Cause for review

Umpire in Chief
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1783 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Watching Game 2 of my ECU Pirates vs Campbell Camels last night. There was a review I found myself questioning. Not the calls mind you; the need to go to review.

Bottom of the 8th, one out, bases loaded ECU ahead 8-3 or something like that. Batter hits a chopper to F3.  Play at the plate the plate up was all over it and it wasn't a questionable call. As the biggest ECU homer I can say without my umpiring cap on, The ECU runner was out no question. Bur the coach appealed and they went to reply. 

As I've mentioned I've been away and I didn't attend the NCAA clinic for 2019, so...

Question 1 Must they go to replay when asked? Can't they say, "No coach, I've got this and I'm 100% confident in my call." Or is that a directive from above for this level? 

Then, while the PU and the UIC had the headphones on, the Campbell coach came out and spoke to U2.

The initial call on the play at the plate was confirmed (duh), now it gets interesting... Campbell wants interference on the BR (this was the speculation of the commentators, but the only thing that made sense) 

The BR, after hitting the chopper to F3, was running inside the foul line. I'll say maybe as much as 3 feet inside.  F3 fielded the ball pretty close to what I'd call the 2-man B position, but more to the 1st base side. So there first could have been no RLI since it was a ball coming from F3 to F2. Then, even being 3 feet in fair territory he couldn't have interfered with the throw home if he tried. IMO for me to call interference in that situation he's going to have to throw himself at the thrown ball, but he was running towards first, nothing special.  While the PU has the play at the plate, he could have easily recognized there was no interference as F3 was fielding and U1 is also there who can follow the play after PU has to go attend to the plate.  

Back to question 1; must they go to replay when asked?

Then this was even more of a no-brainer I think the umps could have just gotten together on and determined without replay. 

But I will say this all the umps in the Greenville Regional did a great job. I can actually only think of one call and it was a pitch I said "oooh" to myself on.  But seven games  ( I watched all 5 of the ECU games and parts of the other 2) and only 1 pitch I questioned from the comfort of my couch at home or desk at work, that's beyond fabulous. Add to that I saw a few of them smiling laughing with each other, the players and coaches. Highest cudos to the guys working that regional they not only were fabulous but they were having fun too.

I don’t think it’s “mandatory” to go to replay, but if it’s available and the play is reviewable, you need to look at it. I don’t want to be the guy who tells a coach no, then have the message on my phone when I get in the locker room from the NCAA saying I missed it. 

• Like 3

From the 2019-2020 NCAA Rule Book Appendix E

Getting the Call Right with the use of video review:

SECTION 2. The following plays will be reviewable by the crew chief at his discretion at any time during the game or with the use of a coach’s challenge (each coach is permitted two challenges per game):

a. Deciding if a batted ball is fair or foul. The ball must first touch the ground or a fielder beyond the initial position of the first or third baseman.

b. Deciding if a batted ball is either a ground-rule double or a home run.

c. Any “catch” or “no catch” ruling in the outfield or foul territory.

d. A “no catch” ruling in the infield in some instances. With runners on base, a “no catch” within the infield can be changed to a “catch” only if it results in a third out. With no runners on base, a “no catch” within the infield can be changed to a “catch” at any time.

e. Spectator interference.

f. Deciding scoring plays at home plate inclusive of collisions (illegal and/or malicious slides) or time plays.

The following plays will be reviewable only by a coach’s challenge at any time during the game or at the crew chief’s discretion during in the last two innings of regulation and any extra innings:

g. Force and tag play calls at any base.

h. Calls involving whether a base runner passes a preceding runner; determining whether a base runner scored ahead of a third out; and upon an appropriate appeal by the defensive team, determining whether a base runner touched a base.

i. Plays involving a hit by pitch.

j. Deciding if a runner failed to retouch a base after a fair or foul ball is legally caught.

k. Non-home run boundary calls including the placement of runners following a boundary call.

l. Deciding if interference occurred on a runner’s attempt to break up a double play.

When centralized video review is used, the off-field video review official will be considered an extension of the umpiring crew and will have the ability to notify the umpires on the field that a review should be initiated. The video review official will be permitted at any time to initiate a review for plays included in the first list (a-f) above. For the second list (g-l), the video review official can initiate review during the final two innings of regulation and during extra innings. The following criteria will be used by institutions and conferences using video review during the regular season:

I just saw a press conference with the Campbell Coach (Class act). He stated his review was about the ECU HC talking to his team during the initial review and him being out of offensive charged conferences. He admitted he was hoping it would keep Jake Washer off the field. 

22 hours ago, Umpire in Chief said:

Watching Game 2 of my ECU Pirates vs Campbell Camels last night. There was a review I found myself questioning. Not the calls mind you; the need to go to review.

Bottom of the 8th, one out, bases loaded ECU ahead 8-3 or something like that. Batter hits a chopper to F3.  Play at the plate the plate up was all over it and it wasn't a questionable call. As the biggest ECU homer I can say without my umpiring cap on, The ECU runner was out no question. Bur the coach appealed and they went to reply. 

As I've mentioned I've been away and I didn't attend the NCAA clinic for 2019, so...

Question 1 Must they go to replay when asked? Can't they say, "No coach, I've got this and I'm 100% confident in my call." Or is that a directive from above for this level? 

Then, while the PU and the UIC had the headphones on, the Campbell coach came out and spoke to U2.

The initial call on the play at the plate was confirmed (duh), now it gets interesting... Campbell wants interference on the BR (this was the speculation of the commentators, but the only thing that made sense) 

The BR, after hitting the chopper to F3, was running inside the foul line. I'll say maybe as much as 3 feet inside.  F3 fielded the ball pretty close to what I'd call the 2-man B position, but more to the 1st base side. So there first could have been no RLI since it was a ball coming from F3 to F2. Then, even being 3 feet in fair territory he couldn't have interfered with the throw home if he tried. IMO for me to call interference in that situation he's going to have to throw himself at the thrown ball, but he was running towards first, nothing special.  While the PU has the play at the plate, he could have easily recognized there was no interference as F3 was fielding and U1 is also there who can follow the play after PU has to go attend to the plate.  

Then this was even more of a no-brainer I think the umps could have just gotten together on and determined without replay. 

But I will say this all the umps in the Greenville Regional did a great job. I can actually only think of one call and it was a pitch I said "oooh" to myself on.  But seven games  ( I watched all 5 of the ECU games and parts of the other 2) and only 1 pitch I questioned from the comfort of my couch at home or desk at work, that's beyond fabulous. Add to that I saw a few of them smiling laughing with each other, the players and coaches. Highest cudos to the guys working that regional they not only were fabulous but they were having fun too.

All scoring play are free replays, so the coach might have asked for, possible OBS.

RLI doesnt have to come from the PLate area.. the throw can come from wherever.. so yes there could have been RLI.

1. Yes we must... only on things that are reviewable. no we Umps cant just get together when we have replay and say " it's all good"... all scoring plays are free replays... so why not take 30sec to go and look.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Umpire in Chief said:

I just saw a press conference with the Campbell Coach (Class act). He stated his review was about the ECU HC talking to his team during the initial review and him being out of offensive charged conferences. He admitted he was hoping it would keep Jake Washer off the field. 

On 6/4/2019 at 10:15 AM, Umpire in Chief said:

I think it's the world we live in now. Anything that's even a little bit close is going to get a look, esp if it doesn't cost them anything...because they have nothing to lose.