Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 6270 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I bought mine flimsy snaps came lose and didn't fasten. I solved the problem at the local taylor i had a button sewn in so it makes the pants always stay on. Great price at purchase officals

  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

I bought mine flimsy snaps came lose and didn't fasten. I solved the problem at the local taylor i had a button sewn in so it makes the pants always stay on. Great price at purchase officals

This was allegedly a problem with last year's pants, that they have fixed with this years.

I personally haven't has a problem with either year's vrsion.

Posted

I still waiting to use my new Smitty pants.

I bought a pair of the charcoal plate and base last year (the first run of their slacks). After reading a lot of people were having trouble with them I got a little nervous when I started shopping to add a couple more pairs of charcoal. After reading a few things Mr. Kirk said about the slack I decided to go a head a get the Smitty's. They look great and have a good value. I'm still wearing the first set of Smitty's that I bought as I haven't had any problems with them.

Posted

are the smittys the same color charcoal as the honigs or the davis?

I need a pair for HS next year and I would really rather save my poly-wools for college ball.

Posted

I think MajorDave and Jim Kirk have stated that they couldn't tell a difference in color between the Smitty's and Honig's (Poly-Wool).

As far as matching up against Davis, I'm not sure.

Hopefully, I'm not off base too much, and if I'm incorrect they will clarify.

Posted

the davis pants are a different shade of charcoal than the honigs pants are. So much so you can tell the difference from a good ways away.

Posted

are the smittys the same color charcoal as the honigs or the davis?

I need a pair for HS next year and I would really rather save my poly-wools for college ball.

See my post #22.

Add: The Smitty's and the Honig's Poly Wools use a similar loooking material. It has a bit of a "nap" to it.

The Honig's ultimate are the same material as all the various heather pants that we are used to.

The GD charcoal is a different material -- similar to Dickie's work pants.

Best: Exactly match your partner.

Second Place: One wears Honigs poly-wool, the other Smittys

Acceptable (you'll both look like umpires who chose the same color): One wears GD, the other wears either Smitty's or Honig's PolyWool. (This is no different from different shades / style of "navy blue" shirts)

Not good: Heather with anything else. Honig's ultimate with anything else.

Posted

I am looking to buy some honigs charcoal...is ther that big of a difference? I have the Smitty Charcoal now and don't like the fit...love the construction, price, feel & color. I am not crazy about the Davis charcoal...almost everyone in my area uses them.

Posted

Nothing will ever match GD color wise. That "special" green tone is unique to them!

Posted

almost everyone in my area uses them.

Honestly if this is the case I would probably go with the Davis pants since the color of the davis is completely different than all the other pants.:banghead:

Posted

I have Smitty base and plate pants from last year in charcoal. I also have poly-wool plate pants that I bought this year.

The color of the Smitty pants is VERY similar to the poly wools. The material and fit is where the Honigs are superior. The Smitty material isn't all that bad, but the poly-wool material is much higher quality. The Smittys also bunch up around the waist a little bit after they're washed. The poly-wools also have a much better crease down the front and back.

If you can afford them, the poly-wools are the way to go. If not, the Smittys work well for me as well. They aren't bad pants at all, just not quite as god as the Honigs in my opinion. The Davis pants are most definitely darker than either pant and the material is much different. I don't care for them.

Posted

Honestly if this is the case I would probably go with the Davis pants since the color of the davis is completely different than all the other pants.:WTF

I like being different :confused:

I have Davis pants now in heather...not bad just not a huge fan of the fabric they use...but I understand the charcoal is different. I will probably get them, just like to make the best decision possible with my game checks.

:smachhead:

Posted

I agree... I personally swear by the Honigs Poly-Wool pants but since most of the people in your area have the GD charcoal pants I would go with those.

When I finally get the chance to move to Portland as is planned I will be checking with the guys up there what color pants are used the most Honigs or GD.

  • 1 month later...
Posted

I like these pants. I have a pair of plate and base. I have used them enough times now to make a more informed decision, and I am very pleased with them. Granted, they are not on par with the Honigs Poly-Wools, but for almost half the price, they get the job done. I prefer the color and fabric of these to the Gerry Davis pants, which I have two pairs of. They are not hotter, nor cooler than the GD's, but the look is much better. Whether on a budget or not, these pants are highly recommended. I too have shied away from their products because of the stigma of the name, but after trying them, I'm over it, and will purchase a couple more pairs of each.


×
×
  • Create New...