Jump to content

philaump

Members
  • Posts

    83
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by philaump

  1. The run scores. Since the second out was made at 2nd base, the third out becomes a time play
  2. There are plenty of other assignors that I get games from- so I will take games from them.
  3. Had my rules interp meeting last night. Granted there were no new rules, due to the 2020 season being cancelled. That being said, a question has come up regarding the new DH rule. Question on the new DH rule: Assume Smith is batting leadoff and playing 1B. Jones bats second, and is listed on lineup card as P/DH. In 3d inning, Doe replaces Jones as P. I understand at that point that Jones remains in offensive lineup as DH, and Doe is simply in the defensive lineup as the P, but is not batting. No problem so far. Then in 5th inning Jones goes back into the game on defense playing 1B and is still listed as the DH. That's where I have the problem. According to the 2020 NFHS Casebook, on page 26, "3.1.4 Situation F(c)" this is legal, but the casebook does not say what happens to either Smith or Doe. I assume Smith, the former 1B, is now out of the game completely, which leaves the leadoff spot in the order vacant. Meanwhile, what happens to Doe, the pitcher who came in in the 3d inning, and for whom Jones was the DH. Does Doe now have to bat in the leadoff spot in order to remain in the game? If so, then Jones isn't really DHing for anyone any more, is he? Or does Doe have to come out of the game and a new pitcher enter, who bats leadoff? Or is there some other solution? Sorry for being so dense. I have no trouble interpreting complex contracts, but the DH wasn't something we covered in law school (maybe because it didn't exist when I graduated). Thanks for any input. My questions are: 1. Isn't this an illegal substitution? 2. Isn't the DH eliminated since Doe and Jones are in the game at the same time?
  4. I am operating under the "don't ask, don't tell" mantra. If they don't ask, I keep quiet. I have asked about his health countless times, and asked for the money countless times over the last year and a half. When I asked about the money, I never would get an answer. Hence why I think I got stiffed. Going forward- if someone asks me to help assign, I will ask for half the money up front, and half at the end of the season.
  5. I know a lot of others will not umpire for the person, for THAT reason
  6. If newer umpires ask me my opinion of the person, I give them an honest answer, and why I feel that way. If nobody asks, I keep quiet
  7. The way LLWS is handled is another reason why I don't umpire LL. $2,000,000 a year TV contract with ESPN, $75,000,000 in revenue, $25,000,000 in assets (source: Forbes magazine), and they don't pay umpires to do regionals or WS games?! The exploitation of volunteerism just bugs me.
  8. This is a major reason WHY I stopped umpiring LL baseball years ago.
  9. I count the money when it hits my hand. If they pay by check, I make sure that it's filled out properly. The issue was I helped someone assign, and he never paid at all. Lesson learned, I don't umpire for the person at all.
  10. philaump

    Burn out

    I am in that same boat. I can only do night and weekend HS games due to my work schedule (I work until 430)
  11. I don't plan on umpiring for him ever again. Only reason why I am saying something, is that most of the leagues my way were cancelled last year
  12. Kid calling the other player a dick head should NOT have been ejected. I would have quietly told him to watch his language. Only language that warrants an ejection IMO is the use of George Carlin's 7 words
  13. If parents are going crazy, I go through the team's HC. Here's what I tell the coach who's parents are out of control- "Coach, you realize that your team's parents are your responsibility? If I have to come over here one more time- not only will they be ejected, YOU will be ejected as well"
  14. If there's a need to have ANY interaction with the team's parents, GO THROUGH THE TEAM'S HEAD COACH.
  15. Back in 2019 (most leagues cancelled their 2020 seasons due to COVID), I helped an umpire in need (health issues) assign the local Babe Ruth league. He agreed to pay me $100 for my time. Fast forward until now, and I still have not been paid. I seriously doubt I will be paid. I have blocked out dates until 2059, and there are other assignors that I work for. How would you handle this?
  16. Unless he asks for help on the play at first, save any discussion for after the games. If he asked for help, tell him what you have
  17. philaump

    Advice

    There aren't really any game management issues with HS ball out here. There are more issues in summer games or adult games here
  18. philaump

    Advice

    As far as games with time limits- I will have a watch for them
  19. philaump

    Advice

    I do keep my iPod (email access only) for my job
  20. philaump

    Advice

    My phone stays in my car
  21. philaump

    Advice

    It was after the game. He went back to the bus
  22. philaump

    Advice

    The fact of the matter is this- the state governing body took no action against me; citing the fact that I never used the guy's name, said no falsehoods. Plus the fact that they waited almost a year to file a complaint, hurt them. I have become aware he may have gotten a couple games, due to his conduct towards me. Looking back on it- I should not have replied to his comment after ejecting him.
  23. Maven- Giants fan? I'm a 25 year st holder
  24. philaump

    Advice

    My media post had nothing to do with the ejection, but if a school found a hoops coach
  25. philaump

    Advice

    Thanks. I did record his antagonizing as well. I sent it to my state governing body of hs sports
×
×
  • Create New...