CREW HOW-TO: Properly AttachYour Umpire Throat Guard

JimKirk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2555 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

@Scott Kennedy is dead-on correct. You'll note, though, that he unintentionally brings up a poignant topic regarding masks, their makers, and accessories.

While Scott is absolutely correct in his advice, a company like Diamond operates counter to that advice. Their masks have a chisel-point, squared chin guard; their throat guards all have one broad center strap. With how one normally attaches mask pads, there is no way to attach one of their throat guards in the ideal location! So where is it that Diamond wants it attached? To the bottom on the chin guard! Wrong spot!

Why do Wilson masks have such a jutting rake forward on their chin guards? Because they sell throat guards, and want them attached in the proper, advised spot (as Scott demonstrates). Why do Easton masks have such a relatively tiny chin guard? Because they, too, sell throat guards. Why do Nike masks have little-to-no rake on their chin guards?

... because Jorge Posada didn't like a dangling throat guard hanging in his face when he propped his mask atop his head! Nike doesn't sell throat guards.

Companies that really think this through, like Mizuno, not only offer some really unique and nifty-looking throat guards, but also sell masks bereft of chin guards altogether. In Diamond's defense, they pad the back side of their center-mounted chin guards. 

17 hours ago, Scott Kennedy said:

CREW HOW-TO: Properly AttachYour Umpire Throat Guard

View the full article

I hope you guys post this on facebook too ...............SO MANY arguments when you tell them to place their TG in the proper place! Maybe this will help them see the light!

Thanks -I have also seen guys wearing them on the outside and by hooking it on the same bars that Scott did. That does not do any good as well, it seems way to far away. I would also think that it would blow the mask off if it gets hit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

I hope you guys post this on facebook too ...............SO MANY arguments when you tell them to place their TG in the proper place! Maybe this will help them see the light!

Impossible. You've heard of "Liquid Courage"? Facebook has its own version of false courage and bravado. You could present an (otherwise) undisputed fact on Facebook, and you'll still have someone post something trying to refute it, just to get noticed or stir up an argument. 

• Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:17 AM, MadMax said:

Impossible. You've heard of "Liquid Courage"? Facebook has its own version of false courage and bravado. You could present an (otherwise) undisputed fact on Facebook, and you'll still have someone post something trying to refute it, just to get noticed or stir up an argument. 

I disagree!  

Had to.....:sarcasm:

16 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

I disagree!  

Had to.....:sarcasm:

AA, we should go into partnership and create a social-network website for the sole purpose of sparking, fostering and showcasing "spirited debates".

Name it "Assbook". Facebook is for those putting their face out there for all to see... Our site would certainly be for those that put their ... opinions out there for folks to see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MadMax said:

AA, we should go into partnership and create a social-network website for the sole purpose of sparking, fostering and showcasing "spirited debates".

Name it "Assbook". Facebook is for those putting their face out there for all to see... Our site would certainly be for those that put their ... opinions out there for folks to see.

I'm sorry to say Facebook beat you to it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MadMax said:

I can see the conglomerate flourishing already.  We could expand into other forms of social media as wise@ass chat, or InstaSarcasm, ....  better yet, the MM from @MadMax and the AA from Mine, how about  "MAMAsaidso"!?!?

Image result for sarcasm, I sprinkle that on everything

We could make BAZILLIONS!

• Like 1