Lil' help with this no-balk call?

Velho
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 472 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

4 minutes ago, Ump242 said:

Agreed, and that makes total sense, thing is that depending on the level of ball, there might be some space (obr) or should be no space (fed) as that might signify the hybrid, and that has a few other issues mixed in

Because while in obr, where you are alot to pick off from the wind up, in fed you can't... Though to be honest, I haven't seen a wind up pick off yet

You can have space in an unambiguous set position--it doesn't mean it's a hybrid.

• 8 months later...

Just to get some feedback...

"(a) The pitcher, while touching his plate, makes any motion naturally associated with his pitch and fails to make such delivery;"

I tell my pitchers that if they do something that looks like they're pitching, then they have to pitch. We try to keep the pick off throws vanilla so to speak.

When this pitcher move the lead leg towards second base and raises the glove up into the air, he is looking like he's pitching. I'm not saying that I would call a balk on this, but I'm curious what others thoughts are.

4 hours ago, Toggy said:

Just to get some feedback...

"(a) The pitcher, while touching his plate, makes any motion naturally associated with his pitch and fails to make such delivery;"

I tell my pitchers that if they do something that looks like they're pitching, then they have to pitch.

The rule, and your paraphrase of it, is incomplete.  IT needs to include something like" motion naturally associated with his pitch *that is not also associated with a direct pick-off throw"

• Thanks 1