MLB: Two reviews, one play

agdz59

Question

Just saw the Cubs review both ends of a double play grounder.  I figured they would have to choose which to review first since a confirmed review results in loss of the challenge going forward.  The umpire announced "Chicago is challenging the safe call at second and the safe call at first."  When the review is done, it was "The call at second base is confirmed, the runner is safe, the call at first is overturned, the runner is out."  The Cubs also retained their challenge.  Is that in the rule?  You can review as many reviewable aspects of a play and as long as one is overturned, you get to keep the challenge?  Seems backward to me. 

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

1 hour ago, agdz59 said:

Just saw the Cubs review both ends of a double play grounder.  I figured they would have to choose which to review first since a confirmed review results in loss of the challenge going forward.  The umpire announced "Chicago is challenging the safe call at second and the safe call at first."  When the review is done, it was "The call at second base is confirmed, the runner is safe, the call at first is overturned, the runner is out."  The Cubs also retained their challenge.  Is that in the rule?  You can review as many reviewable aspects of a play and as long as one is overturned, you get to keep the challenge?  Seems backward to me. 

From MLB.com 

"A manager may challenge as many reviewable calls within a single play as he desires using one challenge. The club retains its manager challenge if the replay official overturns any challenged call (even if he upholds other challenged calls), and loses its manager challenge if no calls are overturned. Once a club has exhausted its available manager challenge(s), it will no longer have the ability to challenge any additional play or call in the game."

9 hours ago, agdz59 said:

I din't think either would get overturned.