first time I've heaved a kid

mac266

16U, NFHS rule set.  

I called strike 3 at a pitch waist high, outer edge of the plate.  As I rang him up, the batter turned toward me and yelled something angrily, but I couldn't hear what he said over the crowd cheering.  As he walked away, he continued looking over his shoulder at me and yelling, but I could still not hear what he was saying.  Then, as the crowd noise died down, he looked at me a third time and yelled, "That's not a goddamn strike!!!" as he slammed his bat onto the ground.

Boom, you're gone, junior.  I don't care that your mommy paid hundreds of dollars for you to play on a travel team in this tournament.  You can hang out in the parking lot.  

That's my second EJ of the year, but only the first kid I've ever heaved.  

4 hours ago, mac266 said:

You can hang out in the parking lot. 

Reads as a solid ejection.  Good job.

I'd just add that if you're sending him to the parking lot, make sure he is under adult supervision.  You may think this is weird, but he is still a minor (16).  If he becomes so distraught over the way the game went and does something to himself (for example, commits suicide) you could face liability.  I know the odds are small, but we have a rule in South Carolina high school because it apparently happened several decades ago.  If a player gets ejected from a South Carolina High School League baseball game, he stays in the dugout.  If he can't behave in the dugout the umpire can have the player removed one of two ways:  (1) an assistant coach leaves with the child (to the bus or school building) OR (2) the head coach certifies that the child is being released to his parents/guardians or to another school person (principal, athletic director) who is responsible for the child.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 12:48 PM, lawump said:

Reads as a solid ejection.  Good job.

I'd just add that if you're sending him to the parking lot, make sure he is under adult supervision.  You may think this is weird, but he is still a minor (16).  If he becomes so distraught over the way the game went and does something to himself (for example, commits suicide) you could face liability.  I know the odds are small, but we have a rule in South Carolina high school because it apparently happened several decades ago.  If a player gets ejected from a South Carolina High School League baseball game, he stays in the dugout.  If he can't behave in the dugout the umpire can have the player removed one of two ways:  (1) an assistant coach leaves with the child (to the bus or school building) OR (2) the head coach certifies that the child is being released to his parents/guardians or to another school person (principal, athletic director) who is responsible for the child.

I never send a minor to the parking lot.  Once coach has gotten his explanation and the offender is in the dugout, we continue.  What happens to him after that is out of my control.  Coach is in charge of supervision, not me, so if he sends kid away, I will be fighting that I never made him do it.

If a coach asks me, I will tell him the is allowed to stay on the bench if he behaves, if he can’t, find someone responsible to take him away (never had it happen, and I would never say it, but if a HC won’t or can’t figure it out, I might make the decision he can go to the parking lot and he might as well take the kid with him).