2022 NCAA Test

alex7

Ask a nerd!

Decently written test, would say only 2-3 were written ambiguously or possibly incorrect unless you understand what the writer was thinking.

Screenshot_20220107-121307.png

• Like 3

One of those possibly poorly written questions asks when a pitcher must be removed.

It lists among the options when a coach illegally makes a visit after having used up all of his team's allotment, or after the coach's three visits.

The answer it wants is "all of the above."

However, by rule, you would NOT change the P at that point, since that's what the coach wanted to do, illegally. Obviously we wait until the AB is finished, then the P is removed. But he must pitch to the batter first. So it seemed like a possibly poorly written question, imo.

I'm having a heck of a time finding a definitive answer to the question about a batter showing up to the plate without a sticker showing it's been tested.   Would the batter be out or is it just hey, go grab a legal bat?   

For the record, the section dealing with bat testing is HORRIBLY written.  Numerous grammatical mistakes....as if nobody proof-read it.  lol

4 hours ago, BuckeyeMike said:

I'm having a heck of a time finding a definitive answer to the question about a batter showing up to the plate without a sticker showing it's been tested.   Would the batter be out or is it just hey, go grab a legal bat?   

For the record, the section dealing with bat testing is HORRIBLY written.  Numerous grammatical mistakes....as if nobody proof-read it.  lol

So the question at hand is whether the bat falls into the category of "illegal" since it wasn't tested (thus batter is out as soon as noticed/appealed), or does the bat fall under the category similar to a bat that has pine tar too far up and must be removed from the game, but is not an out?

Does not having a bat tested render it illegal or just not fit for use?

14 hours ago, SH0102 said:

So the question at hand is whether the bat falls into the category of "illegal" since it wasn't tested (thus batter is out as soon as noticed/appealed), or does the bat fall under the category similar to a bat that has pine tar too far up and must be removed from the game, but is not an out?

Does not having a bat tested render it illegal or just not fit for use?

Check Appendix G Sec. 2 (d):  The term "shall" should answer the question, but not as directly as most questions on this test.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, humanbackstop19 said:

Check Appendix G Sec. 2 (d):  The term "shall" should answer the question, but not as directly as most questions on this test.  

Identifying Approved Bats
SECTION 2. Bats passing bat testing shall be identified as approved with a tamper proof sticker at the taper area of the bat. The taper area is the area at the bottom of the barrel, just above the handle.
a. Series at campus location – Bats shall be tested prior to the first game of the series. Bats shall be identified as passing by placing the opposing team’s tamper proof sticker on the bat.
b. Single date of competition at campus or neutral location – Bats are shall
be tested prior to all single dates of competition at a campus or neutral site location. Bats shall be identified as passing by placing the opposing team’s tamper proof sticker on the bat.
c. Tournament or neutral site events – Bats shall be tested prior to the first contest during a tournament or neutral site event. Bats shall be identified as passing with a tournament or event tamper proof sticker provided by the host institution or entity.

d. The tamper proof sticker shall be applied to the same location on the bat to allow a single tamper proof sticker for the applicable game, series or tournament shall be the prominently visible sticker to identify the bat a compliant.

In other words, no sticker, not legal. So, if it was tested but does not have a sticker = too bad. If it was not tested, it should not have a sticker.

To paraphrase a favorite movie....
No sticky, no use-y.  :)

One question asks if the pitcher must indicate "to the plate umpire" (emphasis added) that he is winding up from what would normally be considered the starting position for the set.

A friend answered it "False", because the rule only states he must report such intention "to the umpire", which he took to mean "any member of the umpiring crew", and that was marked wrong. Given the difference in wording between the book and the test, I think False is the correct answer.... just a heads up on that one.

19 hours ago, jms1425 said:

One question asks if the pitcher must indicate "to the plate umpire" (emphasis added) that he is winding up from what would normally be considered the starting position for the set.

A friend answered it "False", because the rule only states he must report such intention "to the umpire", which he took to mean "any member of the umpiring crew", and that was marked wrong. Given the difference in wording between the book and the test, I think False is the correct answer.... just a heads up on that one.

Except this is verbatim from the 2022 clinic - Q10...and they used "plate umpire"

image.thumb.png.b8de36330a0c3f7d52fa53695dfb08e8.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubabob34 said:

Except this is verbatim from the 2022 clinic - Q10...and they used "plate umpire"

image.thumb.png.b8de36330a0c3f7d52fa53695dfb08e8.png

Fair point, but I literally looked in rule book about an hour ago and it says “must notify the umpire”.  No mention of the word “plate”.  Page 85, rule 9, section 1, 8-b “presumed to be pitching from the set position…unless the pitcher notified the umpire that they will be pitching from the windup”

goes on to say “a pitcher will be permitted to notify the umpire that they will be pitching from the windup…”

then says “the umpire shall call time and notify the offensive team…”

nowhere is word “plate” mentioned in this part

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SH0102 said:

Fair point, but I literally looked in rule book about an hour ago and it says “must notify the umpire”.  No mention of the word “plate”.  Page 85, rule 9, section 1, 8-b “presumed to be pitching from the set position…unless the pitcher notified the umpire that they will be pitching from the windup”

goes on to say “a pitcher will be permitted to notify the umpire that they will be pitching from the windup…”

then says “the umpire shall call time and notify the offensive team…”

nowhere is word “plate” mentioned in this part

Not disagreeing with you - but there's lot in the rulebook open to interpretation....

And I think if you look at the video clip they used (granted it was MLB) - U3 asked the plate guy if he declared to him.  Finally, I think it makes sense to declare to the plate umpire, as someone has to notify the offensive team, and I'm thinking it makes the most sense for him to just turn to the dugout and tell them...

So - I think that's the convention I'm going to use in my games.  Pre-game it for sure, and do whatever your UIC wants!

• Like 1