Deal or no deal on +POS plate shoes?

Tree-Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1501 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The +POS low top oxford plate shoes are considered by many, including myself, to be the best looking shoes ever made. They're real leather, and polish up very nicely. They have a real steel toe, not some plastic nonsense. The soles release mud very well, and they will last a very long time if properly kept. 

Sounds perfect, no?

But newer shoes, take any of the New Balance line, are far superior in performance. NB weigh about half as much, fit far better, and clean up with a wipe of a damp towel. An any newer shoes are far more comfortable that the +POS. It's like the difference between an expensive Italian dress shoe and a nice pair of Nike running shoes. 

I reserve my old, but great looking +POS shoes for special occasions, and only when working 4-6 man. To me, there's no reason to wear them if I need to run. 

As for the price, if these are going to be a special occasion shoe for you, AND they fit you, $75 is a great price IMO. They went for well north of a C note, and will last you a lifetime. But don't consider them as your Plan A shoes unless you're one of those umpires that plant themselves behind the plate, never removes your mask, and makes all your calls from the same position. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2020 at 1:44 PM, Tree-Ump said:

Found a new in box pair of +POS low cut plate shoes.  Seller is asking $75 which seems high but haven't been able to find a MSRP on these.  Model # PS101.  I'm also seeing that these are discontinued but that's not a problem for me.  TIA

Classics. They use to be the standard and if brand new that is a good price. With that said based on what’s available today they are not an everyday shoe. Special occasions only.