jackets/pullovers

constable
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5455 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

My assosciation deals with Honigs. I'm looking for a jacket... preferably black but I'll take Navy.

Honig's in Canada is selling them for 92.... +Pos is selling them for 50. Even with the change and shipping it will most likely be cheaper.

Can anyone compare the jackets for me?

http://www.honigs-canada.com/detail.asp?Cat=2&Sub=42&Item=353

http://pluspos.com/Web/productdetail.aspx?ProductID=51

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have both.

I HATE the +POS. The elastic on the bottom broke the first time I wore it. The underarms also ripped the first time I put my hands up over my head to call time. It was/is a large and looks big on me but it still ripped as I had to tuck it in since the elastic broke. It looks wrinkled all the time and the fabric has a sort of shiny sheen/appearance. I got the +POS in 2006 before all the problems but I never got a reply about how to return it. I just decided to vote with my wallet and not buy another one.

The Honig's is nice but attracts lint. I have four of the Honig's brand. Two with elastic bottom and no pocket-navy with powder/white and black with white. I also have the black with white and navy with red/white in the tuck in model with a chest pocket.

Other than the lint issue they are nice. I treat them with 3M Scotch-Gard waterproofing sprayafter each washing which is about twice a season and I carry a tape style lint brush in my bag for touch ups before wearing.

I only wear the Honig's jackets on the plate when very wet and possible mud coating otherwise I wear a plate coat when cool enough.

I have seen the Smitty brand jackets this spring for the first time and they are impressive to me. Don't know about the sturdiness but the fabric seems nice. I think they are cheaper than Honig's too.

I have the +POS brands. I ahve not experienced any of the issues Majordave did. I have never had a honigs jacket, but have compared it to the smitty brand and I prefer the +POS.

I have the Navy with red and white stripes, black with white stripes and the navy with columbia blue stripes. All have given me great service.

A new +POS website is now back up and running. Dan is selling jackets on ebay as well and I was able to get some good replacements.

Just got an email from Officials Choice that they have the jackets on sale for $29.50....I have some of their shirts, but know nothing about thier jackets.....maybe someone can provide some insight.....

I can echo Dave's problems with the POS jackets and the Honig's jackets. I also had to resew around the arms several times when they ripped. I will say that mine waited until the 2nd time that I wore it before it ripped the first time. and it was always around the rear shoulder area and underarm area.

I will add that the navy blue is darker on the Honig's jacket and just looks sharper. I have the regular bottoms, not the elastic, so I can tuck the jacket inside my pants when in use. They also run a size large and, up until this year when I (ahemmm) "grew" a little bit, I actually weighed 225 and wore a size Large Honigs coat over my CP. I have now upsized to the Honig's XL while tipping the scales at a lean , mean, fighting machine, 240 and it still fits comfortable over my POS BB2000 gladiator protector. I still wear the L while on the bases and it feels roomy. But they do attract lint pretty bad.

Just a question about the POS site. Is Dan just back temporarily selling off what's left, or is he attempting a comback ?

Edited by blindumpire99

Just a question about the POS site. Is Dan just back temporarily selling off what's left, or is he attempting a comback ?

it seems a bit of both.....some of the stock seems to be NOS...but on another site is being advised that the jackets and plate brushes are new , but of the same pattern...we will have to wait and see....

I have been a big supporter of +POS gear over the years, and found all of the stuff to be good....I did check the linings of my jackets just to validate our concerns here....both navys seem to have seam issues, right about where "holster wear" would show....

Isn't +POS actually out of business? Notice that you can't get any gear from the website.

I use to buy stuff from them many years ago, from Honigs.

Research showed that they went belly up.

I think the stuff on the web is old merch.

I used a Majestic one I bought from ump-attire.com last year, but realized it was a little big for me.. So I purchased the same new mlb style in the red-white-blue with the MBUA logo on it, it's a great jacket.. Not something to wear behind the plate as it has an elastic on the waste, but I plan to get a plate coat next year.

Nate

You can tuck the elastic bottoms in, it's just a little tougher.

I used my jacket tonight, and I tucked it in. It worked really well with the WV Gold. Thanks Taylor. :)

you forgot to mention that the gold with the jacket looks good too.

It does look awesome, someone complimented me on it last night, and she asked how much it was.. I was reluctant to answer, but I said quietly: "about 5 times as much as I'm getting paid for this game." lol

I have a majestic navy that has the open bottom for when I work the plate, but this year I bought long sleeve shirts in black and navy that I prefer much more on the plate. If you haven't tried a LS I highly recommend it. They are much more comfortable, and with an Under Armour cold gear shirt under it, you don't get cold at all. Up next on my wish list for the HS season next year is a plate coat. Hopefully I'll have one for next year, but I want to bust off a few pounds before I make the investment.

It does look awesome, someone complimented me on it last night, and she asked how much it was.. I was reluctant to answer, but I said quietly: "about 5 times as much as I'm getting paid for this game." lol

I did the jacket and gold cp for the first time in almost 6 years last night. I forgot how good it looks (but it has to be the ones with the shoulder piping... otherwise it doesnt look as good)

(NOTE: still want a plate coat though..!)

I did the jacket and gold cp for the first time in almost 6 years last night. I forgot how good it looks (but it has to be the ones with the shoulder piping... otherwise it doesnt look as good)

(NOTE: still want a plate coat though..!)

Yeah. When I had the Platinum, I was like "crap I need to get another CP this looks horrible." Now with the gold I can wear that with a plate coat!

:smachhead: