Jump to content

NWA_UMP

Established Member
  • Posts

    637
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    4

Everything posted by NWA_UMP

  1. Holy crap! That is one awesome looking CP. It looks to be very low profile, solid and well thought out. I don't see any gap issues that would cause an ump to take a nasty shot. It sounds like in the description that it sits away from your chest slightly to allow for air flow...maybe I read incorrectly. This is going to be a serious player in the umpire gear market. Any idea on cost yet?
  2. yawetag- I will submit that we are both trying to do the "right thing". I understand and totally appreciate your point on this issue. I have voiced the same concern to our leadership. Anyone who takes umpiring seriously has to have safety as a top priority. At the end of the day we are trying to ensure that we have a fair, safe and a well administered game. As big as they may be in high school...they are still kids. As a parent, I will attest that kids don't always do the safe or right thing. That's when we have to step in...if I see a damaged helmet, I throw it out of the game and I have a conversation with the coach...pronto! I will remind him of our pregame conversation and leave no doubt in his mind that he will go home if I see another piece of illegal or damaged equipment. He can bark all he wants, but I will remind him that safety is first and if he doesn't care about it...I do.
  3. This logic doesn't make sense at all. How about your organization keep balks as live balls? Then, when the Fed eventually changes it, you can use the same line. Your organization not agreeing with the rule isn't a reason for them to not do it. My organization (and most in the state) doesn't agree with some of the uniform rules the state has; however, we're instructed to follow the rules, as disregarding them looks less professional than actually fighting to have them changed. There's no real answer, other than to defend myself. As evidence of my character, I'll show that there have been times I've removed bats and helmets from the game (possibly from the game in question). However, imagine the same happened in YOUR game. This is close to the transcript that would occur: Lawyer: Did you check the equipment? You: No, I didn't. Lawyer: Do you recognize this (shows a copy of the rule book that was in effect the year of the incident)? You: Yes, that's a Fed rule book. Lawyer: Could you read the highlighted passage, please (flips to the page that details the bat and helmet check)? You: (reads the passage) Lawyer: So, you didn't check the equipment as detailed in the rule book? Good luck after that point. I'm happy the equipment check is gone. I felt it was a waste of time and it opened up a liability door on the umpires that should be squarely on the coach and school. However, I never ignored it, even when my partner tried to talk me out of it. Lawyer: I understand from you previous testimony, as an umpire, you did not enter the dugout to check equipment, correct? Me: That is correct sir. Lawyer: How did you verify the equipment used was legal? Me: At the plate conference, in from of my partner and the opposing Head Coach, I asked if his team was properly and legally equipped by NFHS rules and regulations. Lawyer: What was his reply? Me: Yes they are. Lawyer: How is the coach going to know if his team is is equipped properly? Me: They are given the same rule book that I am. They are also required to attend NFHS meetings that cover equipment, rules and all current points of emphasis. Lawyer: Thank you for your time...
  4. There you go, I corrected your post. A lawyer can argue anything they think will make money for them & their client. If the rules book says one thing and you do something different, that is more negligient than if someone tricks you by hiding equipment. Of course, we are having this discussion after the fact that those of us that follow all the rules no longer have to deal with this. Larry...Thanks for the correction..I knew it was coming. Just a matter of time. I understand the equipment check issue...the "spirit" of the rule is to ensure safety of all players, coaches, fans and umpires. Our association feels it is adhering to that "spirit". All, and I do mean ALL of the teams that we are contracted to assign umpires for are aware that we have that policy. It is sent to the Athletic Directors, signed and returned to us...or we don't set foot on their field. This is not something that we just decided to start doing...this policy evolved over time with input from our lawyer and the AD's. I am glad to know that I work for the only group that doesn't follow the rules...maybe that explains why we are the reda$$e$ that won't let the teams have gear on the fence outside the dugout on the home plate side...
  5. yawetag... We didn't inspect equipment in playoffs either. As someone stated...lawyers can argue either side of this issue. I, however, think the move by FED to stop umpires from checking equipment tells me we were doing the right thing in not entering the dugout to check equipment. The one point I will make is in our association we take the rules seriously and we apply them...all except equipment checks My question is...how does your association propose to handle a situation where equipment is withheld from inspection and finds its way onto the field? What happens if a kid is hurt by said equipment? Who takes the blame? I know there are lawyers out there that would argue it's your duty to to check everything,since your looking anyway, knowing a kid might try to hide illegal equipment...just like the wet floor sign and someone falls on the wet floor...who pays? A lawyer can argue the sign was moved, is a trip hazard, goes against common sense..etc. When a kid gets hurt..I mean HURT with lasting physical damage someone WILL PAY.
  6. Yep, those are the ones and they're actually cheaper on Honigs too. What...Honigs is cheaper you say???? :wow:
  7. Your association is instructing you to blatantly ignore a written rule in the rule book of the game you're officiating? That is how we handle the issue...so, YES they are telling us not to go into the dugout to inspect gear before games... I understand from a legal point why they tell us not to. One of our former board members, 2-3 years ago, who is a very well respected lawyer in our neck of the woods, recommended the policy. He said to put it 100% on the shoulders of the coaches and game administration. Ask the question...get the answer and move on. Everyone has heard about kids, coaches, etc., getting hit with batted balls while on a bucket. How many times has the parent/guardian gone after the school, coach, State association and finally the umpires because of this "preventable accident". I am not looking to get sued because I missed one bat or helmet that was not to spec...I don't think it is provable, unless you mark the bats/helmets at the time of inspection, that you were not remiss in your duties. If equipment was hidden/not presented/brought in after the fact..etc. how can you hold the umpire responsible? That will be the situation in a court of law...he didn't inspect the one item in question...therefore he is liable for the damage. Doesn't matter the kid/coach/parent knew the equipment was unsafe...I didn't catch it, so it falls to me.
  8. Just purchased the Crossbow 3LS Kit, you recommended. I needed a new pair of shades and I like the fact that they were basically 3 glasses for 1 pair. I'm working a majors LL state game Friday and I hope they arrive before Friday so I can try them out. Let me know how they work out for ya'. I'm in the market for new shades now...
  9. You are correct about getting used to the fit and the vision. Also my mouth is partially covered by my mask as well. If I'm correct with the style of your mask it has wrap around pads...they will cover your mouth up-to your bottom lip and cheeks. Notice the umpire pictured...only his top lip and teeth are visable. I have adjusted my pads on my frame by changing the velcro and placement of velcro to help "pull" the pads to a more comfortable position...
  10. You should look something like this... If you don't...try again! As stated already...NEVER Backwards...
  11. I keep hearing guys say..."if you think that is hot, don't come____to work 'cause it's __degrees here" Heat is a relative issue. If you are accustomed to working in 90-95 degrees on a regular basis...96-98 may not be a huge issue. If you are accustomed to working in 90-93 then the 96-98 may be an issue. I have seen guys go down in 85 degree weather early in the season...especially if it's real humid...they have not adapted to working at that temp. Almost no matter where you are in July and August..it's hot...for your area. Bottom line is take care of yourself. The majority of guys go down because of a combination of things: out of shape Poor hydration poor overall health medications etc... If you know your going to be in the heat on the weekend...don't wait to get used to the heat on Saturday. Take Monday-Friday and get outside and adapt to the conditions...go for a walk in the late afternoon, lunch time or when you get home from work. Lay off the coffee, sodas, beer/alchohol...start drinking water on Wednesday and write it down, how much and when...you might be surprised at how little you drink thru the course of the day/week. While on the field don't wait to drink until you get thirsty...too late, sip water every half inning..or better yet, set a hydration plan before you hit the pads or the stick...I will drink __ bottles of water during this game...take that many with you + 1 more to be safe. When you finish the game...make sure your water is gone. I worked a tourney last weekend...while on the pads I set my goal as 8-20oz bottles of water and 2 sports drinks for a 7 inning no time limit game. That's a lot of water...I knew I needed it because I was just coming off my stick assignment...I had to rebuild my hydration level not only for that day but for the next. I walked off the field with half a bottle of water in my cooler. You have to plan your work and work your plan...
  12. I hope this is sarcasm. Sorta. If they're semi-ligit requests, grant them. But if a guy is asking over and over, when the batter doesn't even twitch, just because he wants to be a jackball about a call three innings ago, get rid of him. That's what I meant. Kyle- I would absolutely love to work a double header with you! I have a feeling it would be a moment that would last in my memory banks until I die! I'm sure I would not only have a good time...but learn a little along the way as well... :nod:
  13. Noumpere...non taken. I remember NWA...the group...not my cup of tea we'll say. I didn't mean to get snippy with you. Long week at the office and it just hit me wrong. The theory/strategy in this thread just turned on a light for me. I usually keep a good angle and distance on my calls from "B" when turning 2. I have had a couple that I called out and had to replay in my head a couple of times to make sure I got the call correct. I even had to dump a coach over one...later talked to one of our UIC's that was watching the game and indicated that I got it right...but his angle was not the best. At my age I am looking for anything that Will help me improve every time I hit the field. I started this gig too late in life(40) to go too far with it. The best I can hope for is to make DII...I'm OK with that. Same situation in football. My kids have gotten to an age where I can call more stuff and not feel like I'm missing a bunch of stuff. I'll try out my new found strategy this weekend and we'll see how it goes...
  14. I purchased Mizunos for football for this season. My UA wear starting to hurt my feet so I have worked some games in them to start breaking them in... Love 'em http://www.mizunousa.com/baseball/products/mizuno-infinity-training-shoes
  15. Noumpere - thanks for the constructive critique. You may think that mechanic is incorrect. It may also depend on the level of ball one is calling. If you are working 9-12's it may be the prefered method to do it...you know most of those guys have hoses for arms and really pop the mitt. I started working on that level and have moved steadily up to the highest high class in the state for high school...even selected to work the state tourney. I have been asked to "tryout" during a tourney later this summer for a chance to join a new association that schedules juco and DII ball. That does not mean I will be assigned those games, but it opens the door. This thread will help me in this opportunity. NWA maybe a rap group...but it's the area I live in...northwest Arkansas.
  16. In our association we are TOLD NOT to go into the dugout...PERIOD. We don't check equipment in pre-game. We ask the coaches at the plate conference...Are your players properly and legally equipped? Is all of your equipment to NFHS specifications? They had better answer yes...or we don't play. If a player gets hurt due to a cracked helmet...not our fault...coaches fault. If an illegal bat is used...not our fault...coaches fault. We take the stance that if something is damaged and we miss it during our check we don't want to be held liable for any damage or harm. It is too easy to miss something...kid keeps his favorite helmet/bat in his bag and brings it out after the check...not my fault
  17. Bingo!! And to add .... always think LESS about things ........for instance, ..... you're looking for an out as an umpire right? So you're listening for KA_BOOM ...or KA_THUD ....anything else is safe .........for the most part .... To be honest .....I just now this season finally started doing this ( I know, I know....) ...but WOW....the light went on and the Ahh-Hahh moment happened ....it's SOOO much easier to make calls like this..... I have picked up little tips here and there on this site...many have helped me improve my game tremendously over last two seasons. However, I think this single thread of advice may help me equal everything I have done over the same time period. I think the toughest call to make is in the two man system is when the defense is turning the double play. The relay to 1st with a banger there is probably the hardest call to make. You are in "B" focused on the touch at 2 and then to track the ball to F3 with no visual reference of the runner heading down the line to-wards you makes that call a "train wreck" at times. Your angle is usually not the best due to your positioning in "B", throws tend to be to the wide side of first, F is stretching for the throw and the batter/runner is in full sprint down the line. I have had this season at least two calls that I called out just because I was not convinced they were safe. I have replayed those plays over and over. I am a ball tracker from throw to mit and listen for the sound of the foot hitting bag. But at times when turning two your distance is such that the foot strike is not as loud as the coach is yelling, the sound that a runner makes when hustling down the line and general crowd noise...the foot strike can get "lost". I have a feeling that single piece of advice will make that play a bit easier...not to mention just a flat out banger in general.
  18. It's always the fine print that get's ya' :nod:
  19. I would agree with Semper on this one... no call till the play is over...UNLESS you verbalize "no tag" with the safe mechanic on the original attempt at the put out or each such attempt...I can see dumping a coach if you don't verbalize.
  20. Mine did the same thing...glad they are taking care of your freinds...didn't return my calls or emails with photos....
  21. I did not take the paint off all the way to the metal...just roughed it up enough to get a top coat to stick...mine has peeled most around the bends caused by shots to the mask. It has been bent several times by baseballs to the mask..small cracks in the paint that seems to have allowed moisture under the finish that has then corroded. I will repaint every year if needed...love the weight and protection this mask offers! The only change for next year will be Team Wendy pads and a new paint job!
  22. did you wear it properly? Yeap...compression shorts..NB and a jock over the top...hate it!
  23. Mine did the same thing...I contacted the company and they never got back to me...I sanded and repainted with Hi-temp paint this spring...it's coming off again...
  24. Purchased and used about 5 times to get a feel for it...hate it! It cuts into my legs and won't stay down. I have been most pleased with my XO cup and McDavid compression shorts. Cup stays put....
  25. $30 for a shirt that I might wear one or two times a year...nope, don't think so. I would rather OC would just keep basic items in stock instead of re-inventing the wheel...
×
×
  • Create New...