Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 969 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Whelp....I was severely injured and had surgery a week ago; full recovery will be 12-18 months.  I lost my entire JuCo season as a result, but the high school association will let me take a few games on the bases only (I absolutely cannot get hit with a foul).  They are also naming me as the evaluator.  So what advice do you have for a new evaluator?

Posted

First off, congratulations!

My advice:  Don't suck.

Seriously though, I'd say remember things from other evaluators with whom you've interacted--both the good and the bad--and apply the lessons you learned from each.

  • Like 1
Posted

The less experienced the umpire, the less information they can absorb in a post-game evaluation. Take notes and as the game is wrapping up make note of the three biggest things and focus on those. Make sure to acknowledge and support the good things, too no matter how small or insignificant.

The more experienced the umpire, the more information they can absorb.

I don't know what your association requires but, whenever I evaluate someone, in addition to doing the post-game evaluation for the assignors, I also send my partner an email with our discussion bulleted.

~Dawg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Posted

 Mac266...I look for three general things.  1) Does he have sharp mechanics. 2) Does he hustle. 3) Does he act like he wants to be there. (Body language).  If he is the plate umpire, I watch carefully to see that he sets up consistently. Correct head height, and in the slot properly if he is using that method of calling pitches.  You should have a simple form to fill out from whoever wants you to evaluate.  If you are evaluating personally after the game, the first thing you should ask is, what he thought of his game.  That will give you an idea of his general umpire knowledge plus his sense of self-awareness. Keep your comments to what you think are the 2-3 most important things.  Email the rest of it.  When you do evaluate someone, do it in a positive manner.  You will also get those who are "Yes, but..." guys.  Always has an excuse.  Or, the people who want to do it "their way," rather than the prescribed mechanic, etc. Don't spend a lot of time with these people. They are more interested in themselves than trying to improve. Good luck!  You will be providing an important service.

  • Like 2
×
×
  • Create New...