Not again......

Kevin_K
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1305 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I saw this article today.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2020/09/18/nashville-valor-college-prep-athlete-disqualified-muslim-hijab-tssaa/5824149002/

I understand what the rule book and the casebook say, but how can any one be so obtuse? As we saw last year with a wrestling official who enforced the rules as written, rules should be, as @JonnyCat said all those years ago,  used to solve problems rather than to create them. Many times over the years I have come across athletes wearing religiously based attire that falls outside the rules as they are written. I have never disqualified the athlete, nor will I. The coaches are advised they should get authorization from the state and they usually respond with something along the lines of "I had no idea."

It might be in the best interest of any official in any sport to consider the potential harm of enforcing the letter of these rules rather than the intent of them. Most of these rules are based in the well being of the individual athlete, teammates, and opponents. When it comes to apparel or grooming it might be best in all cases to simply allow whatever it may be as long as no one is placed in harm's way and then report the situation to whomever your local or state organizations deem as their oversight person(s).

Kevin_K is not going to be that guy. I don't need reporters calling me, camera crews recording me, or assignors asking me "WTF?".

30 minutes ago, Kevin_K said:

I don't need reporters calling me, camera crews recording me, or assignors asking me "WTF?".

Absolutely.  We have to exercise some common sense here. Looks black, without anything written/logo etc. Just play the game.

"TSSAA has always granted exceptions to any student that wishes to participate with head wear, or other articles of clothing, due to religious reasons. The rule book states that an exception may be granted if requested by the administration of the school to the state association."

I've never understood the point of a perfunctory, pro forma requirement: (1) if the school requests it; (2) the state grants it. If requests are always granted, why make students/teams/schools jump through this additional--and unnecessary--hoop?

Officiating is no different than any other walk of life...

There are people who can use their judgment in positive, helpful and inclusive ways...and there are people who use their judgment poorly.

I put all of these "equipment related restrictions" that we have seen lately on the associations and those who create and approve the rule books. If they need to consult with representatives from every social group, religion, etc...so be it. It's real simple, "Ma'am? Sir? We'd like to operate a league that is inclusive of all people. Can you please review our rulebook(s) and tell us where our rules, policies, practices and procedures run against those of your group? And then help us to work through those conflicts to try and revise our rules to work around those conflicts?"

And the truth is...maybe you aren't all inclusive. Maybe there will be conflicts that cannot be overcome. But, you are proactively trying to address those conflicts by partnering with the community because we have seen that if it's left to the officials, you are going to have these problems continuing.

Sports and life is at its best when we are fully embracing the potential of the human spirit to make our endeavors the very best they can be. I would hate to think the world misses out on seeing the next superstar because of a simple exemption for hijab, haircut or other weak restriction.

~Dog

• Like 2