Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5621 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm sure all of you have called games where the head coach is the only adult responsible for the team. There are no assistants, so a helmeted player goes to coach first base when the team is on offense. This could happen in youth ball or freshman HS ball.

Well, if you eject a coach in this situation, isn't it an automatic forfeit because you don't have another responsible adult present? Has anyone had this happen?

Posted

I haven't had this but I have ejected a coach who refused to leave. So, my partner and I left when I was much younger (about 10 years ago). Now, I would just tell the players to come off the field until he leaves or time runs out.

As for your situation, I would just call the game suspended and let the league deal with it. If they forfeit it, OK. If they want to pick it up from there and let someone else stand in, OK. Their choice. I would not declare it a forfeit since you don't know how the league may handle it. But, I believe many (if not most) youth leagues require an adult to be present for responsibility issues. Many umpires will let any adult who agrees to responsibility to stand in just to complete the game then.

No matter what, don't declare forfeit. Declare game suspended.

Posted

This is possible place to use the restriction rule. I never have but it is possibility.

An umpire should never call a forfeit. "Restriction" could be used here with perhaps a further warning that if he's ejected, he risks a forfeit.

When there are no more coaches, a parent or friend of the team could come down to cover the adult supervision part and some leagues even have that written into their bylaws as to the result of all coaches getting tossed. If it gets left up to me, I'd ask a parent to come down, and let the league or association decide later what penalty to impose if any. If worse comes to worse, it's a suspension of play. I've heard of umpires calling forfeits and getting overruled later...

Posted

For a high school game, consult your state for their interpretation. In Missouri, it's required that an administrator be on property during sporting events. This may mean that he or she is at the track or another field, but they must be nearby. If we eject the only adult in the game, the administrator is allowed to take a role of the coach.

Posted

I would suspend the game. In rec ball parks around here coaches have to be certified by passing a background check and have to wear a badge at all times.

I would not allow just anybody to take over

Posted

For a high school game, consult your state for their interpretation. In Missouri, it's required that an administrator be on property during sporting events. This may mean that he or she is at the track or another field, but they must be nearby. If we eject the only adult in the game, the administrator is allowed to take a role of the coach.

True for home team, not so much for the visitors.

Posted

I'm sure all of you have called games where the head coach is the only adult responsible for the team. There are no assistants, so a helmeted player goes to coach first base when the team is on offense. This could happen in youth ball or freshman HS ball.

Well, if you eject a coach in this situation, isn't it an automatic forfeit because you don't have another responsible adult present? Has anyone had this happen?

What am I missing here? Is it illegal in that league to have a helmeted player coach first base? I am aware of no HS rule that would prohibit this.

You have to read the OP. It is perfectly ok to have a helmeted player as first base coach...the question is if there is only 1 adult and he gets the boot, how do you proceed with the game as there is no longer an adult responsible for the team.

I am for the restrict option and if that doesn't work, suspend and let the league figure out the gory details.

  • Like 1
Posted

True for home team, not so much for the visitors.

It does give the home team an "advantage," for sure. For the record, here's MSHSAA's ruling for ejections:

Coach:

1. Coach removed from playing area and bleachers, but should remain available should an emergency situation arise. Coach must be out of sight or sound of the contest (i.e. visiting coach could go to bus).

2. Game may continue only if a bona fide school faculty member and/or administrator is available to substitute for the coach on the bench.

3. Should there not be a faculty member and/or administrator available, the game will be forfeited.

Player:

1. Player is removed from game and must remain in the team's dugout.

2. Should ejected player continue to create a disturbance, the game shall be forfeited.

Posted

This is possible place to use the restriction rule. I never have but it is possibility.

Not all rule sets permit "restriction" i.e. OBR which is what we play up here north of the Border ( which is a funny term, because 27 US states have land north of Canada's southernmost point). If a coach is bad enough to get "restricted" then it is time for them to go home.

Posted

This is possible place to use the restriction rule. I never have but it is possibility.

I like the restriction idea but in Florida we don't have restrictions

Posted

For a high school game, consult your state for their interpretation. In Missouri, it's required that an administrator be on property during sporting events. This may mean that he or she is at the track or another field, but they must be nearby. If we eject the only adult in the game, the administrator is allowed to take a role of the coach.

True for home team, not so much for the visitors.

Most visiting teams around here send an administrator/supervisor for all away contests as well. I know they do for sports like football, basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, etc.

Posted

north of the Border ( which is a funny term, because 27 US states have land north of Canada's southernmost point).

Yes, and all 50 are south of some portion of Canada.

Posted

I'm sure all of you have called games where the head coach is the only adult responsible for the team. There are no assistants, so a helmeted player goes to coach first base when the team is on offense. This could happen in youth ball or freshman HS ball.

Well, if you eject a coach in this situation, isn't it an automatic forfeit because you don't have another responsible adult present? Has anyone had this happen?

What am I missing here? Is it illegal in that league to have a helmeted player coach first base? I am aware of no HS rule that would prohibit this.

I am for the restrict option and if that doesn't work, suspend and let the league figure out the gory details.

In Ohio ( Fed), we do have the restriction option, which I've never used, yet. An coach ejection results in a coach's fine, 2 game suspension, and an "anger mngmnt" online course that isnt free. This is fairly recent, and I believe that it has given umpires pause to actually eject because of the large penalty. But thats not me, though I havent tossed or restricted since the it came about. Guess I havent had a game where the coach ejected himself (lol), or an asst coach doing something stupid that causes the HC to be restricted.

In the OP, the team only has 1 coach. That has NO bearing on me holding back from ejecting if the coach deserved it. Its his fault he doesnt have an asst.

We need to be consistent. If you would restrict the coach for an ejectable offense in the OP, then you should do it for any action, no matter the # of coaches. (which I disagree with, of course)

Posted

An coach ejection results in a coach's fine, 2 game suspension, and an "anger mngmnt" online course that isnt free. This is fairly recent, and I believe that it has given umpires pause to actually eject because of the large penalty.

They should give umpires a reward for ejections. That would solve the problem. :)

Posted

This is possible place to use the restriction rule. I never have but it is possibility.

Not all rule sets permit "restriction" i.e. OBR which is what we play up here north of the Border ( which is a funny term, because 27 US states have land north of Canada's southernmost point). If a coach is bad enough to get "restricted" then it is time for them to go home.

I agree 100%. I have never restricted a coach since the rule was put in. They either crossed a line or they didn't. I tossed a coach a couple of weeks ago and that was the first in about six years. It's not because I won't toss, it's because they know I know the rules really well and I will toss. They may ask for a rules explanation but rarely will actually argue.

Posted

For a high school game, consult your state for their interpretation. In Missouri, it's required that an administrator be on property during sporting events. This may mean that he or she is at the track or another field, but they must be nearby. If we eject the only adult in the game, the administrator is allowed to take a role of the coach.

One of our guys dumped a Varsity HS coach, and the librarian took his place on the bench !

Posted

One of our guys dumped a Varsity HS coach, and the librarian took his place on the bench !

Knowing how some schools work today, this may have been the first time some of the students saw the librarian.

Posted

One of our guys dumped a Varsity HS coach, and the librarian took his place on the bench !

Knowing how some schools work today, this may have been the first time some of the students saw the librarian.

Now that's funny right there. :cheers:

×
×
  • Create New...