Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5616 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I had a JV game last Friday that featured 1 team that would have a hard time passing for middle school team at most schools let alone JV and the other that comes from a school so deep in talent that half the JV team should be on Varsity. It was a very lopsided game (the final was 25-1 ish) that took forever (my longest 7 inning game ever 3 hours 15 minutes) but i dont think myself, my partner, or any of the coaches stopped laughing about the plays that we witnessed on the field. For instance i had 1 inning end on a triple play ON AN INFIELD FLY! We had a runner tagged out after tagging up and gong to 3rd when the 3rd baseman told him he had to go back! No outs F1 trys picking off R1 with no one else on base, the ball gets by F3 by only 10 feet or so and R1 goes for 2nd, because F2 is screaming THROW IT F3 picks it up and throws it HOME! It was so bad at 1 point i had a batter coming to the pate and ask me what his count was :shakehead:! There was alot of just really bad and strange things that happened on both sides. What made it good was that not one single player for either team stopped trying and all the coaches were laughing right along with me and my partner (though we did make it very discreet, ALOT of coughing and clearing the throat).

It was one of those games that made me think my god why am i here 1 second and the next think my god do i love this game!

  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

We had a runner tagged out after tagging up and gong to 3rd when the 3rd baseman told him he had to go back!

I'd love to hear the full story on this. What happened and how was it called by you and your partner?

Posted

Yawetag: Batter hit a very deep ball to F9 with runner on 2nd (best hit ball of the day by the team). F9 made a great running catch going toward the line allowing the runner enough time to move to third. F9 threw the ball in to F5 behind the runner while the runner was looking at the base coach so he never saw the ball come in. Since F5 still had the ball myself (PU) and my partner were still watching the play. F5 looks at the runner and (according to my partner i couldn't hear it) and said "see how the umps are looking at you? they are waiting for you too go back to second" without hesitation the runner took 2 steps off the bag and F5 tagged him :shakehead: . It was better than seeing the hidden ball trick!

Posted

I've got verbal OBS, and I don't usually find a good time to use it.

If I heard it, I'm calling time, R2's staying on 3B, and F5's being warned.

Fed Case Book:

2.22.1 SITUATION A: R1 attempts to steal second. F2, upon receiving the pitch, throws a pop-up to F6. F5 yells “get back, get back.†R1 thinks B2 has hit a popup and starts back to first where he is tagged out. RULING: This is verbal obstruction and R1 shall be awarded second base.

Posted

I've got verbal OBS, and I don't usually find a good time to use it.

If I heard it, I'm calling time, R2's staying on 3B, and F5's being warned.

+1

And I think I'd make sure my warning to F5 would be strong enough to get the coach out, so I could also tell HIM how piss-weak I think that is.

I know there's no crying in baseball, and I'm generally old-school about stuff, but if Fed is supposed to be about making good citizens as well as playing the games, then that's just a horseSH*# play by F5. Not to mention it's just terrible sportsmanship, further bludgeoning a team that never had a chance to start with.

Luckily the other team was too hapless, or I'd have thought the first batter in the next half-inning would have gotten one in the earhole.


×
×
  • Create New...