Ouch!!! Line drive up middle

csabo17
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2185 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So after having to take a week off and walking on a cane, my leg finally bruised. 

I took a line drive in b. Lucky for me i was just fast enough to flinch and turn my leg. If not, it would of shattered my knee or shin.  

IMG_0108.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

Edited by csabo17
added pics

I dunno, I was in C (early in career, drifted in some too far) and saw ball hit bat, dropped back hit the dirt. I felt the ball going over me. If I'd done anything else, I would've worn it in the chest/high stomach. I didn't have time to think or react.

I took a line drive on the shin in slow pitch, which wouldn't have been bad except it was a power league player playing down. Honestly, I had no business on that field, way above my pay grade. Doc said had I not turned my leg a quarter of an inch I would have shattered my shin. That sucker still has a bump there two years later. The worst part, once the bruise set, the itching started. I had no idea bruises could itch worse than poison ivy. Oh wait, taking a baseball on my shin guard right over it a week later might have really been the worst part but that's debatable.

I feel your pain brother. Feel better soon.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Slow pitch or not, it hurts. I took one pitching off the side of my shin. 6 months later, I was at the Dr for something else and he touched that spot and it was still bruised, swollen and sore.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

Drop step and open the gate.  You'll not get hit again.

Did you read the post? I had time to flinch. Drop step, thats funny. Im the fastest white guy to come out of my college. Im not slow by any means. If i had time to drop step i would of had time to avoid the ball. 

The wife gave me exactly 0% symphony!

Shes preggers though. I guess she thinks her pain is worse? 

Umm, I think I might be able to give you a definitive answer to this question. The leg, definitely the leg.

(let me know if she buys that)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I took one in the same scenario a year ago.  Unfortunately mine was closer to the shin.  Last inning of s a 14u travel ball game.  Swelled up the size of softball.  Ball sliced and I turned the wrong way.  Thirty minutes later on the dish for the 2nd game.  I agree with those who say the F3 shins are by far the most they have ever worn, but not that day!  Two days later the blood from the bruise had drained all the way to the arch of my foot.  Ended up getting x-rays and an ultra sound, checking for blood clots.  Nine month later the knot was still visible.  Umpiring has been my retirement "job" for several years.  After showing my wife my boo-boo she hinted that Wal-Mart is always looking for greeters.

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

Doing an U18 game last year. I was in C, RHB hits a screamer right at me about a foot off the ground I leaped into the air and landed on my back. Ball never touched me F6 played the ball and threw to F3 who promptly dropped it. I gave the safe signal while still on my back. Everyone got a great laugh out of that one.

I had an 80mph arm on the hill and a 70mph bean bag behind the plate when I took an untouched pitch to the inner right thigh while in the slot on a LHB.  By the time I got home, the impact area looked liked a shark had attacked me. 

SWMBO brooked no excuse.  

20 hours ago, Cav said:

I had an 80mph arm on the hill and a 70mph bean bag behind the plate when I took an untouched pitch to the inner right thigh while in the slot on a LHB.  By the time I got home, the impact area looked liked a shark had attacked me. 

SWMBO brooked no excuse.  

Funny... I had the same exact thing last September. But mine was to my forearm just above the wrist.

The non caring by my "better half" was palpable.