Where is the umpire interference call

dumbdumb

2023-2024 NCAA rule 8-3i:

If a thrown or pitched ball strikes an umpire, the ball is in play and the base runner or runners are entitled to all the bases they can make;

Also, rule 6-1b tells us that the ball remains in play if a thrown ball strikes an umpire.

• Like 2

Man I feel for that guy...I really do. I had a very similar situation occur and thank goodness it was not a high-leverage game or moment. This was one of those "game-decided-after-the-2nd-inning-I-could-not-get-out-of-the-way" moments. It's very difficult to have to look a coach in the eye and say, "Yes, Coach the ball hit me. No, Coach of course I was trying not to be in the way. No Coach, by rule that situation does not meet the criteria for umpire interference and the runners will not get a base award. No Coach, I can't believe it happened either..."

Does anyone know in that UK/WSU game if the coach came out of the dugout on that? The only clip I can find is that Twitter clip which is stopped shortly after the ball strikes the umpire...just curious what the team/coach's reaction on that was?

~Dawg

• Like 1