Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2969 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Well, last Saturday, SWMBO & I traveled to Bristol, CT for the opening ceremonies of the New England/Mid Atlantic Regional tournament.  Sunday comes along, and I'm sitting in the stands, when behind me to my right, I hear this faint, yet authoritative "Strike" call.  I figured it was just someone's little brother mimicking the umpire. Then, I realize that this young voice, just gave the correct count, before the umpire/scoreboard did.  I turned around, and there was this young man (all of 10-11 y/o) with his mask on, indicator in his left hand, black umpire shirt (CP underneath) and gray pants (albeit baseball pants).  So I asked mom if I could get a couple of pictures.  As soon as I was done, he asked "Can I come down there (in the front row) with you?  Without hesitation, I invited him down.  Now, when I say this young man was all in........when the PU cleaned the plate, Matthew would pull his plate brush out of his ball bag and clean the imaginary plate between his feet.........put the brush away.......put his mask back on.......check his indicator.....point to the pitcher and yell "PLAY"!

**note** Matthew plays in his local challenger division of little league baseball.  For those not familiar with Little League, the Challenger division is for children with physical and/or mental disabilities. 

So as soon as I see this, I send a text to an umpire friend of mine who is manning the replay booth...."You have GOT to see this.  I'm in blue seats next to umpire gate" #UmpFan  Several minutes later, I get a text back saying that we are getting ALOT of air time.  Come to find out, ESPN+ had put this on a split scree with the PU. You will see that Matthew waits for the PU to make a call, then makes his, and give s the count.  SWMBO found it on that book face thing she has on her phone.  I posted it on twitter. Fortunately, they cropped the video and only captured my elbow.  However, SWMBO was sitting in the row behind me, and is the blonde on the right side of the screen in the opening shot of the video. 

 

Not all heroes wear capes

https://www.littleleague.org/videos/young-umpire-calls-game-from-the-stands/

20180805_132821Matthew.thumb.jpg.da8c1249d201df0891302a0580a425f8.jpg

  • Like 1
Posted
3 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

Well, last Saturday, SWMBO & I traveled to Bristol, CT for the opening ceremonies of the New England/Mid Atlantic Regional tournament.  Sunday comes along, and I'm sitting in the stands, when behind me to my right, I hear this faint, yet authoritative "Strike" call.  I figured it was just someone's little brother mimicking the umpire. Then, I realize that this young voice, just gave the correct count, before the umpire/scoreboard did.  I turned around, and there was this young man (all of 10-11 y/o) with his mask on, indicator in his left hand, black umpire shirt (CP underneath) and gray pants (albeit baseball pants).  So I asked mom if I could get a couple of pictures.  As soon as I was done, he asked "Can I come down there (in the front row) with you?  Without hesitation, I invited him down.  Now, when I say this young man was all in........when the PU cleaned the plate, Matthew would pull his plate brush out of his ball bag and clean the imaginary plate between his feet.........put the brush away.......put his mask back on.......check his indicator.....point to the pitcher and yell "PLAY"!

**note** Matthew plays in his local challenger division of little league baseball.  For those not familiar with Little League, the Challenger division is for children with physical and/or mental disabilities. 

So as soon as I see this, I send a text to an umpire friend of mine who is manning the replay booth...."You have GOT to see this.  I'm in blue seats next to umpire gate" #UmpFan  Several minutes later, I get a text back saying that we are getting ALOT of air time.  Come to find out, ESPN+ had put this on a split scree with the PU. You will see that Matthew waits for the PU to make a call, then makes his, and give s the count.  SWMBO found it on that book face thing she has on her phone.  I posted it on twitter. Fortunately, they cropped the video and only captured my elbow.  However, SWMBO was sitting in the row behind me, and is the blonde on the right side of the screen in the opening shot of the video. 

 

Not all heroes wear capes

https://www.littleleague.org/videos/young-umpire-calls-game-from-the-stands/

20180805_132821Matthew.thumb.jpg.da8c1249d201df0891302a0580a425f8.jpg

Love it.

×
×
  • Create New...