Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 6289 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

LL rules say that a foul tip can't be a rebound unless it first hit the glove or hand. Does that mean that a sharply hit ball right back can go off the mitt and hit the mask and go back into mitt and be a foul tip? Asa does not make the same distinction I don't think

  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
LL rules say that a foul tip can't be a rebound unless it first hit the glove or hand. Does that mean that a sharply hit ball right back can go off the mitt and hit the mask and go back into mitt and be a foul tip? Asa does not make the same distinction I don't think
Yes, it is a foul tip. Rule 2.00 FOUL TIP: is a batted ball that goes sharp and direct from the bat to the catcher’s hands and is legally caught. It is not a foul tip unless caught and any foul tip that is caught is a strike, and the ball is in play. It is not a catch if it is a rebound, unless the ball has first touched the catcher’s glove or hand.
Posted

Yes it does mean that. Once it hits him in the glove or hand it can do anything and be caught before touching the ground. This includes bouncing off face mask or chest. So long as it was hit sharply and directly like any other foul tip.

Posted

Can anyone tell me if its the same in ASA softball (the foul tip definition does not talk about a rebound at all there as far as I can see)...also, any other rule sets (FED baseball and softball)...thanks

Posted

Can anyone tell me if its the same in ASA softball (the foul tip definition does not talk about a rebound at all there as far as I can see)...also, any other rule sets (FED baseball and softball)...thanks

FED (baseball & softball), ASA and OBR all say the same thing with the exception of the rebound comment in OBR. The key to the rebound question is hitting the glove/hand first and then legally caught.

If it hits the glove first and is legally caught it is a foul tip. Ask yourself, if a batted ball bounces off a players chest and then he gains possession, is it legally caught? If yes, then if it happens to the catcher, it is a foul tip (other criteria met).

Posted

Larry....I want to be sure I understand. ASA (and the others I guess) just say "sharply and directly to the cathers glove" or something close to that, right? What is it in that rule that says that it can rebound off of something and then be caught? I'm not being argumentative, im just wondering. If I wasnt aware of the OBR rule (and LL right?) I dont know that i would think that a ball rebounded and caught would be a caught foul tip based on the asa wording. am i missing something?

Posted
Larry....I want to be sure I understand. ASA (and the others I guess) just say "sharply and directly to the cathers glove" or something close to that, right? What is it in that rule that says that it can rebound off of something and then be caught? I'm not being argumentative, im just wondering. If I wasnt aware of the OBR rule (and LL right?) I dont know that i would think that a ball rebounded and caught would be a caught foul tip based on the asa wording. am i missing something?
In any rules set, it is a foul tip as long as it first touches the hand or glove, and is caught before it touches the ground. They key is that it touches the hand or glove before touching anything else. If it touches anything else before the hand or glove, it is an ordinary foul.
Posted

If it touches his glove or hand first then is caught it is a catch. If it hits his body first then it isn't. This is different than a field catch in that it can hit any part of the body and be caught.

Posted

Larry....I want to be sure I understand. ASA (and the others I guess) just say "sharply and directly to the cathers glove" or something close to that, right? What is it in that rule that says that it can rebound off of something and then be caught? I'm not being argumentative, im just wondering. If I wasnt aware of the OBR rule (and LL right?) I dont know that i would think that a ball rebounded and caught would be a caught foul tip based on the asa wording. am i missing something?

"...and is legally caught..."

Posted (edited)

FED case book example (summerized):

R2 is on the move, B1 at bat attempts to bunt, the ball goes directly into F2 mitt. It then rebounds out towards F1 ,who is charging, catches the rebound on the fly.

*This is a Foul Tip, runner may advance since ball was caught by F1 and is still alive.

Edited by kwiggie
wording
Posted

in the little league rule book it specifically says that a foul tip must be caught by the catcher

Posted

FED case book example (summerized):

The rule is the same in the spring and the fall. It's probably the same in the winter, too, but we don't play baseball in the winter around here.


×
×
  • Create New...