Jump to content

theedeuce

Inactive
  • Posts

    70
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by theedeuce

  1. I grew up in Tampa Florida during the 70's. At that time, Tampa was the spring training camp for the Cinci Reds at the AL Lopez field. My Dad would take us there on occasions and we could sit just about anywhere. One game, Pete Rose and Ed Sprague stepped out and walked right towards me about to warm up and out of the blue Pete reached over and grabbed my ball and signed it and tossed it over the Ed Sprague and he signed it, gave it back to me and sprinted in the outfield to warm up. The coolest thing that ever happened to me as a young boy. I still have that ball today (some 35 years later). Because of that... Pete Rose has always be my all time favorite...
  2. This weekend starts the Little League 12-U (major) State Championship here in Toccoa Georgia. I was given the distinguished honor to call two games Saturday night and one on Sunday morning. We will be working 4 man crews (as all Little League State level tournaments do). This will be my second year in a row given this opportunity to call at this level... I am curious to know where some of you guys will be calling your state level tournaments or regional tournaments. Please advise.
  3. About your partner... My first concern is why he is not "certified" and calling bases all year. That one confuses me... Second concern is when you say 9/10 tournament are you talking about all-stars because most leagues have finished there regular season and are deep in there all-stars tournaments... which raises even more concern about your "non certified" partner. Needless to say... your partner has just called his last game (see ya, wouldn't want to be ya)... As far as tonight's game... let it go but... make sure both managers know that ALL judgment calls belong to you and your partner (fair, foul, safe, out, balls and strikes) and will not be discussed at any time... consider that your warning.
  4. Dawg-man hit it on the head. Appearance, professionalism and confidence is all you need. Dirty shoes, wrinkled shirts or pants ect., and ragged equipment is inexcusable. Getting your act together ahead of time makes for a good start out of the gates. Another point to bare in mind is your partner(s). Enter the field together (not separately) and have your partner(s) standing opposite of the plate during the meeting. We do Little League and just finished our district all-stars. We have State in a couple weeks in Toccoa Ga. Let us know how your games went and good luck with your tournament...
  5. Don't be a stranger to the gym. If you keep yourself put together and in good shape, most people wouldn't want to get physical with you in the first place. In all my 14 years of umpiring, I've only had one irritated dad follow me firing verbal shots as I was leaving the park. Just as I got to the gate where the parking lot began, I calmly but firmly stopped, turned to the gentleman and reminded him that when I walk outside this gate I am no longer an umpire. I'm pretty sure he got my message...
  6. theedeuce

    Sunglasses in LL?

    Early in our regular season this issue came up and one of my umpires made the young pitcher take his sunglasses off claiming he was violating a safety issue. When I approached my scheduled umpire about this (because of the complaints I received), his response was that every time the pitcher would deliver a pitch his sunglasses were either coming off his head or close to coming off. He felt they were presenting a distraction to the pitcher and had them removed. In this case, I would say... Good Call...
  7. UmpJM... Great pics.!! you guys even had the trash cans painted pink as well (or maybe thats just some bizarre coincidence)... It appears thats just what we will do... order some pink polo shirts and have them modified with numbers and embroidered association logo...
  8. Members, Our association was approached, along with other associations within our Little League district, of an up and coming event raising awareness of breast cancer. I'm trying to find some pink umpire shirts. Please forgive me if this topic has been discussed before but, "Does anyone know where I can find a few umpire shirts (pink) to purchase"? Please advise...
  9. Come on now... Lets get real here. I'm sure there's more to this story than what is being told. These had to be two bitter rivals with a history of getting out of hand... and then someone had to see this coming as soon as it got out of hand... Good story but a lot is left to ones imagination... (I'm just saying)...
  10. jjb... Are you talking recreation or travel ball. When I hear USSSA I generally associate that with travel ball. If your talking recreation then I can already assume it was a sloppy game. There is plenty of time for these 9 year olds to learn about leading off and stealing and it absolutely does not belong in recreation leagues. The primary focus at this age should be about pitching, hitting and fielding. Anything else adds confusion to these young minds and there are coaches out there that relish on opportunities that you originally described... and these coaches usually fade away as the kids get older.
  11. I got a couple of them too (moneygrubbers)... I rarely use them and when I do its only when I'm in a pinch (and I always pair them together). All they do is brag about how many games they called over the weekend. Whoopie doo... and when I assign them a rec. game during the week all I hear is a bunch of belly aching over how sloppy the talent is. Problem is; they are just as sloppy. What a perfect match... Blu32... you highlighted all the basics. There is one other key factor that I would add. Your moneygrubbers more then likely never played or coached the game on a competitive level and if they did they were forgettable.
  12. Stealing at 9 years old... Thats U-Trip for you and thats only one of many problems I have with U-trip... It gives room for these wanna-be but never could be coaches these brilliant ideas like sending his runner during the pitch timing just right where ball and runner arrives at the plate at the same time. The truth of this matter is the coach found some way to manipulate the game by taking advantage of some young minds. OBR rules for 9 year olds... lol... It's like teaching calculus before one can grasp algebra... Makes a lot of sense...
  13. theedeuce

    Forceful tags

    Hard tags happen on occasions around this area too. Usually it all starts from a bigger 1st baseman trying to make his point. He knows exactly what he is doing and a stern verbal warning to the 1st baseman will cure itself on the first hard tag but if not... Solution; Warn the manager leaving no wiggle room and if it continues then toss the first baseman. Don't put up with it or like MCLEOD36 says, look for the spike on subsequent plays... and it will happen...
  14. Without any doubt in my mind pitcher is gone... I can look at that replay all day and pitcher is still gone. That kind of crap don't belong and should it go unchecked you can have a real mess on your hands later in the game. Especially at that level.
  15. Welcome Frank. I live on the south metro side of Atlanta (Griffin Ga). I call Varsity baseball (GHSA) and am the UIC of our Little League Chapter in Griffin Georgia. Lots of baseball around here of all ages. I think you will enjoy this site. Lots of good stuff to keep your interest.
  16. ... and I would have a field day with a coach coming to me with that argument. I would agree that "I heard catchers interference" would not be the ideal verbiage when making this call. "I have catcher interference" would be more appropriate. Your eyes should be totally trained to track that white pearl. For a coach to argue that "I need to see the bat make contact" and "what else are you looking at"...... no sir... not a good argument at all.
  17. Welcome aboard Chris. I live about 40 miles south of ATL. Lots of ball in this area.
  18. Out of sight, out of sound is what I has always heard. Don't know the origins but sounds universal. Our league does not tolerate ejections regardless the case or cause. The ejected must immediatly restrict oneself within the convines of the parking lot and remain there for the remainder of the game. Parking lots are more than likely within sound and sight of the game so I'm not to abrasive on where the ejected must go provided one does not continue as an aggravating factor or threaten the safety of others.
  19. Don't like them at all. Travel Ball here in Georgia is very popular. Why, I don't know. I now call it DADDY BALL. Especially in the 12 or younger age groups. If your in it for just the money then travel ball will fit you well... CUMGETUSUM... We always got paid (cash) before we left. Our tournament director wouldn't schedule any games until he got his entry fee up front. Any no shows or forfeits was on the team that didn't show. Up until a few years ago I used to call a lot of travel ball tournaments. Now, I only call on 90' diamonds. Seems to be less hollering at the kids and more quality baseball.
  20. Can a manager be charged with a visit to the mound in between innings? I had a game last weekend where my partner took an issue with a manager in between innings. Manager coaching 3rd walks across the diamond heading to the first base dugout after the last out was made to end the inning. I was on the bases and wasn't paying too close attention to what exactly transpired but apparently the manager had a brief conversation with his pitcher as he continued his walk towards the first base dugout. Uh-o... I could tell the verbal exchange between pitcher/manager didn't set very well with my partner (who was the plate umpire) and casually walks over and stops the manager charging him with a visit to the mound.
  21. Stay out of it... Unless any rules are not in question or a run may or may not have been recorded on the timing of the 3rd out. It's not an arguement I want to get involved with...
  22. LMSANS, thats what I was thinking. No penalty. Maybe stern warning at the worst. PU really called a good game but he gave us all one of those "where did that call come from" moments?
  23. My son was pitching in his JV game last week. Runner on 1st and 3rd with 2 out when Plate ump all of a sudden cries "THATS A BALK". :WTFThe apparent violation occured when my son was straddling the rubber while checking the runners. My son looks around with his hands out :shrug:saying "I'm not even on the rubber yet". PU immediatly responds saying "thats why I called a balk. You took your sign from the catcher while not on the rubber". Of course the manager came out to challenge the call but to no avail was the PU budging. Obviously, the PU had this arguement before. My question is "how is taking a sign from the catcher (or anyone for that matter) before toeing the rubber considered a balk"? Would someone please advise... Personally, I think thats a long reach to call a balk when there is no obvious attempt to decieve the runners (which is the sole purpose to call balks in the first place). The PU called a good game by the way...
  24. Okay, so what I'm reading from this thread is once the BU (in the "A" position) turns his back and commits to the catch/no catch call, the UIC (by default) picks up the runner all the way to 3rd (including the touch at 2nd). The BU will anticipate a play at the plate and in "foul territory" break into a full tilt sprint to the plate. Yes, I have to agree that communication is paramount with this play and one better know how to read his partner... I stand corrected... Thanks for your input...
  25. BrianC14... Your quote "If Base Umpire does go out (should only go out on a trouble ball hit to R/C gap and toward the RF foul line) then UIC has runner all the way to 3B, and Base Umpire will make his catch/no catch call, then high tail it (in foul territory) to home plate." I got that part but not sure if I follow... Assuming BU is in the A position, he should only run out on a short leash to take the catch/no catch call should it appear to be in question. The PU should instinctively take the touch at 1st and only 1st once he notices the BU turning out. Should the ball fall into the gap (no catch) there should be no reason why the BU cannot simply turn and cut towards the center of the diamond picking up the runners touch at 2nd. The BU has to do some hustling but the key is the BU staying on a short leash using a 2 man crew. In my view, the PU has no reason to cover the last runner to 3rd, otherwise; he can potentially create a bigger problem should there be a pass ball at 3rd and the BR breaks for home... now the PU is caught in a crossfire...
×
×
  • Create New...