away with sending U3 out is because it had rained earlier in the day. Without rain, sending him out would've been pointless,

Now, once buddy decides to go out for a walk, there really is nothing you can do. He isn't putting anyone's safety at risk, so you just have to let him go (professional situational handling). In amateur baseball, put him on the clock or his team forfeits.

Once he returned from his walk without a ball though, if he tries to resume the argument, boy oh boy would I be barking at him. "You had your chance to find your ball and it isn't there. Now you're still trying to tell me I'm wrong? Maybe your dog ate it. Get off the field."

Posted

Ump_24 i would never talk to both Manager at the same time....

mstaylor In the Minors things are different, let the Manager go..they get fined for Ejections, so he is getting his moneys worth.

Posted

No I understand it is different in the minors but the stupid chickenSH*# actions need to be reined in by the teams. It's not entertaining to the fans and it wastes time.

Posted

No I understand it is different in the minors but the stupid chickenSH*# actions need to be reined in by the teams. It's not entertaining to the fans and it wastes time.

I have to disagree with you on this one Mike. It is entertaining to a lot of fans. That's why these antics make it to youtube.

Posted

No I understand it is different in the minors but the stupid chickenSH*# actions need to be reined in by the teams. It's not entertaining to the fans and it wastes time.

I have to disagree with you on this one Mike. It is entertaining to a lot of fans. That's why these antics make it to youtube.

Come on guys, even as an umpire, you have to admit that Rome manager from a few years ago was pretty entertaining... The grenade toss? That was classic...

Posted

No I understand it is different in the minors but the stupid chickenSH*# actions need to be reined in by the teams. It's not entertaining to the fans and it wastes time.

I have to disagree with you on this one Mike. It is entertaining to a lot of fans. That's why these antics make it to youtube.

Come on guys, even as an umpire, you have to admit that Rome manager from a few years ago was pretty entertaining... The grenade toss? That was classic...

I still don't know how the umpire in that situation wasn't cracking up with the rest of the fans...

Posted

No I understand it is different in the minors but the stupid chickenSH*# actions need to be reined in by the teams. It's not entertaining to the fans and it wastes time.

I have to disagree with you on this one Mike. It is entertaining to a lot of fans. That's why these antics make it to youtube.

Come on guys, even as an umpire, you have to admit that Rome manager from a few years ago was pretty entertaining... The grenade toss? That was classic...

I know the plate Umpire... that whole thing was crazy...LOL the PU never even Ej the coach in the 1st place...LOL

Posted

No I understand it is different in the minors but the stupid chickenSH*# actions need to be reined in by the teams. It's not entertaining to the fans and it wastes time.

I have to disagree with you on this one Mike. It is entertaining to a lot of fans. That's why these antics make it to youtube.

Come on guys, even as an umpire, you have to admit that Rome manager from a few years ago was pretty entertaining... The grenade toss? That was classic...

Not close.

Posted

I would have signaled for him to be tossed. I would have let him get his money's worth but I would be do e talking to him after he was tossed. I would have talked to him when he came back. He is gone, he is no longer my problem.


×
×
  • Create New...